+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is AVR an option?

Abhi1982

Star Member
Jul 8, 2019
Hi guys. I am working in USA on H1b. My visa stamping is expired more than 4 years ago. I have my approved i797. Can I opt for AVR? Can I cross a US border and re-enter into the USA if I carry my employment docs, my i797 and a letter from my employer? Please, can someone suggest?

Last edited:

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Hi guys. I am working in USA on H1b. My visa stamping is expired more than 4 years ago. I have my approved i797. Can I opt for AVR? Can I cross a US border and re-enter into the USA if I carry my employment docs, my i797 and a letter from my employer? Please, can someone suggest?
Yes you can, AVR is only valid for Canada and Mexico(assuming that when you say "cross US border" it is either of these two?).

Reactions: Abhi1982

shenanigans

Jul 22, 2021
Yes you can. It doesn't even matter what visa stamp you have or if you had any status changes while in the US. All it matters is that you should not have a pending visa interview at a consulate in Canada and that you have a valid I-797 original with you. I just returned via AVR.

Reactions: Abhi1982

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Yes you can. It doesn't even matter what visa stamp you have or if you had any status changes while in the US. All it matters is that you should not have a pending visa interview at a consulate in Canada and that you have a valid I-797 original with you. I just returned via AVR.
You can have a pending visa interview at consulate. People have been travelling with interviews scheduled till the day before interview. Just that we need to carry the Visa appointment confirmation with us.

shenanigans

Jul 22, 2021
Okay so you should not have a pending visa result AFTER the interview or a 221g I suppose. Then AVR wouldnt work.

Abhi1982

Star Member
Jul 8, 2019
@swan0206 and @shenanigans - so what you are mentioning is, I can schedule a visa interview and can still use AVR? Only problem will be in case I attended an interview and now the result is pending or if I got a 221g? Kindly confirm if there is any portal where I could refer to this please? I would rather carry a printout of that page with me (just dont want to take chances if the officer is unaware - I would get blocked from entering.)

Reactions: shr89

dthiru20

Oct 24, 2020
Okay so you should not have a pending visa result AFTER the interview or a 221g I suppose. Then AVR wouldnt work.
Do you know if we can enter Canada using Visitor visa now? I have only one friend in Canada and would like to visit him in the next one week and return to US using AVR. Please advise.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Do you know if we can enter Canada using Visitor visa now? I have only one friend in Canada and would like to visit him in the next one week and return to US using AVR. Please advise.
Yes, as long as you are fully vaccinated and take the required test before you travel.

shr89

Jul 1, 2019
@swan0206 and @shenanigans - so what you are mentioning is, I can schedule a visa interview and can still use AVR? Only problem will be in case I attended an interview and now the result is pending or if I got a 221g? Kindly confirm if there is any portal where I could refer to this please? I would rather carry a printout of that page with me (just dont want to take chances if the officer is unaware - I would get blocked from entering.)
I’m looking for the same thing. I booked a visa appointment in Jan 2023 but need to go to Canada for PR soft landing. My expedite request for H1B Visa appointment got denied so now hoping that I can use AVR to come back to US.

Last edited:

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
I’m looking for the same thing. I booked a visa appointment in Jan 2023 but need to go to Canada for PR soft landing. My expedite request for H1B Visa appointment got denied so now hoping that I can use AVR to come back to US.
@shr89 and @Abhi1982 , theres no portal or rules laid done regarding this. During pandemic because of the interview unavailability and frequent cancellations of scheduled interviews there is no check on this point basically. Many people have been travelling on AVR with their visa appointments scheduled. Even i have been doing this for a while. Just carry your appointment confirmation page and you are good.

Reactions: shr89

dthiru20

Oct 24, 2020
My expired H1B stamp is in Old passport and I have renewed new passport. Will that work for AVR? Please help.

kinjal1110

Jan 2, 2019
Hi I have a question, this might be silly question but do we have to show original I-797 or a copy would also work?
First H1: I have only original I-797A but not the original I-797C(never received from employer).
H1 Extension: I have all documents' scan copy with me. My employer never sent me physical copies. Can I travel with a copy or will need original doc?

Last edited:

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
H1 Extension: I have all documents' scan copy with me. My employer never sent me physical copies. Can I travel with a copy or will need original doc?
You need to have atleast original i-94 to travel back using AVR. Others docs copies are fine.

If anyone had travelled using all copies letswait to hear from them.