+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Job for Singaporean while on Tourist Visa

mfo222

Jun 28, 2019
Hi there, I have done my IELTS, have 7 years of experience in the Human Resource line and another 7 years in the Service industry . Am a born Singaporean . I am 43 this year and dont have a degree,my highest education is a certification. Am planning to take TEFL soon .

I am keen to move to Canada but am not sure where to start from. I have gone through the Embassy website but I get more confused .i have tried Express Entry but I dont qualify.I do have a relative in Ontario,and she told me to come over with a Tourist visa and try finding a job there .

On the other hand,I have a boyfriend who is a Indian citizen and currently on Work Permit in Singapore,he has been working here for more than 10 years in Singapore. Once I move,i plan to take him too but it seems more tedious for those with Indian passport, No IELTS, and lesser education .

Hope to get some information here on which is the right route I should take.

Thanks

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
Trying to find work on s tourist visa is illegal.

But some people do that.

I remember some Mexican colleagues who did that when they first tried to come to Canada to live and work.

Usually the kind of work you would find as a tourist looking for illegal under the table work would be manual labor type jobs.

My Mexican colleagues found work cutting up chickens at a factory.

Would you be willing to do these type of jobs on a factory in a small town outside of the main cities?

I am an ex sinkaporean so I am familiar with how sinkies do not like low class general labor type work.

Even as a landed PR my first job was as a general laborer assembling PVC window jambs and sills at a factory.

I am a medical doctor.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It is not illegal to look for a job on a tourist visa. You can be refused entry to Canada if It seems like your purpose of travel is to find employment. If you work on a tourist visa then that is illegal

Finding employment in Canada if you aren’t a citizen, PR or have an open work permit can take many months because you have to find an employer willing to pay to apply for LMIA. That can take around 4 months and there is no guarantee of approval and then you need to apply for a work permit. Getting a job does not guarantee that you will receive PR. Spouses can not come with you to Canada to work as well unless you are in skilled work NOC 0, A or B. You need to do a lot more research and longterm planning. What if you are not able to get a job or approved for a WP. Can you afford to stay in Canada visiting for 6 months?

Reactions: scylla

mfo222

Jun 28, 2019
Thanks for the above replies . Yes I am aware that I will need to start from below, and grab whatever job I can. Well I am still doing my research .

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for the above replies . Yes I am aware that I will need to start from below, and grab whatever job I can. Well I am still doing my research .
This issue is finding an employer wil, to pay and apply for an LMIA. The process is to show that there is no one in Canada able to do this job. Most e players are not willing to wait and pay for an employee given they are not guaranteed to get a work permit and it may take 6 months.