+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IT Work/Recruitment Agencies

mattnoble07

Mar 29, 2018
Hi all,

Looking at moving over from Australia to Canada but I have a few questions. Currently work in IT mainly involving managing software development projects focusing on .Net and Dynamics 365 applications. Also have experience with change and release management and applications support/config/testing.

1) Current Job Climate: Where is the best place at the moment for IT work in Canada? Toronto?
2) Recruitment Agencies: Any recommendations on distributing my CV with an agent and finding work that way? Any specific ones to recommend?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Hi all,

Looking at moving over from Australia to Canada but I have a few questions. Currently work in IT mainly involving managing software development projects focusing on .Net and Dynamics 365 applications. Also have experience with change and release management and applications support/config/testing.

1) Current Job Climate: Where is the best place at the moment for IT work in Canada? Toronto?
2) Recruitment Agencies: Any recommendations on distributing my CV with an agent and finding work that way? Any specific ones to recommend?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
1) Toronto has the most jobs, but is very competitive as most immigrants land here. For every job posting you'll compete with other newcomers like yourself (soon to be) + Canadians and immigrants looking to change jobs/change employers. The trick is find a way to stand out.
I hear that Ottawa's IT market is growing too, so might be worth trying...positives is less competition (compared to Toronto), cons would be that
many IT companies provide services for the Federal Government, so in some cases they demand Bi-lingual IT professionals, and also "security
clearance" which is a bit tricky to obtain for a new comer.
2) Try posting your resume in popular job-sites such as monster/indeed/workopolis to see if you could get some traction. Recruiters maybe useful
or useless, at the end they work for employers, not necessarily in the interest of the job seeker..so depends if they usually get many openings for profiles similar to yours - you'll find them useful, otherwise waste of time.

Question though: Since you are living in Australia now, what motivates you to move to Canada? What is it that you are looking for which you think Australia can't offer but Canada can?

mattnoble07

Mar 29, 2018
1) Toronto has the most jobs, but is very competitive as most immigrants land here. For every job posting you'll compete with other newcomers like yourself (soon to be) + Canadians and immigrants looking to change jobs/change employers. The trick is find a way to stand out.
I hear that Ottawa's IT market is growing too, so might be worth trying...positives is less competition (compared to Toronto), cons would be that
many IT companies provide services for the Federal Government, so in some cases they demand Bi-lingual IT professionals, and also "security
clearance" which is a bit tricky to obtain for a new comer.
2) Try posting your resume in popular job-sites such as monster/indeed/workopolis to see if you could get some traction. Recruiters maybe useful
or useless, at the end they work for employers, not necessarily in the interest of the job seeker..so depends if they usually get many openings for profiles similar to yours - you'll find them useful, otherwise waste of time.

Question though: Since you are living in Australia now, what motivates you to move to Canada? What is it that you are looking for which you think Australia can't offer but Canada can?
Hey,

Thanks for the advice and il hand my CV over to those sites as you have recommended. Basically the move over to Canada is for a life experience. I'v always wanted to experience living overseas and I've just recently got out of a long term relationship so it's perfect time to do it. Also gain new skills in a different country/working environment, new friends etc. Australia is absolutely fantastic dont get me wrong but it' always going to be there.