+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IP4 Processing Live-in Caregivers (9.14)

loida86

Star Member
Apr 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello! I need help please.. I am a live-in caregiver from the Philippines and will apply for an OWP and PR on November. I have been separated from my husband since 2003. During my applicattion here in Canada in 2008, I still applied as married since we are not legally separated or annuled. Even in my income tax, my marital status is married. I tried having my husband signed a separation agreement before but he refused. Since there is no divorce in the Philippines, I filed a divorce here recently and my lawyer said the decision wont come out til November. I read this from IP4 (Processing Live-in Caregivers)

9.14. Family members not subject to examination

Separated spouses, former common-law partners and children in the custody of a separated

spouse or former spouse or common-law partner do not need to be examined.

Applicants must provide written evidence of the breakdown of their relationship:

• formal separation agreement;

• letter from a lawyer indicating that divorce proceedings are underway;

• court order in respect of children identifying the fact of the relationship breakdown;

• documents removing the spouse or common-law partner from insurance policies or will;

• statutory declaration in the case of countries where legal separation and divorce are not possible, e.g.,

the Philippines. To be satisfied that the relationship has truly broken down, the officer may consider

supporting evidence such as:

♦ evidence that the separated spouse is living with or has children with another partner;

♦ income tax returns showing status as separated.

CPC should review CAIPS notes from the initial work permit application at the visa office to see if

the visa officer confirmed the applicant’s marital status. CPC may ask the visa office to confirm or

discredit the statutory declaration or other information provided by the applicant concerning their

marital status.

Note: It is important to distinguish between “separated” spouses or former common-law partners and

“uncooperative” spouses or common-law partners. The former need not undergo examination; the

latter must undergo examination, without which the live-in caregiver’s application for permanent

residence in Canada may have to be refused.

My questions are ,

1. Do i have to provide all these documents? Do i still need a formal separation agreement? I am afraid that I may not provide this since my husband had previously refused signing this.
2. Is divorce certificate enough to prove that the marriage is genuinely over? Some people advised me to just include him in my application and then later on divorve him here once he landed. But that would be misrepresentation and I don't want to do that.
3. If I still need to submit a statutory declaration, i do not have an idea on how to do it. Does it have to be notarized to be recognized by CIC?

Please anyone help me? This is absolutely driving me crazy. I am in the dark cloud.. please shed some light?? Million thanks!!

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The Divorce Certificate will be adequate to remove him from the application. If you have that, you don't need anything else from the list.