+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it wise to take car from US to Canada?

Discussion in 'Settlement Issues' started by fe25, Feb 28, 2006.

  1. Dear Group Members,

    This is a wonderful forum and is very informative. I seek you advice in some matters. I have a Toyota Corolla 2003 LE and it just has 28K on it. I am thinking of taking this car to Canada when I land as a SW. What are some of the things I should consider to make this my final decision. Some of the things I am concerned about are:

    1) What % of taxes will apply (Going to Toronto)?
    2) Is there a good service recommended that can pick my car from where I live and take it to Toronto?
    3) Any other advise or information regarding to this matter will be appreciated?

    Thanks in Advance!
  2. Hi

    1. Assuming you are emigrating and that the car will be on either the goods to follow or accompanying list there are no taxes or duties.
    2. You have to check with www.riv.ca to see if the car is importable (it is)
    3. You have to go to the dealer and get a printout showing that all recalls have been complied with.
    4. You have to own the car or the lender will allow you to export it (not likely)
    5. Here is what you have to do to export the car from the US:

    Section 192.2 Requirements for Exportation

    Basic requirements
    A person attempting to export a used self-propelled vehicle shall present to Customs, at the port of exportation, both the vehicle and the required documentation describing the vehicle to include the VIN or, if the vehicle does not have a VIN, the product identification number (PIN). Exportation of a vehicle will be permitted only upon compliance with these requirements, unless the vehicle was entered into the United States under an in-bond procedure, a carnet, a Temporary Importation Bond, or under a personal exemption for non-residents who entered the vehicle for a 1-year period.

    Documentation required

    For U.S. Titled Vehicles

    Vehicles issued an original certificate of title. For used, self-propelled vehicles issued, by any jurisdiction in the United States, a Certificate of Title or a Salvage Title that remains in force, the owner must provide to Customs the original Certificate of Title or a Certified Copy of the Certificate of Title and two complete copies of the original Certificate of Title or the Certified Copy of the original.

    Where title evidences third-party ownership/claims. If the used, self-propelled vehicle is leased or a recorded lien exists in the U.S., in addition to complying with paragraph (b)(1)(i) of this section, the provisional owner must provide to Customs a separate writing from the third-party-in interest which expressly provides that the subject vehicle may be exported. This writing must be on the third-party's letterhead paper and contain a complete description of the vehicle including the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), the name of the owner or lienholder of the leased vehicle, and the telephone numbers at which that owner or lienholder may be contacted and must bear an original signature of the third-party and state the date it was signed.
    Exportation at land border crossing points. For those vehicles exported by rail, highway, or under their own power.

    The required documentation must be submitted to Customs at least 72 hours prior to export; and

    The vehicle must be presented to Customs at the time of exportation.

    Where presented
    Careful attention should be paid to 19 CFR 192.2 (d), "Where presented." Port Directors will establish locations at which exporters must present the required documentation and the vehicles for inspection. Port Directors will publicize these locations, including their hours of operation.

    Also once you pay the inspection fees to RIV, then you must have the vehicle brought to Canadian standards, ie, daytime running lights, sticker to show Km on speedo, and sometimes adding a child car seat anchor bolt.


Share This Page