+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Job Market/ Situation in Ontario. What to expect after landing?

nemo123

Sep 7, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
To people who have recently received PPR/Landed in Canada. What do you guys suggest regarding applying for jobs in Canada. Should I apply before my arrival or is it better to apply once I land. How hard is it to find a job before landing? Do employers ask for immigration status documents/sin before offering a job? Do I need a Canadian number?

Also for people in Ontario, how is the job market for skilled and unskilled work? I keep hearing Canada needs workers after pandemic but is the same valid for Ontario?

With air tickets for a family of 3 eating up a huge chunk of my savings and cost of living in Ontario skyrocketing I need to have a job as soon as I land.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
To people who have recently received PPR/Landed in Canada. What do you guys suggest regarding applying for jobs in Canada. Should I apply before my arrival or is it better to apply once I land. How hard is it to find a job before landing? Do employers ask for immigration status documents/sin before offering a job? Do I need a Canadian number?

Also for people in Ontario, how is the job market for skilled and unskilled work? I keep hearing Canada needs workers after pandemic but is the same valid for Ontario?

With air tickets for a family of 3 eating up a huge chunk of my savings and cost of living in Ontario skyrocketing I need to have a job as soon as I land.
Really depends on what type of job you are applying for and what is your job/education history. If you are worried about savings you should probably come to Canada before the rest of your family. People should arrive in Canada with more than the POF. If airline tickets have used a good portion of your savings that is even more of a reason why you should be considering arriving before the rest of your family. Having a child with you makes everything more expensive and difficult. Much more difficult to save money on accommodation and much more difficult to “rough it” with a child with you.

nemo123

Sep 7, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Really depends on what type of job you are applying for and what is your job/education history. If you are worried about savings you should probably come to Canada before the rest of your family. People should arrive in Canada with more than the POF. If airline tickets have used a good portion of your savings that is even more of a reason why you should be considering arriving before the rest of your family. Having a child with you makes everything more expensive and difficult. Much more difficult to save money on accommodation and much more difficult to “rough it” with a child with you.

Thats true and I agree! but my spouse won't agree. We have been apart the first 2.5 years of marriage and she has refused to let me go alone. Life is short and I don't want to miss any time that I can spend with family. Therefore, I am doing all I can to get us all there together. I haven't even got PPR but I expect it very soon most likely within a month.

Are you from ontario? Could you tell me from what you here about job market in toronto/mississauga? I know getting a good job in my field will take around two months but till than do you have any tips on how to find job asap be it in a restaurant or any other unskilled?

yutaeren

Star Member
Apr 1, 2022
Thats true and I agree! but my spouse won't agree. We have been apart the first 2.5 years of marriage and she has refused to let me go alone. Life is short and I don't want to miss any time that I can spend with family. Therefore, I am doing all I can to get us all there together. I haven't even got PPR but I expect it very soon most likely within a month.

Are you from ontario? Could you tell me from what you here about job market in toronto/mississauga? I know getting a good job in my field will take around two months but till than do you have any tips on how to find job asap be it in a restaurant or any other unskilled?
Is your wife going to work as well? Then it might be easier for both of you.
We do not know what is your field exactly, it is difficult to comment on job availabilities and market, I'd say people usually are more familiar with the job market for their specific occupation.
Good luck to you and your family, hope it will be a great new start for all of you! :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

I'll give you the employer's perspective.

Don't apply until you have the PR visa and know when you'll be arriving in Canada. The risk of appying too early is that you turn off propsective employers by applying too early when they need someone in seat immediately.

In terms of the job market, you need to mention your field. Hard to make a general comment. I would say there's plenty of unskilled / low skilled work. Hard to comment on skilled without knowing your field.

nemo123

Sep 7, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you for all your replies. @scylla and @yutaeren. My field is business and last I was working for was for a top bank as an insurance advisor in Canada 3 years ago. I would start applying as soon as I get my ppr and would fly to Canada as soon as I get my passports back