+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Job in International Development - NOC Code 4164, 4163

Beulah17

Jun 17, 2017
Hello Everyone,

I have perused this forum and yet to see any mention of how to get a job in international development organizations in Canada. I am thinking of living in Calgary but realize most jobs in this sector may be found in Ottawa, Ontario.

I'd really appreciate your advice on :

a) how to go about getting a job in this sector
b) provinces with the best outlook in terms of employment
c) possibility of getting a job in a government agency (e.g CIDA) as a new permanent resident.

I'd also be happy to connect with anyone in the same boat to share ideas and experiences.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
International development jobs are extremely competitive. Usually you put in years in other countries to gain experience in international development and lots of volunteer work. CIDA doesn't exist anymore it's now global affairs. Ottawa or Toronto are probably the places where you may find a job either in a non=profit or government. A masters degree is usually required or you will be competing for jobs with people with a master's degree.

Beulah17

Jun 17, 2017
Thanks canuck78 for your response. Much appreciated and very helpful. I have about 6 years experience in international development in Nigeria. Another 6 years prior in the banking industry. Also have a Masters but not in International development. I plan to take up some volunteering once I land. Thanks again.