+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Investor Visa

Bobby

Jul 16, 2007
Hello,

I am a newbie to this form and seeking some information for personal knowledge and help prepare my file/paperwork.

My family is planning to apply for PR visa (from India) by investing CA$120K or more if required. The attorney told us that CIC will give us promissory note and CIC will return that amount after 5 years if we decided to with them other than CIC approved facilitator.

Facts:
1996 had Canadian visitors visa
went to US via Detroit,MI (illegally)
applied for PR in US denied and were deported

Will this effect us or not? And we have disclosed this info to our attorney who is handling our case who said its not a concern or a problem.

Here is what the attorney told us....

Invest CA$120K
receive file # and invitation letter and interview
fly to Canada for Interview with the CIC immigration officer & bank loan officer
after approval we'll get 6 months Temp. PR and get permanent PR after 6 months

I have a business willing to hire me and issue a job letter will that help me or not?

Hope to get helpful information :)

Bobby

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Bobby said:
Hello,

I am a newbie to this form and seeking some information for personal knowledge and help prepare my file/paperwork.

My family is planning to apply for PR visa (from India) by investing CA$120K or more if required. The attorney told us that CIC will give us promissory note and CIC will return that amount after 5 years if we decided to with them other than CIC approved facilitator.

Facts:
1996 had Canadian visitors visa
went to US via Detroit,MI (illegally)
applied for PR in US denied and were deported

Will this effect us or not? And we have disclosed this info to our attorney who is handling our case who said its not a concern or a problem.

Invest CA$120K
fly to Canada for Interview with the CIC immigration officer & bank loan officer

I have a business willing to hire me and issue a job letter will that help me or not?

Hope to get helpful information :)

Bobby
1. The minimum is $400,000 see: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/business/investors/index.asp
2. You have to have a net worth of $800,000
3. Job has nothing to do with Investor category.
4. Have at least 2 years of managing a business with 5 full time employees.
5. I think your attorney is blowing smoke

"Citizenship and Immigration Canada has made a commitment to finalize 1,000 federal investor cases in 2006. These cases will be processed in the order in which they have been received at visa offices around the world. Applications submitted before July 2004 will be assessed in 2006. Applications received from July 2004 on will not likely be finalized before 2007." You are looking at 66 months minimum from Delhi.

Suggest you read : http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/business/investors/facilitators.asp

PMM

Libra

Jun 8, 2007
Bobby said:
Hello,

Facts:
1996 had Canadian visitors visa - As long as you never committed a crime while you were a visitor is Canada, you're fine.
went to US via Detroit,MI (illegally) - If you were applying from within the U.S. for Canada immigration then this would have barred you from applying to Canada. But you are applying from your country of nationality; so, once again, you're fine.
applied for PR in US denied and were deported - You were not deported from Canada, so yet again, you are fine. If your removal proceedings from the U.S. does not have an underlying crime such as "drunk driving" or assault, you are still okay because removal proceedings based on just illegal status is not and it is not similar to the list of inadmissible offenses. QUESTION: Did you stay 6 months or more in U.S.? If so, you will need an FBI Clearance from U.S. And, of course assuming no crime was committed within the U.S. if you stayed in U.S. for at least 6 months.

Will this effect us or not? And we have disclosed this info to our attorney who is handling our case who said its not a concern or a problem. No, it will not affect you.

Invest CA$120K

I have a business willing to hire me and issue a job letter will that help me or not? Wrong.

Check the link from PMM's posting above for the Investor Program

But I thought you were coming in as an investor? If this business is only willing to hire you as a regular employee, then no, this will not help you for the Investor Program; rather this will help you for the Skilled Worker Immigration - there's a difference between the two.

It doesn't take an attorney to know the difference between what is required. I see a confusion in the requirements for the Entrepreneur Program. There is a difference between the qualification requirement and a demonstration of what a qualified business is for the Entrepreneur Program:

Qualification Requirement: Among other things, "To qualify as an Entrepreneur, an applicant must have a minimum personal net worth of at least $300,000 CDN" You must show this and not the CDN $125,000 mentioned below, and this is not for the Investor Program - they are different.

And for the Entrepreneur Program, a qualified business means that among other things there must be - "documentary evidence that the percentage of equity multiplied by the net assets at the end of the year is equal to or greater than CDN $125,000" - in each of any two years in the period beginning five years before the date of application for a permanent resident visa and ending on the date a determination is made in respect of the application.

The CDN$125,000 is NOT what you show as current total net worth - that should be $300,000 and this is for the Entrepreneur and NOT the Investor Program.

Bobby

Jul 16, 2007
Thanx PMM & Libra for the replies...very helpful towards my goal.

I called the attorney and spoke to him he told me before we file with CIC, our attorney will have us apply with a bank/institution for financing.

Thanks a lot.