Importing Vehicle on List of Goods to Follow

KevinsJane

Star Member
Apr 21, 2009
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I plan to land within a week. However, I have a few questions re: my vehicle.

I still am unsure if I/we will be bringing my vehicle from the US to Canada, as it is more of a sports car and IMO not practical for me in the 'snow' season. In the event we decide to import it from the US, I plan on listing it on the goods to follow list, as I would not bring it until Springtime. My questions are:

1)At the time of landing, must I have all the appropriate paperwork in order to import the car, for the later date?

2)Does anyone know if GST and PST are exempt for vehicles being imported, in the Ontario Province, when landing as a PR?

and

3)If not exempt would these fees be paid at the time of landing or at the time of the vehicle arriving?

TY for your help!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

KevinsJane said:
Hi,

I plan to land within a week. However, I have a few questions re: my vehicle.

I still am unsure if I/we will be bringing my vehicle from the US to Canada, as it is more of a sports car and IMO not practical for me in the 'snow' season. In the event we decide to import it from the US, I plan on listing it on the goods to follow list, as I would not bring it until Springtime. My questions are:

1)At the time of landing, must I have all the appropriate paperwork in order to import the car, for the later date?

2)Does anyone know if GST and PST are exempt for vehicles being imported, in the Ontario Province, when landing as a PR?

and

3)If not exempt would these fees be paid at the time of landing or at the time of the vehicle arriving?

TY for your help!
1. If you are not importing it at "landing" then it is list on your goods to follow list.
2. There is no taxes on settlers effects. Although you will have pay $100 extra if it has air conditioning.
3. Don't forget that you have to export it from the US and import it through www.riv.ca and pay their fees as well as have it inspected (probably will need DRLs and child seat tether )
4. If you don't import at landing you will not be able to drive it legally in Canada, other than from the Port of Entry to your residence and then back to the US>

PMM

manianz47

Sep 15, 2008
Hi
Q1: Paper works may not be needed. However list the Vehicle Brand, Model, Year and VIN and provide a photograph
Q2: Please check the Official site...
Q3: Should be during the import. However please check the Official site

www.cbsa.gc.ca

All the Best