+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is UK experience valued in Canada?

tulipz

Apr 4, 2016
My husband and I have over 10 years of work experience in IT in the financial services (London). I've been reading a lot of horror stories on the internet about how Canadian employers look for Canadian experience and finding a job being almost impossible! I'm terrified to hear about Phds driving taxis etc.

Is UK work experience valued in Canada (Toronto) or do you think we will struggle?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
My husband and I have over 10 years of work experience in IT in the financial services (London). I've been reading a lot of horror stories on the internet about how Canadian employers look for Canadian experience and finding a job being almost impossible! I'm terrified to hear about Phds driving taxis etc.

Is UK work experience valued in Canada (Toronto) or do you think we will struggle?
I believe that the value placed on it will depend heavily on individual circumstances and what roles/skills are represented.

For example, if you have highly specialized knowledge of systems or software, you stand a much better chance of being able to find a job, if those skills are needed in Canada. If you are just a generic systems administrator or developer, it may be much harder.

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
From my perspective I would say yes. I was a tester in the UK and got a job right away after getting my PGWP.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
I believe that the value placed on it will depend heavily on individual circumstances and what roles/skills are represented.

For example, if you have highly specialized knowledge of systems or software, you stand a much better chance of being able to find a job, if those skills are needed in Canada. If you are just a generic systems administrator or developer, it may be much harder.
The opposite is true as well, if one is highly specialized in an IT field which has low demand in Canada, you would have to try and fit in generic IT roles which could be many, but wouldn't pay as much as a specialized job would.

Sarantos

Star Member
Apr 14, 2017
Hi,

I came from Ireland with IT experience and had interviews that week I sent my resumes.
I wouldn't be concerned. IT growth in job within Canada is excellent especially in Toronto. There's a ton of IT work in Toronto. Check indeed.ca and linkedin.