+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Internationally Educated Civil Engineer - Courses in Canada to help finding job

smlrch

Star Member
Feb 12, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi there guys, my name is Samuel and I am from Brazil. I am a graduated Civil Engineer and I have almost 3 years of experience in Brazil working on building sites.

I am a bit confused about what I should do to help me finding a job in my field of work in Canada. I am decided to study once I get there to improve my chances of finding a job, but I am not sure what is the best course for me, so I would like to hear from you guys what do you think is the best to do.

I will probably be moving to Canada in August/2017 and looking ti settle in Ontario. The courses I am looking now are the following:

What do you guys think is the best to help me find a job? Also I am thinking of applying for the P.Eng with PEO or APEGA.

Thanks to all!

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
2016-03 (EE), TFW since 2012-04
smlrch said:
Hi there guys, my name is Samuel and I am from Brazil. I am a graduated Civil Engineer and I have almost 3 years of experience in Brazil working on building sites.

I am a bit confused about what I should do to help me finding a job in my field of work in Canada. I am decided to study once I get there to improve my chances of finding a job, but I am not sure what is the best course for me, so I would like to hear from you guys what do you think is the best to do.

I will probably be moving to Canada in August/2017 and looking ti settle in Ontario. The courses I am looking now are the following:

What do you guys think is the best to help me find a job? Also I am thinking of applying for the P.Eng with PEO or APEGA.

Thanks to all!
How are you planning to come to Canada?

You need a student/work permit and visa, unless you got PR

If you need a student permit you have to apply for it with the acceptance letter, so firts decide which studies you want

A two-year program is recommended to get 2-3 years PGWP (post graduate work permit)

Since you have a BSc studying a MSc is the most appropiate, even to provide better score for inmigration but could be expensive

Construction Management 2 years could be useful

Avoid 3 years technologist programs, and technologist is below a BSc (however a Canadian technologist could be "better" than a foreign BSc here).

The optimum duration is 2 years to maximize the PGWP

APEGA process is fair but slow, you could need to take a general examination or even some courses here.

I read in this forum PEO is more complicated, but I don't know it

Currently work opportunities are better in Ontario than Alberta, but who knows in 2-3 years

If you are planning to settle here, look at Provincial Nominee Programs, some provinces are "easier" to get nomination, check Manitoba and Saskatchewan

smlrch

Star Member
Feb 12, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the reply Gregor.Samsa,

Actually I am not sure if I will be going as a student or PR. Hopefully as a PR.

I will be doing the IELTS Test on December and if everything works out as I am expecting I will be at around 420 CRS points, and I hope that I can get a nomination with that.

If I don't get a nomination my other option is:
I will go there as a student in August/September.2017 and once I am there I will try to apply for EE once more as in June.2017 I will have finished my MBA course (Project Management - 2 years) in Brazil, and with this I will get more CRS points and will be around 455CRS.

My doubt is what would be the most useful course to do there to find my place in the labour market. I mean, I am already 29 years old (I know I am not really old) but I dont want to spend 2 or 3 years of my life working towards something that is not gonna help me in my Canadian life.

I am more keen to apply to one of those 3 options:

- Construction Management (for Internationally Educated Professionals) Program (Postgraduate) - 1 year (3 semesters) - George Brown College
Don't know if it's really recognized or if it will be enough.

- Construction Management (Optional Co-op) - 2 years - Conestoga College - If I can find a Co-op during this course I believe its already half way

- MEng Specialization in Construction Management - 1 to 2 years - University of Toronto - Probably a good idea, but if I am going as an International Student it would probably have a really high cost

Thanks!

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
420 points is low to get ITA nowadays

But it could change next year if government increase the PR number as said by the minister recently

455 will be a better score, more chances to get PR

If you're coming as International student go for a 2 years program, CO-OP is a good option

you can work partial time while in student permit (full time during vacations) even if isn't Co-op

If you get PR you can try to find a job instead studying.
A Canadian degree or diploma can help finding jobs

smlrch

Star Member
Feb 12, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, I know that 420 CRS points is low to get ITA, but I am hoping that the Ontarion PNP might open soon with the same criteria as last year (400+ CRS), so I might have a chance.

But if it does not happen I will go there anyway to start studying in September.2017 , under a student visa, and then once I am in Canada I will try to increase my points and wait for a visa there (wife will do IELTS once there and start working to gain working experience).

Actually I am not really worried about getting a PGWP or not as I believe sooner or later I might get an ITA. What I am really looking for is to find out what is the best program to introduce me into the construction labour market as I dont want to waste these time studying there. I know that if I want to work as a Civil Engineer there I will have to validate my degree and that it will cost time and money.

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
smlrch said:
- Construction Management (Optional Co-op) - 2 years - Conestoga College - If I can find a Co-op during this course I believe its already half way

- MEng Specialization in Construction Management - 1 to 2 years - University of Toronto - Probably a good idea, but if I am going as an International Student it would probably have a really high cost
I definitely like these two, both are 2 years program which allow for 2/3 years PGWP (you're not worry about it but could be critical to obtain enough work experience in Canada and even PR)

I would like the MEng but you should check about the cost, that's important obviously

I recommend contacting the Professional Engineers association of the province where you'll settle (where the college/university is).

Perhaps they could provide some help regarding the employability of the course or even pre-evaluate your degree and see what they'll ask for, could be some test and some courses as well

It should be useful applying for Engineering Association while studying here.

I read in this forum PEOntario is a bit harder than other provinces but I don't know it

Also you can try to contact former students of these course asking for employability (LinkedIn, Civil engineering forums, students associations...)

You should create a EE profile as soon you get the IETLS score and see your real score.

You may need educational assessment for inmigration (ECA) and University, check the WES website, it could help start with the assessment process now

Also contact university or college about the pre-inscription process and the Student Permit requirements. As soon you start working on it the better

metallica.kyoto

Star Member
May 15, 2013
Hello

I am 31 male and currently living and working as Mechanical Engineering in Japan.
My work experience as Engineer is so-so.

I already have PR status in Canada.
I am looking for a course that would help me land a Job in Canada.
It can be either master’s degree or short term course ranging from 3 months to year.
I believe this can help me to land lay foundation in Canada.

Regards

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
Go for master degree in any Canadian university.

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
metallica.kyoto said:
Hello

I am 31 male and currently living and working as Mechanical Engineering in Japan.
My work experience as Engineer is so-so.

I already have PR status in Canada.
I am looking for a course that would help me land a Job in Canada.
It can be either master’s degree or short term course ranging from 3 months to year.
I believe this can help me to land lay foundation in Canada.

Regards
Master should be better.

Consider to obtain Red Seal or/and Journeyman, these are for trades not for engineers but could be an opportunity

I read on this forum about electrical engineers preparing it

http://www.red-seal.ca/w.2lc.4m.2-eng.html

Journeyman depends on provincial regulations

http://advancededucation.alberta.ca/planning/priorlearning/tradespeople/#qualCredential

metallica.kyoto

Star Member
May 15, 2013
Gregor.Samsa said:
Master should be better.

Consider to obtain Red Seal or/and Journeyman, these are for trades not for engineers but could be an opportunity

I read on this forum about electrical engineers preparing it

http://www.red-seal.ca/w.2lc.4m.2-eng.html

Journeyman depends on provincial regulations

http://advancededucation.alberta.ca/planning/priorlearning/tradespeople/#qualCredential

Hey thanks alot for your reply.
I noted it.One of the reasons I thought that masters would be helpful would be the fact that it could help me to get EIT enrollment.
In terms of jobs tradesmen are better?whats your opinion/
I guess tradesmen also get paid well?

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
metallica.kyoto said:
Hey thanks alot for your reply.
I noted it.One of the reasons I thought that masters would be helpful would be the fact that it could help me to get EIT enrollment.
In terms of jobs tradesmen are better?whats your opinion/
I guess tradesmen also get paid well?
Master's definitely will help you to get EIT/PENG designation

However you should start right away your EIT application with your Provincial Professional Engineering Association, it could take a while but it's definitely better to apply ASAP.

Red seal/provincial journeyman could be a faster way to get a well paid job in some provinces, that's a research you should perform

Additionally you should take a look on which province could provide more opportunities to you.

njay91

Star Member
Aug 29, 2017
Kochi
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17-01-2018
IELTS Request
19-08-2017

Thanks to all!
Hey Samuel,Did you get the P.eng?