+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

is it possible to get a study permit even if i plan on studying only part-time?

hoh818

Nov 17, 2009
the graduate program i'm looking into can be taken either in 1 year (full time) or 2yrs (part-time). can i apply for the part-time option and then apply for at least a year's worth of post-graduation work permit after completion? these are all in hope of qualifying for the canadian experience class using work experience.

pls helppppp....
thank you.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi hoh818,

As noted in the FSW forum, you CAN get a study permit for part-time studies. However, I'm afraid that won't work for the CEC class -

http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGLish/immigrate/cec/graduates.asp

To qualify using education+1 year of work experience, the education has to meet certain requirements including 2 years of full-time study. (Moreover, the post-grad work permit can only be obtained if you were a full-time student).

To qualify using work experience alone, it must be 2 years of work experience. So, if you did one year of work on a 1-year post-graduation work permit, you would have to find a way to do another year of work.

HOWEVER,

Your plan MIGHT allow you to qualify under the Federal Skilled Workers program, Category 3: For students or workers who are legally residing in Canada, and have done so for at least 12 months immediately before submitting their application.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who.asp

Unlike the CEC program, however, you would have to be able to meet the "proof of funds" requirement.

hoh818

Nov 17, 2009
thanks for your valuable inputs jes_ON. they're all highly appreciated.

i now see that my initial plan to take on a 1 yr graduate program may not work.

there's another program i'm looking into that can be finished in 5 semesters or roughly 19 months. for the CEC, is immigration strict about the "2yrs of study" thingie?

thanks again

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Assuming the five semesters are regular semesters (fall, spring), and you end up with a graduate degree, it should be OK. CIC recognizes that a "year" of study is two semesters, usually 8-9 months (not strictly 12 months).

hoh818

Nov 17, 2009
thanks jes_ON.

the school i'm looking at is yorkville university in new brunswick. it's offering a blended program, all the courses are taken online and only the practicum hours on the last trimester are taken in a site selected by the student and approved by the Director.

would this work, the program being offered online?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

hoh818 said:
thanks jes_ON.

the school i'm looking at is yorkville university in new brunswick. it's offering a blended program, all the courses are taken online and only the practicum hours on the last trimester are taken in a site selected by the student and approved by the Director.

would this work, the program being offered online?
Nope, here is what CIC states

"5.9. Distance learning
Distance learning can be telelearning, correspondence, or internet courses. A study permit is a written authorization to engage in studies in Canada and CIC's understanding
of a student is a person authorized to engage in studies in Canada [R1]. Since by definition distance learning does not require one to be in Canada, a study permit cannot be issued for this
type of course.
A foreign national in Canada should not be penalized for studying under distance learning arrangements. For example, if they are prohibited from engaging in studies as per a
condition of their work permit, they are allowed to engage in distance-learning courses. Some distance-learning courses of study include an in-Canada portion to the program (e.g.,
special tutorials or writing final exams). If the overall course of study is greater than six months, then the student requires a study permit for the in-Canada portion of the program, even if the in-
Canada portion is less than six months. The duration of the study permit should be for the duration of the in-Canada portion only."

PMM

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
No, as noted above, you can't get a study permit for an online program.