+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is securing a job more difficult with higher experience and an older age?

Suavemec

Dec 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi

I am planning to move to Toronto by the end of March or so with my wife and an 8 year old kid. Both, my wife and me are of 46 years of age with rich experience in our professions.

Since, devoting time towards our daughter preceded over profession and monetary gains, my wife, who had worked as a cabin crew in well know airline companies had to resign 4 years back and has been full time mother since then. She wishes to once again start working in Canada.

As for me, I have been in the Apparel Industry from the past 23 years with rich experience in exports and imports production coordination of ready to wear apparels, catering to US and other markets and understand similar positions are available in Toronto.

We both completely understand the complexities and challenges of finding a job related to our fields...At times we both wonder that our age may not be on our side, as we feel that finding a suitable job at 46 may get even tougher due to the age factor.

WOULD OUR AGE REALLY MATTER IN OUR CASE AND MAKE OUR CHANCES OF FINDING A DECENT JOB, EVEN SLIMMER, ESPECIALLY WHEN OUR PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE WILL NOT BE VALID ANYMORE WITH ZERO “CANADIAN WORK EXPERIENCE”? Will finding a job be more difficult at our age???

Please advise.

buliwyf

Star Member
Mar 27, 2013
Your job hunting skills will factor a lot more than your age.

I'm sure there's a job opening in a company with a business similar to your previous company's. You just have to find it.

You don't need Canadian experience to find a job. You need relevant working experience for the job you're applying for.

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
The only challenge that comes with age (and experience no matter where) is that our expectations of the job level and salary is somewhat higher than somewhat with half our experience and age.

This means likely there are less jobs at your level available, and quite possibly more competition for a particular job.

I anticipate that this is no different than any other country, so if you have what it takes in your home country, no doubt you could succeed in Canada.

I agree, relevant work experience is very important, and Canadian experience will only matter if you require licenses to operate in your profession (which I suspect is not the case here).

It is a fun endeavour to pull something like this off.

Good luck :)

Suavemec

Dec 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You don't need Canadian experience to find a job. You need relevant working experience for the job you're applying for.

Well I am glad to see someone suggesting that one really does not need a "Canadian Work Experience" and that's very encouraging. However, during my first stay, I was clearly advised by one of the recruiting agents from my field that he would not forward my resume unless I had some Canadian work experience. Hearing that from a recruiting agency was far more demoralizing and I felt that he was only referring to the truth. I always felt that with relevant work experience, one always has a chance to secure a decent job, but that did not seemed to be the case as your overseas experience is not considered...

Thanks for that positive vibe though.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
In my own experience, it is more difficult (but then I never immigrated as a young person, nothing to compare to . . . ) -- you won't have the local connections and experience that can be very valuable. Worse, it will be hard to get a simpler job, because you will clearly be looking to move up quickly. I immigrated as a mid-life professional a bit younger than you, and finally found a fairly unique job that gave me an 'in'. Once you do, then you're fine, but the first break can be a bit difficult. Look for maternity leave positions, limited-term contracts, part-time work, anything online that shows skills. The 40s are a frustrating age to start new.

Suavemec

Dec 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The only challenge that comes with age (and experience no matter where) is that our expectations of the job level and salary is somewhat higher than somewhat with half our experience and age.

As for the comment above - When I first landed, though backed by rich experience in my field at higher positions, I was honestly very much prepared even to accept an entry level job. Salary was never a criterion and my expectations were humble. I just wanted a start to gradually get acquainted to the work culture with a decent job, but the hiring managers classified me as "Over Experienced" for these posts that I felt were tailor made with my kind of skills and experience. And when I applied for the higher posts, I was told I required some Canadian Work Experience...which kept me wondering where was I suppose to start from?

Suavemec

Dec 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
on-hold said:
In my own experience, it is more difficult (but then I never immigrated as a young person, nothing to compare to . . . ) -- you won't have the local connections and experience that can be very valuable. Worse, it will be hard to get a simpler job, because you will clearly be looking to move up quickly.
Yes,I do agree with you which was the reason why I initiated this discussion, so as to have feed backs. Its crucial to get that first break after which things start falling in place...But getting that first break is the most challenging part of the settlement. I did learn a lot from my first stay of 6 months, a majority part of which was spent in job search, with a part time job on hand.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes it is more difficult. You cant teach old dog new tricks

buliwyf

Star Member
Mar 27, 2013
What is also good here in Canada is, the salary difference across an (medium-sized) organization is relatively small; Entry-level salary is around 45k-60k, Manager-level salary is around 75k-85k, Director-level is about 100k+. This salary gap is also still made smaller by taxes (after taxes, 100k is really not much bigger than 60k). Organizations are also "horizontal"; I call my manager by his first name and I am expected to challenge his ideas. I can also speak to our executives directly (and I also call them by their first names, and I can also park in the same parking lot).

Back home, I was a manager, my salary was 7x more than my staff. My boss' salary was 3x of mine. Our President probably 1,000x haha. The organization culture was also very "vertical"; A subordinate calls his boss, "sir" and basically follows all orders and is not expected to challenge decisions.

I think this is why matured immigrants who were established in their careers back home, especially from eastern cultures (India, China, Philippines), feel a bit uncomfortable starting from the "bottom"; Because back home, you were THE boss! The good news is, over here, your boss will probably not be like you :)

Also, once you're working in a company, your superior organizational skills acquired from your experience will quickly show over your younger peers (they crack under the slightest pressure and have 1st-world problems); Management will quickly see this and your value. Once you have your actual experience inside the company, it would not be difficult to apply for a higher-level position (and pay more taxes while having more responsibility)

Suavemec

Dec 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
buliwyf said:
I think this is why matured immigrants who were established in their careers back home, especially from eastern cultures (India, China, Philippines), feel a bit uncomfortable starting from the "bottom"; Because back home, you were THE boss! The good news is, over here, your boss will probably not be like you :)

Also, once you're working in a company, your superior organizational skills acquired from your experience will quickly show over your younger peers (they crack under the slightest pressure and have 1st-world problems); Management will quickly see this and your value. Once you have your actual experience inside the company, it would not be difficult to apply for a higher-level position (and pay more taxes while having more responsibility)
What you say is true with the immigrants especially from the sub continent.

Fortunately, I had the chance to be associated with an American company back home for a very very long time, where I pretty much observed the North American working culture and I called my VP by his first name. I also, to an extent, enjoyed the privileges and freedom of expression you have discussed above which only helped me further in getting used to the Canadian culture.
Moreover, I have no qualms or hang ups about starting at a lower position as I too firmly believe in your second part of the reply above.

Suavemec

Dec 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I wonder if acquiring some kind of a further education or upgrading yourself by doing a profession related course from an Institute or a University really helps or increases your chances of securing a job in your profession.

I personally feel that a profession oriented course from a Canadian Institute helps in adding value to the experience one carries and getting recognition to some extent. But again I start wondering after reading posts on the forum where I have read that certain Canadian Degrees too lack value and are absolutely useless. I guess it's again profession related because I know of a case, a friend of mine, with same profession and at around same age as mine, was unable to find a job in GTA for a very very long time, until he did a course from Ryerson University. Soon after, he got his first break, a dream job with one of the best companies in Canada.

I would really like to have advises here from members if any, who know someone or have had similar situation or experience.

Doing a course is not only investing money, but also investing precious time, especially at my age (46 years). A person in my situation would really not want to waste money as well as time if a course is of no help or does not in any way increases the chances of securing a job. It's confusing after knowing the case of my friend, discussed above as I wonder if it really helps....

Jun 24, 2021

As for the comment above - When I first landed, though backed by rich experience in my field at higher positions, I was honestly very much prepared even to accept an entry level job. Salary was never a criterion and my expectations were humble. I just wanted a start to gradually get acquainted to the work culture with a decent job, but the hiring managers classified me as "Over Experienced" for these posts that I felt were tailor made with my kind of skills and experience. And when I applied for the higher posts, I was told I required some Canadian Work Experience...which kept me wondering where was I suppose to start from?
Hi Suavemec, can you tell me what was your final experience? Did you immigrate to Canada? Did you finally was able to get yourself into the job market? Me and my wife are 49 years old hoping to receive a study permit and then try to get ourselves in the IT market over there.