+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Importing Car, Crossing Border on Old US Plates

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
I am wondering if there are going to be any problems driving my car--with the current U.S. registration plates and U.S. insurance--back and forth across the border as I move my things to my new home.

It will take some time to get the RIV papers and get the car inspected and registered and I am wondering if I am going to have any problems driving it with the US plates during that time. I am moving to Manitoba and MPI says you can drive your car on the old plates for up to 3 months.

Canada Border Services gave me an ambiguous answer and US customs and Border protection acted like it was a silly question.

Thanks!

ajain09

Nov 10, 2008
Yes, border crossing with US registered car is a problem. From my experience, I am sharing this.
I had become a canadian PR around 9 months back (Feb-08) but I have not moved completely to Canada as I am on work in US. Lately I crossed the US/Canada border with US registed car, I was told since I had become Canadian PR morethan 8 months ago, it is illegal to drive a foreign registered car owned by me in Canada for a period of morethan 60 days. I was compelled to start the importing process like Form -1 and Fees for importing etc. I refused to do that, as I need the car in united states for my business reasons also once the car becomes a canadian car (i,e Imported to canada) you will have similar issues with US Customs and DMV (USA). It will become a nightmare of importing/reimporting car between canada & US.
The rules pertaining to this scenario is highly ambiguos and it is purely under the discretion of Canada Border services agency. Unfortunately, I am not trying to evade the system or rules, I am prepared to import the car once I am completely ready to move but till that point, canadian government should relax or make things clear on this type of scenrios. It gives a unpleasant and bad experience to a potential immigrant who lived in states for many years and gives a feeling that Canadian Immigration is all about money making business for Govt of Canada.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are moving to Canada and not importing the car yet, you are supposed to list it on your goods to follow list and tell them at the border that you will be taking it back and forth.

As for the other guy, it is not illegal for a Canadian PR to live in the US. You can live outside Canada for up to 3 years in any 5 year period so tell them that your car is US registered because you are living in the US.

ajain09

Nov 10, 2008
It is not illegal to live outside of Canada for Canada PR but it is illegal to drive a US plated car in canada if you are Canadian PR and landed morethan certain 2 or 3 months ago.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Are you sure about that? You have a link to that law? Because that is discrimination against Canadians PR's who live in the US. If you were a non-PR coming to Canada to visit and you live in the US, you would be able to drive your car across. All of a sudden if you are PR, it's illegal? I can understand it would be illegal if you are actually living in Canada but you are not.

ajain09

Nov 10, 2008
This happened to me last sat (Nov-8) when I tried to cross Rainbow bridge between Niagara Falls (NY) and Niagara Falls (ON) . Unfortunately I did not have the CBSA officer's identity who stopped me. I saw similar blog reply under this section "Driving to Canada after initial landing from the States" that says there is law that prohibits Canada PR driving a US Registered Car in Canada.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

ajain09 said:
This happened to me last sat (Nov-8) when I tried to cross Rainbow bridge between Niagara Falls (NY) and Niagara Falls (ON) . Unfortunately I did not have the CBSA officer's identity who stopped me. I saw similar blog reply under this section "Driving to Canada after initial landing from the States" that says there is law that prohibits Canada PR driving a US Registered Car in Canada.
Here is the reference:

3. A conveyance may be imported if,
(a) the conveyance, while in Canada is to be used
solely for the transportation of a resident and
accompanying persons from the point of arrival in
Canada directly to a specified destination in Canada
and from the specified destination to a destination
outside Canada

http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-4-1-eng.pdf

PMM

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
From your link I read this:

“resident” means a person who, in the settled routine of the
person’s life, makes that person’s home, resides and is
ordinarily present in Canada. (résident)

So he can state that under this law, he is not classified as a "resident" because he does not currently reside in Canada although he may have PR status.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Leon said:
From your link I read this:

“resident” means a person who, in the settled routine of the
person's life, makes that person's home, resides and is
ordinarily present in Canada. (résident)

So he can state that under this law, he is not classified as a "resident" because he does not currently reside in Canada although he may have PR status.
Thats splitting hairs, CBSA is going to say that he is a PR and resident in Canada. They don't care what his home address is.

PMM

ajain09

Nov 10, 2008
From PMM, We can safely conclude a PR should not drive US registered Car in canada. This is a important piece of information for many canada PRs living in United states.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
There is a legal distinction between a person with "landed permanent resident status" in Canada and someone who is a "resident" of Canada. A "landed permanent resident" can legally be a "non-resident" of Canada and a legal "resident" of another country, including the United States, simultaneously. After I made the initial post in this thread, I drove my US plated and registered vehicle into and out of Canada no less than five times. I had zero problems at the border either way. CBSA recognized that although I held landed permanent resident status, I was not a resident of Canada and therefore not prohibited from driving a US plated vehicle in Canada. However, do not expect all CBSA officers to comprehend this distinction. Many of them are very young and seem very inexperienced. If you encounter a situation like this and CBSA is insisting you must import your vehicle, ask to speak to a supervisor and try politely to get them to understand your situation.

croaker

Dec 31, 2008
Sorry if I did not understand the final points of this discussion.

I bought a car while working in the US (2 years). I've returned to Canada to live permanently (Canadian citizen). I have successfully completed the RIV process; the car is now imported with the appropriate modifications and labeling.

My car is financed and thus I do not have the title. To register it in my province I'd have to pay the whole thing off (to get the title). I'd prefer to avoid paying it off in full for as long as I can.

What I'd like to do is keep my USA plates until they expire in late 2009. My USA insurance company will insure me until the plates are returned.

Is it OK with the Canadian/provincial govn't to drive the car (already completed RIV process and Canadian certification) for around 9 months with USA plates? The car will be registered and insured in the USA for the 9 months.

Thank you for your help!!!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
According to the law and link posted earlier, it is not legal to drive your car on USA plates after you are landed and living in Canada. You can see how long you can get away with it. Maybe you will. Or you can go to a registry and ask them.

plank

Feb 21, 2008
Hi Croaker, Could you confirm if the car loan(from U.S financial institution) has to be paid off before registering vehicle in any province in Canada? Is it true for all provinces or just some? could you give more details regarding this as I am trying to import my car to Canada from U.S which is on lien? Thanks a lot

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

plank said:
Hi Croaker, Could you confirm if the car loan(from U.S financial institution) has to be paid off before registering vehicle in any province in Canada? Is it true for all provinces or just some? could you give more details regarding this as I am trying to import my car to Canada from U.S which is on lien? Thanks a lot
I will take a guess that Croaker didn't export the car from the US. http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/basic_trade/export_docs/motor_vehicle.xml or s/he had a letter from the lender allowing him/her to export the car, very unusual.

PMM