+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landed!!

jacer

Apr 29, 2005
Illinois, USA
Hi.

Just wanted to tell everyone, that my "landing" is official!!!

I did not find much info regarding the landing process, so thought I'd share my experience with ya'all.

Am American, married to a Canadian. Our process, took a whopping 4 1/2 months(that isnt a typo!!) using spousal category.

I flew from Chicago to Toronto's Pearson airport this past weekend, not knowing what to expect. I took a gazillion pieces of paperwork with me(birth certificate, marriage license, banking statements, etc) and 2 copies of my "goods to follow" list.

At the customs/immigration "booth", i happily told the gentleman, "I'm here to land"......He got a big smile on his face(they dont seem to smile that often), and pointed me to another room. I walked in there, had a grumpy lady ask to see my COPR. She asked me to sign various places, then sent me on to another room. Had a very sweet girl, ask me for my goods to follow list. She said it was extremely well-organized and well-done. She stamped each page, stapled another form to it, and kept one for themselves. She also told me, that in all the years she worked that job, no one was at happy as I was, for "landing".......I was a bit surprised by that!!!! She handed me a few pamplets, info on SIN & insurance, and shook my hand and welcomed me.!!! That was it!!

The whole process took about 30 minutes........I didnt need ANY of my paperwork i brought along, except for my COPR, my passport, and my goods to follow list............

My perm resident card will be sent by mail, to hubby, in about a month.

So, after loads of worry, tons of $$$, and lack of sleep, the whole process is now complete.

Now, onto getting my stuff in order, and making the physical move.

As I told everyone, I am now "permanent"!!!

:D

seagirl

Mar 28, 2006
Congratulations! I am so happy for you Jacer!

Jacer, can you share some info on the questions below:

1) How long did it take for you to recieve passport request?

2) Did you go personally to the post you applied at to get your passport stamped?

3) When did you get your passport stamped and is there a certain date you have to land in canada before visa expires?

4) If you are living in Toronto, can you share some info on safe areas to live at?

Your reply will be highly appreciated!

Once again congratulations!

Sea girl

jacer

Apr 29, 2005
Illinois, USA
Landed!

Hi....Thanks for the good wishes!!!

I got my request for passport in the US mail---along with some pics I had sent with all my paperwork---and I immediatly sent my passport to the Buffalo office, by registered mail......(I think it cost around $30)....I think the info said it may take several weeks to get your stamped passport back, but for me, it took one week.......So it was all done by mail.......

You MUST land, by the one-year anniversary date of your medical exam, is my understanding......That date is again told to you, in the letter you get from Immigration--once your application has been approved......Ive read its very hard to change that date, but I dont know that for certain......

I will be moving to the Toronto area..........Housing in Toronto is outrageous......The Beaches area, is very very nice(but extremely expensive)......My husband had a average apartment, in the Beaches, and paid $1100 monthly(CDN).....We looked at houses in Toronto last summer, and you cant find a dump for less than $200,000.......Also, Toronto used to be extremely safe but has been getting a bit worse lately.....

Hope this helps.....GOOD LUCK!!