+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDED NAIJA APPLICANT PLEASE SHARE YOUR EXPERINCE

DonBaker

Star Member
Aug 27, 2012
73
1
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
0213
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-11-2009
File Transfer...
23-01-2010
Med's Request
27-02-2012
Med's Done....
11-04-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
17-07-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-09-2012
LANDED..........
2013
Jada said:
It is true that the temp can vary widely in Calgary but the only thing one can do is dress to be on the safe side. I go out before 7am everyday when it is really really cold and I dress to keep warm. By evening when I'm returning home,I'm carrying my coat because it's not so cold anymore and you'll see others doing same.

Would you rather freeze because you don't want to look like Michelin man? :eek: Don't be worried about the kids, they'll adjust faster than you sef. Just dress them warm and there are lots of warm clothes here.

@ VincentCal, welcome to Calgary but cold never start yet ;D That initial snow was like fluke. Glad you are settling in fast.

Happy thanksgiving everyone.
Hi Jada,

How is Calgary generally in terms of jobs and cost of living? Can you give me an idea of how much it will cost to rent 2-3 room apartments in town and also how long it took you to get a job after you landed. Did you use job agancies?

Thank you.
 
 

Jibaba

Star Member
May 11, 2011
52
12
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
0213
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-04-2008
Doc's Request.
30-3-2010
IELTS Request
05-05-2011 - Scored 8.0
Med's Request
20-02-2012
Med's Done....
02-03-2012
Passport Req..
11-04-2012
@princess !

just to share my experience; when i got my visa , we wanted to get a ticket as quickly as possible ..so we needed a place to land, in my case i planned returning to naija .. so i need a temp but comfy place for my family . We chose Toronto and i casually said i will take a trip down to Calgary .
when i got in to toronto , i started making plans for the trip to calgary .. i checked onlin e, it will cost average of 800$ go come .. i said stupid people ..let me check train .... train will take at least 5 days and just 200$ cheaper without cost of food on board.. so i said coach may be like it .. that one was even worse !

i had to take a flight .... so plan ..plan ... plan .. plan ..very well !
 

gent2

Star Member
Jun 13, 2010
94
8
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
priceless said:
@ Emo wahala dey ohhhh :'(.just another question.Do Companies pay travel allowance for those kind of interview request or do they arrange for phone interviews/interviews in the province the individual is residing in? or they simply expect the individual to cover his/her travel expense?[/color.


@Priceless,
It's close to impossible to have a company pay your travel expenses to attend an interview. Most will arrange a phone and or skype interview with you first. If you are able to impress them, they will invite you for a F2F interview. If they decide to sign you on and it requires relocation, they will finance your relocation.
 

priceless

Star Member
Oct 5, 2012
148
4
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
0911
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24th Aug 2010
Doc's Request.
1-12-2011
IELTS Request
21-02-2012,IELTS result sent :26-03-2012-result(7.5)
Med's Request
22-06- 2012
Med's Done....
14-07- 2012
Passport Req..
22-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
03-12-2012
LANDED..........
13-04-2013
@jibaba and @ gent...many thanks for the info.

What would you then advice i do considering the fact that i get a free place to land in alberta.Most companies that i have contacted for job offers have their offices in Ontario and am told to notify them when am about landing .A company already scheduled an interview(somewhere in kitchener but i had to reschedule).

I know (could be corrected)for my field(manufacturing) more oppourtunities abound in ontario but why would i begin to incur unnecessary rent cost when i dont have a job on hand yet!!!am just wondering how to tackle this issue should incase it occurs.....pls ure advice landed seniors.
 

teejay

Full Member
Aug 25, 2012
32
0
122
NIGERIA
Category........
Visa Office......
ACCRA
NOC Code......
1101
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2010
Doc's Request.
13-07-2010
Nomination.....
02-2012
AOR Received.
02-2012
IELTS Request
03-2012
File Transfer...
04-2012
Med's Request
15-08-2012
Med's Done....
18-08-2012
Interview........
SKIPPED
Passport Req..
09-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
18-02-2013
LANDED..........
soon
My able seniors, please guide me,

I intend raising foreign drafts (usd) in one of the Nigerian banks for my POF, so that on landing I could open a bank account with it in Calgary, while i pocket small dollars for my immediate use for the first few days of landing.

Hope the immigration officers at the POE will not be mad at me?

I humbly seek your inputs!
 
 

gent2

Star Member
Jun 13, 2010
94
8
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
priceless said:
@ jibaba and @ gent...many thanks for the info.

What would you then advice i do considering the fact that i get a free place to land in alberta.Most companies that i have contacted for job offers have their offices in Ontario and am told to notify them when am about landing .A company already scheduled an interview(somewhere in kitchener but i had to reschedule).

I know (could be corrected)for my field(manufacturing) more oppourtunities abound in ontario but why would i begin to incur unnecessary rent cost when i dont have a job on hand yet!!!am just wondering how to tackle this issue should incase it occurs.....pls ure advice landed seniors.
I think it's better to land in Ontario in this case. Or how free is free and for how long is free? If you get a free place to land, will you also get free food and primary needs? If you have a better job prospect in Ontario, then I think its better to head there. I have not been to Ontario before but people say it's already choked meaning very tight competitions for everything...........but that is not to say you can't achieve your dreams there. I like you to consider the nearest future more than today. Paying rent before landing a job is better than living at the mercy of others. What if they disappoint you after a week, won't you still pick up a rent.
 

priceless

Star Member
Oct 5, 2012
148
4
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
0911
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24th Aug 2010
Doc's Request.
1-12-2011
IELTS Request
21-02-2012,IELTS result sent :26-03-2012-result(7.5)
Med's Request
22-06- 2012
Med's Done....
14-07- 2012
Passport Req..
22-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
03-12-2012
LANDED..........
13-04-2013
Thanks would think over it....
 

tinuadeadebola

Champion Member
Feb 28, 2010
1,077
33
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
0111
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th April 2010
Doc's Request.
22-06-2010
AOR Received.
22-06-2010
IELTS Request
already taken
File Transfer...
26-06-2010
Med's Request
June18th 2012
Med's Done....
June 21st 2012
Passport Req..
August 21st 2012
VISA ISSUED...
August 27th 2012
LANDED..........
February, 2013
gent2 said:
I think it's better to land in Ontario in this case. Or how free is free and for how long is free? If you get a free place to land, will you also get free food and primary needs? If you have a better job prospect in Ontario, then I think its better to head there. I have not been to Ontario before but people say it's already choked meaning very tight competitions for everything...........but that is not to say you can't achieve your dreams there. I like you to consider the nearest future more than today. Paying rent before landing a job is better than living at the mercy of others. What if they disappoint you after a week, won't you still pick up a rent.
Well said Gent and this info is not just for priceless but for us all!!! Even if someone offers us free accomodation we should learn that it would only be for a short while hence we start making arrangement to get our own place as soon as possible.

@Priceless you could also try applying for jobs in Alberta am sure you would also get responses, maybe the website or job agency you are using has more openings in Ontario but try filtering your search to alberta and let's see how it goes.
There is benefit landing close to someone you know but if ultimately you get more offers in Ontario then you just plaN to land there.

@all this is another pointer to the fact that we can actually apply and get feelers from employers even before landing.

Cheers all
 

yejydo

Star Member
Jun 27, 2012
122
0
122
Lagos
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
3142
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tinuadeadebola said:
Well said Gent and this info is not just for priceless but for us all!!! Even if someone offers us free accomodation we should learn that it would only be for a short while hence we start making arrangement to get our own place as soon as possible.

@ Priceless you could also try applying for jobs in Alberta am sure you would also get responses, maybe the website or job agency you are using has more openings in Ontario but try filtering your search to alberta and let's see how it goes.
There is benefit landing close to someone you know but if ultimately you get more offers in Ontario then you just plaN to land there.

@ all this is another pointer to the fact that we can actually apply and get feelers from employers even before landing.

Cheers all

Do you put a Nigerian or canadian adress on the resume if u chose to apply before landing?.. i notice many job sites will even ask u for your civil status in canada while trying to apply. hw do u do this?
 
 

Shalom1

Hero Member
Nov 7, 2010
858
19
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
4th Nov 2011
teejay said:
My able seniors, please guide me,

I intend raising foreign drafts (usd) in one of the Nigerian banks for my POF, so that on landing I could open a bank account with it in Calgary, while i pocket small dollars for my immediate use for the first few days of landing.
Hope the immigration officers at the POE will not be mad at me?
I humbly seek your inputs!
Teejay,
Pls have some reasonable amount in cash for your up keep for at least one month. Foreign bank drafts take some time to clear.
We had 2 separate drafts from 2 UK banks. It took a month for both RBC and TD banks to clear them.
Don't get stranded. Canadians may be friendly but their $$$ no dey drop.

Best wishes.
 

swinglow

Hero Member
Oct 8, 2012
261
2
Category........
Visa Office......
accra
NOC Code......
0204
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04/03/2010
AOR Received.
20/04/2010
File Transfer...
21/07/2010
Med's Request
05/06/2012
Med's Done....
14/06/2012
Interview........
skipped
Passport Req..
02/10/2012
VISA ISSUED...
09/10/2012
LANDED..........
15th march 2013
hi guys
pls i would like to know if minimum wage is being taxed in Canada and if yes, what percentage

anyone pls help
 

loolo

Hero Member
Nov 24, 2010
418
6
N/A
Category........
Visa Office......
ACCRA
NOC Code......
2151
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27 Sept 2011
AOR Received.
21 Dec 2011
IELTS Request
sent with application
File Transfer...
soon
Med's Request
31th Jan 2014
Med's Done....
15th Feb 2014
Interview........
waived
LANDED..........
Dec 2014
Depends on the province you intend to settle in.

Loolo
 

momohj25

Star Member
Nov 23, 2011
178
9
United Kingdom
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
7215
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-04-2012
AOR Received.
25-04-2012
IELTS Request
Submitted with docs
Med's Request
31-07-2012
Med's Done....
13-08-2012
Passport Req..
25-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
18-10-2012
LANDED..........
.
To all Seniors in the house!

Please, is there any known landed senior in Edmonton? will like to connect with the person
i need few information regards Edmonton

As we are stock choosing between Calgary and Edmonton. Planning to land next Month. though we dont know anybody in any of these Cities

And any information or comparisons between these two cities are welcome.

Thank you.
 
 

tinuadeadebola

Champion Member
Feb 28, 2010
1,077
33
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
0111
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th April 2010
Doc's Request.
22-06-2010
AOR Received.
22-06-2010
IELTS Request
already taken
File Transfer...
26-06-2010
Med's Request
June18th 2012
Med's Done....
June 21st 2012
Passport Req..
August 21st 2012
VISA ISSUED...
August 27th 2012
LANDED..........
February, 2013
Momoh J I know of Alayo, he landed in Sept you could send him a pm and if I can I would try and get his email and pm you so you could send him a mail. As per comparison I guess from the internet the major difference is Edmonton is Colder than Calgary but if weather is not a Major factor you might ignore that variable.

You could Pm Gent 2, VOA, Jackson Jada these are people in Calgary and would have better insights, you can also pm Barsindo am sure he has stayed in Alberta enough to help you out. PM would yeild faster response from landed seniors so try that option.
 

swinglow

Hero Member
Oct 8, 2012
261
2
Category........
Visa Office......
accra
NOC Code......
0204
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04/03/2010
AOR Received.
20/04/2010
File Transfer...
21/07/2010
Med's Request
05/06/2012
Med's Done....
14/06/2012
Interview........
skipped
Passport Req..
02/10/2012
VISA ISSUED...
09/10/2012
LANDED..........
15th march 2013
loolo said:
Depends on the province you intend to settle in.

Loolo

thanks for the reply
plan to settle in torronto