+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian passport surrender

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hello,

Can I travel to united states on Canadian passport before surrendering my Indian Passport ? Please advice.
Yeah absolutely no issues on travelling either to US or internationally on Canadian passport w/o canceling the Indian passport ..
I got the Canadian passport in Oct, travelled to Vienna that same month
Submitted Indian Passport for cancellation in Nov

There is a 3 year grace period for canceling the Indian passport and surrendering the Indian citizenship:https://eoi.gov.in/eoisearch/MyPrint.php?0834?001/0005

ron_ad123

Star Member
Dec 16, 2014
@Dec2014NY @ron_ad123 there are no separate walk-in lines or wait downstairs or upstairs in their office for diff types of applications. i've been there thrice as a walk-in between 8am and 11am, and all 3 times it was a few minutes wait before being asked to go upstairs. upstairs in their office, walk-in opportunists like me would be given company by organized n methodical folks who had taken an appointment but still waiting alongside me.
So I finally lined up at around 8:15 AM today and it was about an hour to wait outside before being given a token number to go up. I got upstairs and waited for about 5-8 mins before being called up. All the docs were in order. The lady did not ask to see any originals (I finally asked her so she did a cursory glance at them). She did take an extra photo graph, so keep one handy in case you have one pasted to the application already. Out in about 20 mins. Phew! Now the next phase of waiting begins. From what I have seen on this forum, a month is what it takes for processing SC,. I was able to book an OCI appt for 9th May earlier this month. So hopefully SC will be available before that. Did not opt for courier drop, so paid less in fees.

Where can I keep a tab on the status of the SC? Is it the Passport Seva website where I applied in 'Track App'?

Reactions: 2017CanadaHo!

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
So I finally lined up at around 8:15 AM today and it was about an hour to wait outside before being given a token number to go up. I got upstairs and waited for about 5-8 mins before being called up. All the docs were in order. The lady did not ask to see any originals (I finally asked her so she did a cursory glance at them). She did take an extra photo graph, so keep one handy in case you have one pasted to the application already. Out in about 20 mins. Phew! Now the next phase of waiting begins. From what I have seen on this forum, a month is what it takes for processing SC,. I was able to book an OCI appt for 9th May earlier this month. So hopefully SC will be available before that. Did not opt for courier drop, so paid less in fees.

Where can I keep a tab on the status of the SC? Is it the Passport Seva website where I applied in 'Track App'?
Keep tabs from next week onwards: https://ociservices.gov.in/statusEnqury
After the OCI updated with a dated against "Document received At", track updates on BLS website

2017CanadaHo!

Nov 18, 2016
Ontario
Category........
Other

Bruh! how did you manage to not let them sell you courier service! we, at least i must take lessons from you - 'how not to say yes when you want to say no'.

and dekha!!!!! they do randomly ask for 2 pics. when i said they asked for 2 pics, everyone was sceptical, thinking - paagal hai, middle age nahi handle kar paa raha.

ron_ad123

Star Member
Dec 16, 2014
Bruh! how did you manage to not let them sell you courier service! we, at least i must take lessons from you - 'how not to say yes when you want to say no'.

and dekha!!!!! they do randomly ask for 2 pics. when i said they asked for 2 pics, everyone was sceptical, thinking - paagal hai, middle age nahi handle kar paa raha.
Haha! No big shakes, she mentioned that only limited time to pickup (1 hour window), I said no problem, I live close, I will come again and again if required. All done while smiling.

Reactions: 2017CanadaHo!

akhileshtekchand

Star Member
Aug 17, 2016
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
CPC-O
AOR Received.
20-02-2020
Med's Done....
03-02-2020
Yeah absolutely no issues on travelling either to US or internationally on Canadian passport w/o canceling the Indian passport ..

There is a 3 year grace period for canceling the Indian passport and surrendering the Indian citizenship:https://eoi.gov.in/eoisearch/MyPrint.php?0834?001/0005
3 year or 3 month grace period?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
3 year or 3 month grace period?
Link bheja tha, padhle Akhilesh, padhle ;)

A grace period of three months is allowed from the date of acquisition of foreign citizenship, for the purpose of travel on an Indian Passport. Therefore, no penalty will be leviable for travel on an Indian passport within three months of acquisition of a foreign passport.

No Penalty: Passport not surrendered up to three years and not used for travel after obtaining foreign passport.

Reactions: akhileshtekchand

Dec2014NY

Dec 2, 2014
My next door neighbour went to Brampton on Fri, 31 Mar. He reached the Brampton office of BLS by 7 am. As per him there about 70-80 people in front of him in the queue. He was there to submit the OCI for his spouse.
This is still crazy. Do you know if he continued in the line and was allowed to submit the app - if they allow 70 walk-ins, I will still have to try - pls lemme know

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
This is still crazy. Do you know if he continued in the line and was allowed to submit the app - if they allow 70 walk-ins, I will still have to try - pls lemme know
He and his spouse went, their turn came by 9:30 to go in but the security guy said that only one person is allowed to go in and submit.
In his case his spouse did the submission and was done with this ordeal...

kadian

Sep 13, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

+1 for the weblink

kadian

Sep 13, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Is there anyone who acquired Canadian citizenship while staying in India and thereafter surrendered Indian Passport at RPO in India ?
Please share your experience and process timeline

Apr 9, 2023
Do you need to get your Canadian passport before surrendering your Indian passport? The website of the Indian consulate in Toronto says 'Copy of Canadian passport, if held'. but the checklist on the same website asks for the original Canadian passport. I am confused. Can someone help?