+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Income to show to hire a caregiver...

Apr 9, 2010
Hello, I am new to this forum. I am looking to hire a live-in caregiver and i have already started advertising in the National Job Bank and some other major websites as per the requirement. The question i have is that How much income do i need to show in order to be eligible to hire a foreign live-in caregiver. I have looked on many websites and it only says to show sufficient income but can anyone here provide me with abit more information regarding this.

Thanks in advance...

dben

Star Member
May 29, 2009
The visa officer makes a decision based on the information supplied by the HRSDC Labour Market Opinion (LMO), the caregiver, and the employer. This decision compares the declared income of the employer with the Low Income Cut Off (LICO*) supplied by Statistics Canada plus the expected annual salary of the Caregiver. Please see example computation below: (*For more information regarding LICO, please
refer to the table on the following page, or you may visit: www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5196E10.asp)

"EXAMPLE"

Total declared combined income of employer (based on presented NOA or T4's): $70,970

MINUS Current LICO for 5 (i.e. number of persons in the employer's household): 43,791

MINUS Projected annual salary of caregiver based on LMO 20,592

-----------

EQUALS Surplus (or shortfall) $6,587

If your income falls short of the income expected of an employer hiring a full-time live-in

caregiver, the application may be refused.

amnaj

Star Member
Mar 1, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Abudhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
JAN 2010
Nomination.....
Nov 2009
AOR Received.
22 FEB 2010
Med's Request
31 JAN 2011
Med's Done....
10th FEB
Interview........
NIL
Passport Req..
24th FEB---------Passports with docs sent on 9/03/2011
VISA ISSUED...
16th MARCH 2011--- Passports rcvd 23rd MARCH 2011
LANDED..........
6/5/2011
dben said:
The visa officer makes a decision based on the information supplied by the HRSDC Labour Market Opinion (LMO), the caregiver, and the employer. This decision compares the declared income of the employer with the Low Income Cut Off (LICO*) supplied by Statistics Canada plus the expected annual salary of the Caregiver. Please see example computation below: (*For more information regarding LICO, please
refer to the table on the following page, or you may visit: www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5196E10.asp)

"EXAMPLE"

Total declared combined income of employer (based on presented NOA or T4's): $70,970

MINUS Current LICO for 5 (i.e. number of persons in the employer's household): 43,791

MINUS Projected annual salary of caregiver based on LMO 20,592

-----------

EQUALS Surplus (or shortfall) $6,587

If your income falls short of the income expected of an employer hiring a full-time live-in

caregiver, the application may be refused.
Can combined salary be considered (husband and wife)

dben

Star Member
May 29, 2009
In my case, my wife was not working. I combined my wife's father's old age pension with mine because he is living with us and the caregiver that I hired was to look after my wife's father. I am quite sure that you can use the total household income.
Call CIC and ask them to confirm what they say in an Email.

bob02

Star Member
Jan 27, 2010
Can my brother hire me as a live in caregiver for his 2 yrs old son??he is family of 3.His wife does not earn.His earning is C$30,000 gross.He owns a house with 3 beds.He can offer me a seperate abasement or a room.He does not pay a rent for his house.He is an accountant.

bob02

Star Member
Jan 27, 2010
I forgot to ask one more thing:

Should the annual income of an employer be in Gross (where gross mean before tax) OR net?

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
bob02 said:
I forgot to ask one more thing:

Should the annual income of an employer be in Gross (where gross mean before tax) OR net?
If his wife does not work, why does he need a care giver?

Are you sure he only earns 30,000 per year gross?

If all this information is true then the answer is no, he will not be eligible to sponsor you as a care giver, for one thing he must be able to pay you a wage of approx 20,000 per year and on 30,000 a year earnings that would not be possible.

bob02

Star Member
Jan 27, 2010
angelbrat said:
If his wife does not work, why does he need a care giver?

Are you sure he only earns 30,000 per year gross?

If all this information is true then the answer is no, he will not be eligible to sponsor you as a care giver, for one thing he must be able to pay you a wage of approx 20,000 per year and on 30,000 a year earnings that would not be possible.
Thank you for your reply

His wife does not work cause she is constantly busy with the child.She will be able to work once a caregiver arrives.They are thinking of sending the child to the daycare but are not satisfied with certain issues like child abuse etc.Also applicable to the caregiver, this is one reason for considering me.

Who says a caregiver has to be paid $20k per year? is it written some where as a law??? if yes than what should be the minimum salary threshold for his house hold in order to qualify as an employer for importing a caregiver?

One more very important thing,are siblings refused of caregiver work permit on the ground of being a relative???I read it some where on this page or else that a visa for caregiver was denied just for being a relative to the employer.This is absurd if true!!Every Canadian P.R holder has his civil rights that may include who to hire or fire.The Govt.may suggest but not enforce about who to accept or reject for employment purposes.Can the Govt.be sued on this??

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
bob02 said:
Thank you for your reply

His wife does not work cause she is constantly busy with the child.She will be able to work once a caregiver arrives.They are thinking of sending the child to the daycare but are not satisfied with certain issues like child abuse etc.Also applicable to the caregiver, this is one reason for considering me.

Who says a caregiver has to be paid $20k per year? is it written some where as a law??? if yes than what should be the minimum salary threshold for his house hold in order to qualify as an employer for importing a caregiver?

One more very important thing,are siblings refused of caregiver work permit on the ground of being a relative???I read it some where on this page or else that a visa for caregiver was denied just for being a relative to the employer.This is absurd if true!!Every Canadian P.R holder has his civil rights that may include who to hire or fire.The Govt.may suggest but not enforce about who to accept or reject for employment purposes.Can the Govt.be sued on this??
The Government can enforce anything it likes when it comes to foreign labor hiring. Remember, they don't have to issue any immigrant with a work visa, so yes they can accept and reject.

As for minimum wage, then yes the employer has to follow Service Canada guidelines in what is deemed the minimum salary payable for a live in care giver. Without being able to pay this wage, no LMO will be issued and no work visa is issued without the LMO.

As for family being employed, well I can see that being a red flag to the immigration officers to be honest but I am not sure about whether refusals are given just because there is close family involved. Maybe seniors on this forum have more knowledge.

bob02

Star Member
Jan 27, 2010
angelbrat said:
The Government can enforce anything it likes when it comes to foreign labor hiring. Remember, they don't have to issue any immigrant with a work visa, so yes they can accept and reject.

As for minimum wage, then yes the employer has to follow Service Canada guidelines in what is deemed the minimum salary payable for a live in care giver. Without being able to pay this wage, no LMO will be issued and no work visa is issued without the LMO.

As for family being employed, well I can see that being a red flag to the immigration officers to be honest but I am not sure about whether refusals are given just because there is close family involved. Maybe seniors on this forum have more knowledge.
Thank you
Any idea about how much at minimum to be paid to the caregiver and minimum annual gross income of my brother with one wife and one child?
He lives in Toronto.

Abetzky

Feb 25, 2013
glass-half_full said:
Hello, I am new to this forum. I am looking to hire a live-in caregiver and i have already started advertising in the National Job Bank and some other major websites as per the requirement. The question i have is that How much income do i need to show in order to be eligible to hire a foreign live-in caregiver. I have looked on many websites and it only says to show sufficient income but can anyone here provide me with abit more information regarding this.

Thanks in advance...