+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing Experience

shmuhahaha

Star Member
Nov 17, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Arrived by Rental Car from U.S at Sarnia,ON-PortHuron,MI(US-Canada) border checkpoint on Saturday afternoon
on March 19,2010.
Our Situation:
Wife - Immigrant(Landing)
Myself(Husband) - Canadian citizen
3 Kids(Dual Canadian and U.S Citizens)
CheckPost officer: Citizenship?
Myself: 4 Canadians and 1 Indian. But,We are here for my wife's landing Process.
Checkpost officer: Please hand me your passports and your wife's COPR?
CheckPost officer:How long have been everyone living outside of Canada?
Myself: I've been working in the U.S since 2001.All my kids were born in the U.S.
My wife have been living with me since we got married on 2002.
CheckPost Officer: So everyone is moving to Canada for good?
Myself: No Mam, My wife and 2 younger kids(boys) will be moving to Canada this time and myself
and my first kid will be going back to the U.S over the week. I still have a job in U.S
and my daughter school will end in June Mid. My wife will visit U.S for one more time in June to wrap up loose ends.
My daughter and myself are planning to move back to Canada after June.
Myself: I may come back in 2 weeks to attend few interviews in Ontario.
Checkpost Officer: Do you have the goods to follow list right now?
Myself: Yes Maam.
Checkpost Officer: Is this your Car?
Myself: No, It is is rental car and I've 2 cars back in the U.S.
Checkpost Officer: Ok. Make sure you mention this to the officers in the Immigration building.
Myself: Okay.
Checkpost officer: How much money are you bringing in today(including Cash, Travellers cheques etc)?
Myself: xxxx dollars
She gave us a yellow slip with my rental car information, money informatione etc and asked us to proceed to the immigration building. She also handed all our passports + my wife's COPR.

A Custom officer was giving directions to park our car near the Immigration building and she advised us to take all the required documents to the immigration building. She told us to lock the cars and she indicated that she is not going to do any inspections.

We all went inside the immigration building. We were the only ones for immigration. After 5 minutes, there were around 15 persons for immigrating the same day.
Immigration officer: What are you here for?
Myself: For my wife's immigration.
Immigration Officer: Please give me all your passports and your wife's COPR..
Immigration officer was entering information in his system and since my wife has only one name he had to ask his collegue to figure how to enter one name in the system.

The whole process took about 15 minutes and kids were running in the hallway and one more officer asked us to control our kids.
The immigration officer asked us for an address in Canada and we provided our Sister's address near Toronto.
He told my wife that the PR card would arrive within 2 to 4 weeks. And she can travel back and forth with COPR form attached to passport in the mean time.

At the end he said to my wife: "WELCOME TO CANADA". That was a great feeling to be welcomed..

Immigration Officer: Do you have your b4 and b4a forms for additional goods? If not we'll provide you one.

We indicated we have one and handed over to him. He instead handed over to another Customs Officer.

Customer Officer: Are you bringing in your car today?
Myself: No Sir, we drove using Rental Car and our own cars are under my title and I'm not sure, if I can bring under her customs list since she is the immigrant. Also, I may sell my car before coming in here and I'm not sure about it.
Customer Officer: Thats fine. You(Myself) then can bring your cars when you move back and we'll give your 10000 Canadian dollars exemption for each car as a returning resident since you're away from Canada for more than 1 year.
He then photocopied the b4 and b4a forms and gave it to us when we come back to Canada next time.

We then went to the neary by Tim Horton's place for a mini-celebration :)

Reactions: wings149

BZ Mom

Mar 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/10/2008
Nomination.....
06/01/2009
AOR Received.
19/08/2009
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Done....
28/12/2009
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
01/03/2010
VISA ISSUED...
20/04/2010
LANDED..........
27/11/2010
shmuhahaha said:
Arrived by Rental Car from U.S at Sarnia,ON-PortHuron,MI(US-Canada) border checkpoint on Saturday afternoon
on March 19,2010.
Our Situation:
Wife - Immigrant(Landing)
Myself(Husband) - Canadian citizen
3 Kids(Dual Canadian and U.S Citizens)
CheckPost officer: Citizenship?
Myself: 4 Canadians and 1 Indian. But,We are here for my wife's landing Process.
Checkpost officer: Please hand me your passports and your wife's COPR?
CheckPost officer:How long have been everyone living outside of Canada?
Myself: I've been working in the U.S since 2001.All my kids were born in the U.S.
My wife have been living with me since we got married on 2002.
CheckPost Officer: So everyone is moving to Canada for good?
Myself: No Mam, My wife and 2 younger kids(boys) will be moving to Canada this time and myself
and my first kid will be going back to the U.S over the week. I still have a job in U.S
and my daughter school will end in June Mid. My wife will visit U.S for one more time in June to wrap up loose ends.
My daughter and myself are planning to move back to Canada after June.
Myself: I may come back in 2 weeks to attend few interviews in Ontario.
Checkpost Officer: Do you have the goods to follow list right now?
Myself: Yes Maam.
Checkpost Officer: Is this your Car?
Myself: No, It is is rental car and I've 2 cars back in the U.S.
Checkpost Officer: Ok. Make sure you mention this to the officers in the Immigration building.
Myself: Okay.
Checkpost officer: How much money are you bringing in today(including Cash, Travellers cheques etc)?
Myself: xxxx dollars
She gave us a yellow slip with my rental car information, money informatione etc and asked us to proceed to the immigration building. She also handed all our passports + my wife's COPR.

A Custom officer was giving directions to park our car near the Immigration building and she advised us to take all the required documents to the immigration building. She told us to lock the cars and she indicated that she is not going to do any inspections.

We all went inside the immigration building. We were the only ones for immigration. After 5 minutes, there were around 15 persons for immigrating the same day.
Immigration officer: What are you here for?
Myself: For my wife's immigration.
Immigration Officer: Please give me all your passports and your wife's COPR..
Immigration officer was entering information in his system and since my wife has only one name he had to ask his collegue to figure how to enter one name in the system.

The whole process took about 15 minutes and kids were running in the hallway and one more officer asked us to control our kids.
The immigration officer asked us for an address in Canada and we provided our Sister's address near Toronto.
He told my wife that the PR card would arrive within 2 to 4 weeks. And she can travel back and forth with COPR form attached to passport in the mean time.

At the end he said to my wife: "WELCOME TO CANADA". That was a great feeling to be welcomed..

Immigration Officer: Do you have your b4 and b4a forms for additional goods? If not we'll provide you one.

We indicated we have one and handed over to him. He instead handed over to another Customs Officer.

Customer Officer: Are you bringing in your car today?
Myself: No Sir, we drove using Rental Car and our own cars are under my title and I'm not sure, if I can bring under her customs list since she is the immigrant. Also, I may sell my car before coming in here and I'm not sure about it.
Customer Officer: Thats fine. You(Myself) then can bring your cars when you move back and we'll give your 10000 Canadian dollars exemption for each car as a returning resident since you're away from Canada for more than 1 year.
He then photocopied the b4 and b4a forms and gave it to us when we come back to Canada next time.

We then went to the neary by Tim Horton's place for a mini-celebration :)
This is great! Thanks for sharing. Question, why did you use a rental car? Any problem entering Canada using your car from the US? Can you give me an idea on the cost of renting a car? We are currently living in Virginia and planning to enter Canada for landing via the Niagara border, I am an Alberta nominee. We intend to return to the US and go back to Canada for good by April or June 2011. I would prefer using our own car, will this be more complicated (or expensive) than renting a car?

Thanks, and congratulations to you and your family!

shmuhahaha

Star Member
Nov 17, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
BZ Mom said:
This is great! Thanks for sharing. Question, why did you use a rental car? Any problem entering Canada using your car from the US? Can you give me an idea on the cost of renting a car? We are currently living in Virginia and planning to enter Canada for landing via the Niagara border, I am an Alberta nominee. We intend to return to the US and go back to Canada for good by April or June 2011. I would prefer using our own car, will this be more complicated (or expensive) than renting a car?

Thanks, and congratulations to you and your family!
Renting a car was for my own personal reason. Needed a better car :). From what I have known from my friends and forums, driving your own car won't be an issue at all..

BZ Mom

Mar 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/10/2008
Nomination.....
06/01/2009
AOR Received.
19/08/2009
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Done....
28/12/2009
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
01/03/2010
VISA ISSUED...
20/04/2010
LANDED..........
27/11/2010
I see! Thanks again. Will the required documentation for importing a car to Canada apply in this case?

jeby

Jan 19, 2010
Kerala, India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
15-12-2009
Med's Done....
11-01-2010
Passport Req..
15-12-2009
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2010
Nice presentation. thank you, it helps a lot.. All the best.

shmuhahaha

Star Member
Nov 17, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
BZ Mom said:
I see! Thanks again. Will the required documentation for importing a car to Canada apply in this case?
To the best of my knowledge, I guess you still need to get required documentation like export clearance etc. Please ask folks like PMM, Leon etc..They'll have more insight..

max_lee

May 13, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-06-2008
AOR Received.
01-11-2008
IELTS Request
02-03-2009
Med's Request
29-05-2009
Med's Done....
10-06-2009
Passport Req..
02-22-1010
VISA ISSUED...
02-25-1010
LANDED..........
01-04-2010
Hi BZ Mom,

You will require import documentation for Canada and Export from US side, but that needs to be done only when you are planning to Import the car to Canada for good. If your intention is just to complete Landing formalities then make sure you list the car in the goods to follow list,that's it you don't need to do the Import/Export formalities now.

Hope this clarifies.

Rgds

Max

BZ Mom

Mar 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/10/2008
Nomination.....
06/01/2009
AOR Received.
19/08/2009
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Done....
28/12/2009
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
01/03/2010
VISA ISSUED...
20/04/2010
LANDED..........
27/11/2010
Thanks shmuhahaha and max_lee! Your inputs are very helpful. :)