Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
28-12-2010
LANDED..........
August 6 2010
just had a word with brother in Vancouver:

Costly in Canada, pls carry them for the first time( you can save some CAD there initially), might sound ridiculous to some members.

1. Tea leaves.
2. Garam Masala, Spices, tea masala (very expensive there)
3. Indian basmati rice (though heavy luggage)
4. Pure Ghee
5 dont carry pulses, flour, refined oil, face creams (they are cheap there & Good quality as compared to India)
6. Soap Bars, tooth paste...
7. Shampoos.
8. dont purchase mobile phones, blackberries from India (they come in bundled offer there, you can purchase them in canada virtually at zero prices (2 to 3 years term)

9 electronic items are expensive there, i checked some web stores there is difference of 1500 to 2000 INR in the prices of I pods, cameras
10 laptops are expensive there (though good configuartion is available there).

doc28

Oct 18, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi accounts
i think there's no need to carry shampoos soaps n toothpaste etc. these r available in good deals at various supermarkets. saying my personal exp. as i ve been there on visitor visa.
one need to carry enough clothes initially as these r quite expensive as compared to india(branded ones r almost same price if these r on sale). but still if one wants to save money initially one shud carry clothes as much as possible. also few kitchen items.

accounts

Aug 4, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
28-12-2010
LANDED..........
August 6 2010
doc28 said:
hi accounts
i think there's no need to carry shampoos soaps n toothpaste etc. these r available in good deals at various supermarkets. saying my personal exp. as i ve been there on visitor visa.
one need to carry enough clothes initially as these r quite expensive as compared to india(branded ones r almost same price if these r on sale). but still if one wants to save money initially one shud carry clothes as much as possible. also few kitchen items.
thanks doc for your update...
i never been there...

but pls chk i had written to save some money initially. we cannot go to supermarket as soon as we land there.. in the long run we have to buy these things there only

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi accounts,

Welcome to Canada. You are going to land in good weather.
To your querry:

First of all keep in mind every passenger can take 2 suitcases 23 kg each = 46 kg + hand bag 7 - 10 kg according to the airline you travel.

Give priority to clothings, towels, bedsheets, shoes etc.

don't leave any camera, camcoder or mobiles in use and in good condition.

Choose some kitchen utensils, ( like nonstick fry pans, sauce pans, tawa, dinner plates, cups etc...etc.. as required )

don't bring any electric items like blender, mixer, hair dryer etc if they are not with dual voltage. 110-220 0r 240
I heard Preeti Mixer with 110-120 volt is available in India ( made for export ). If you can get one buy it.

Then according to your allowed weight limit bring some selected spices, dal, masala, pickles or whatever you like in sealed packets.

If you feel they are heavy you can arrange to send it by cargo shipment. ( Prepare Form B4 )

Don't bring any un packed raw and fresh items, which are not allowed.

Whle landing, if customs ask tell you have only "processed food stuff " if you carry anything like that.

So, go ahead, plan about bringing anything useful at home except electric and electronic items, within the capacity of your allowed baggage limit on the flight. If you send such items by cargo you have to consider the cost of freight, handling etc. But for immediate use, you should bring essentials like what I briefed.

Regards,

accounts said:
thanks doc for your update...
i never been there...

but pls chk i had written to save some money initially. we cannot go to supermarket as soon as we land there.. in the long run we have to buy these things there only

farima

Star Member
Jan 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
SG
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April, 2006
Doc's Request.
Nov, 2010
Med's Request
19th July, 2011
Med's Done....
18th Aug, 2011
Passport Req..
27th Sep, 2011
VISA ISSUED...
24th Oct, 2011
LANDED..........
28 April 2012
thanks you all for these nice and helpful post.

irshad2005

Feb 22, 2010
Mumbai
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi, India
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-12-2009
Doc's Request.
18-02-2010
AOR Received.
18-02-2010
File Transfer...
08-03-2010
Excellent guys....
Accounts....Keep it up....
Good post :)

pooja82

Oct 10, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-11-2009
Doc's Request.
05-02-2010
AOR Received.
27-04-2010
IELTS Request
Submitted
File Transfer...
In Process
Med's Request
22-06-2012 (received 2nd July 2012)
Med's Done....
10-07-2012 (received by CHC London 16th July 2012)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
31st Oct 2012
VISA ISSUED...
10th Dec 2012
LANDED..........
Sometime in March, April :-)
thanks guy

jnathan

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Sheng Chiu
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21st Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
10th March 2010
AOR Received.
10th June 2010
IELTS Request
provided
File Transfer...
IN PROCESS: 12th October, 2010
Med's Request
Withdrawal Request sent....Was waiting for files to return....instead of returning the files, VO sent the MR !!
Med's Done....
28 May 2012
Passport Req..
24 July 2012
O No lol. you dont need Rice, There are many types of Basmati available.
Spices are good from India, rest- you can purchase from there. But its always a a good idea if you can carry these stuffs from your home country. I lived in Canada, I didnt take anything else other than clothes and money. But there are something you really need and some of them you have mentiones already. Anyone in this forum apart from me who lived in Canada before?

blueboy

Apr 7, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just adding to what others have said....bring the basic stuff you need. You don't want to start spending on petty stuff right away that you can bring from India. It might sound ridiculous to bring shampoos, toothpaste and soaps from India but it is very useful. It can save you from start spending on these items atleast for a month. I agree you can get them here but why spend money of these smalls right away when you can easily carry them from India.

I just landed here and I am yet to find a job. And I am thankful that I brought these items with me. I don't have to spend on them right away. Spending each dollar when you are job-less pains a lot more. Being a visitor there, spending money....is fine. You know you are a visitor and will go back to your country and earn money with your existing job. But, when you land here without a job...SAVE AS MUCH AS YOU CAN.

crusador0408

Mar 5, 2010
Manchester, Juu keyy
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Enjoy your time in india, you will relish this time later on with nothing to do. Pursue your pending stuff that you always wanted to do in free time.
All eatables, cosmetics everything is available there but good to pack along if you have free space.

doc28

Oct 18, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
blueboy said:
Just adding to what others have said....bring the basic stuff you need. You don't want to start spending on petty stuff right away that you can bring from India. It might sound ridiculous to bring shampoos, toothpaste and soaps from India but it is very useful. It can save you from start spending on these items atleast for a month. I agree you can get them here but why spend money of these smalls right away when you can easily carry them from India.

I just landed here and I am yet to find a job. And I am thankful that I brought these items with me. I don't have to spend on them right away. Spending each dollar when you are job-less pains a lot more. Being a visitor there, spending money....is fine. You know you are a visitor and will go back to your country and earn money with your existing job. But, when you land here without a job...SAVE AS MUCH AS YOU CAN.
may be u guys r right. i stated my opinion. In fact i brought shampoo n conditioner frm canada more than six months back n still not able to finish it.(i ve long hair)one can carry one shampoo bottle which will last a month atleast provided it doesnt add much to ur weight of bags.yes every penny u spend there pinches u a lot initially as things r cheaper here in india. even as visitor i found canada very expensive to do shopping. rest the other members who r already living there can throw more light on this.

A

anushauc

accounts said:
just had a word with brother in Vancouver:

Costly in Canada, pls carry them for the first time( you can save some CAD there initially), might sound ridiculous to some members.

1. Tea leaves.
2. Garam Masala, Spices, tea masala (very expensive there)
3. Indian basmati rice (though heavy luggage)
4. Pure Ghee
5 dont carry pulses, flour, refined oil, face creams (they are cheap there & Good quality as compared to India)
6. Soap Bars, tooth paste...
7. Shampoos.
8. dont purchase mobile phones, blackberries from India (they come in bundled offer there, you can purchase them in canada virtually at zero prices (2 to 3 years term)

9 electronic items are expensive there, i checked some web stores there is difference of 1500 to 2000 INR in the prices of I pods, cameras
10 laptops are expensive there (though good configuartion is available there).
Good list accounts . Dont think u need to carry rice .. It is available easily and u will anyways have to buy a big 20 pound pack once u rent an apartment .
Toothbrush and paste I agree , while many may not. Tooth brushes are lil exp . Its over 2-3 dollars , unless there some clearance going on :). I dont mean to say its too much ,but in our initial days there 2-3 dollars is a big deal , esp if we do not find a job.

Small stuff u might want to add ..
1. Scrotch brite ( the vessel washing thingie ) They are very light , so I carried supplies for an entire year when I went to the US .
2. Puja ka samaan ( agarbatti , cotton for diyas etc).
3. Comb ( carry extra - the ones there are expensive and not the same quality that we r used to . Also bindis .
4. Everest Tikhalal ( some ppl may laugh ) but mircha powder is bad there . Its a personal taste !
5. Tamarind . We get tamarind paste there for those who r OK with it .
6. Some provisions to last u a week till u settle down .
7. Basic vessels.

laxmikanthms

Dec 31, 2009
Toronto,Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec-07-2009
Doc's Request.
Feb-02-2010
AOR Received.
June-14-2010
IELTS Request
Already Done
File Transfer...
Feb-10-2010
Med's Request
Nov-01-2010
Med's Done....
Dec-02-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Nov-01-2010
VISA ISSUED...
Jan-13-2011
LANDED..........
May-07-2010 (Before PR Approval on Workpermit)
I will say we can get everything in Toronto, but for initial landing its better to carry as far as possible and whatever is allowed by airlines and customs.

Gerrard street is the place in toronto where u get all indian items.

Scarbarough has lots of Indian stores too

Missisauga has Saravana Bhavan and Anjappar too..... :p

Regards,
Laxmikanth