+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International Student

Cherrypaul

Star Member
Apr 21, 2016
Hi Seniors,

I have few questions here and looking forward to some helpful suggestions please.

So I have completed masters in 2017 and started internship (one year, full-time, paid) in my education field right after my graduation (on PGWP).Here is my profile: Never married, Age: 24, Studies: Masters in Canada, Work experience OUTSIDE Canada: NONE, INSIDE Canada on PGWP: 1 YEAR, IELTS: L-8, R-6.5, S:6.5, W:6.5, No relatives in Canada. I am wondering: (a) if I am eligible to apply under CEC or is it a good idea to go for CEC. (b) I calculated my CRS which is 465 at the moment. However, should I gain one more year work experience or apply right after ONE YEAR OF INTERNSHIP?
(c) I am a part-time assistant manager at Tim Hortons since last month, therefore, is there any benefit of this position to gain more points?
(d) What is the difference between CEC and FSW?

Any advice and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You do not qualify to apply under CEC at this time. To qualify to apply under CEC, you require at least one year of full time paid work experience in a NOC A, B or 0 occupation. You cannot count work experience you gained during your studies towards this one year.

You can apply for Express Entry / Federal Skilled Worker without 1 year of Canadian work experience (as long as you have at least one year of full time paid work experience from outside of Canada in a NOC A, B or 0 occupation).

Cherrypaul

Star Member
Apr 21, 2016
You do not qualify to apply under CEC at this time. To qualify to apply under CEC, you require at least one year of full time paid work experience in a NOC A, B or 0 occupation. You cannot count work experience you gained during your studies towards this one year.

You can apply for Express Entry / Federal Skilled Worker without 1 year of Canadian work experience (as long as you have at least one year of full time paid work experience from outside of Canada in a NOC A, B or 0 occupation).
Thanks for your reply. I think people are misunderstanding my post or i have written it in a wrong way. So, I have started internship AFTER GRADUATION OR AFTER RECEIVING MY POST GRADUATE WORK PERMIT.
Please advise.

Cherrypaul

Star Member
Apr 21, 2016
Your "internship" should fall under NOC 0, A, or B.
Thanks for your reply.

And I posted few months ago about my internship position which is ''Chemical Engineering Intern'' and someone suggested me to claim Chemical Engineer NOC (not sure about the exact code) since my job duties are very similar to the duties mentioned under Chemical Engineer's duties.

allthebest90

Star Member
Nov 20, 2017
Canada
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Thanks for your reply.

And I posted few months ago about my internship position which is ''Chemical Engineering Intern'' and someone suggested me to claim Chemical Engineer NOC (not sure about the exact code) since my job duties are very similar to the duties mentioned under Chemical Engineer's duties.
Might as well "try" your luck. The important part there is your employer be willing to provide Job Details and Description proving your 1 year's work as a Chem. Engg and not just an Intern both Title-wise and Job Duty-wise.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
https://www.oberoihotels.com/kerala-backwaters/
Hi Seniors,

I have few questions here and looking forward to some helpful suggestions please.

So I have completed masters in 2017 and started internship (one year, full-time, paid) in my education field right after my graduation (on PGWP).Here is my profile: Never married, Age: 24, Studies: Masters in Canada, Work experience OUTSIDE Canada: NONE, INSIDE Canada on PGWP: 1 YEAR, IELTS: L-8, R-6.5, S:6.5, W:6.5, No relatives in Canada. I am wondering: (a) if I am eligible to apply under CEC or is it a good idea to go for CEC. (b) I calculated my CRS which is 465 at the moment. However, should I gain one more year work experience or apply right after ONE YEAR OF INTERNSHIP?
(c) I am a part-time assistant manager at Tim Hortons since last month, therefore, is there any benefit of this position to gain more points?

Any advice and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Please ask questions on the thread. It becomes difficult to manage multiple threads, and most of the questions asked have already been answered. Also, your question when posted and answered on the thread will help others too.

Please post your questions at http://bit.ly/2begfbS.

Thank you for your understanding.

Reactions: scylla

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Thanks for your reply.

You choose the NOC based on duties/responsibilities. Don't worry about the "Intern" title - that is not problem, since it is paid employment after graduation.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
So I have completed masters in 2017 and started internship (one year, full-time, paid) in my education field right after my graduation (on PGWP).... INSIDE Canada on PGWP: 1 YEAR,

Not possible / not true. Yet.

I am wondering: (a) if I am eligible to apply under CEC or is it a good idea to go for CEC.

No, you need to complete 1 year of skilled work experience in Canada before you can apply under CEC.

(b) I calculated my CRS which is 465 at the moment. LOL, you cannot count future experience, only past/completed experience. This might be what your score *will be*.

However, should I gain one more year work experience or apply right after ONE YEAR OF INTERNSHIP?
You can apply as soon as you meet the requirements, e.g 1 year of skilled work experience, etc.

Not if you are working full-time at your other position.

Canadian work experience vs foreign work experience. Since you stated you have no foreign work experience, then FSW is not an option for you.

Cherrypaul

Star Member
Apr 21, 2016
You choose the NOC based on duties/responsibilities. Don't worry about the "Intern" title - that is not problem, since it is paid employment after graduation.
Thank you for your reply.

I just overheard that they don't count internship under CEC.

Cherrypaul

Star Member
Apr 21, 2016
-Not possible/ not true yet. Like yes because if i wanna apply for PR under CEC after few more months then I have to start preparing myself from now on.

- You meant they don't count internship as skilled work under CEC?

Thanks for your replies.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
-Not possible/ not true yet. Like yes because if i wanna apply for PR under CEC after few more months then I have to start preparing myself from now on.

Agree! ;)

- You meant they don't count internship as skilled work under CEC?
No, that is the opposite of what I meant.