Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Noticed this change in ALL guides on December 16, 2011:

Translation of documents

Any document that is not in English or French must be accompanied by:
•the English or French translation; and
•an affidavit from the person who completed the translation; and
•a certified copy of the original document.

Note: An affidavit is a document on which the translator has sworn, in the presence of a commissioner authorized to administer oaths in the country in which the translator is living, that the contents of their translation are a true translation and representation of the contents of the original document. Translators who are certified members in good standing of one of the provincial or territorial organizations of translators and interpreters of Canada do not need to supply an affidavit.

Important information. Translations by family members are not acceptable.

pelipeli

Champion Member
Sep 30, 2011
Calgary Alberta CND
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 25, 2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
Sponsor approved: May 1,2012; file rcvd by CEM: May 8
Med's Done....
Dec 19,2011
Passport Req..
PPR date: May10, PPR rcvd: May16, PP sent: May 17 ,PP rcvd by CEM:May18
VISA ISSUED...
IP: Aug16, DM: Aug19 Visa Issue Date: August 16, 2012 Visa rcvd: Aug24
LANDED..........
September 20, 2012, PR card received Nov 23,2012
i think that only applies to legal documents like birth or marriage certificates. but for proof of relationship like emails, letters, cards, i'm not sure. any comments, seniors? Leon? PMM?

Saffy

Star Member
Dec 18, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-04-2012
AOR Received.
August 29, 2012
File Transfer...
July 17, 2012
Med's Done....
April 10, 2012
Passport Req..
13-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-11-2012
now does this include ID cards? my hubby has ID card in italian and a tunisian ID card in arabic, he also has residency italian card written in italian... do these need to be translated too?

papers we will translate: Our marriage certificate for sure
-the police check (if its not in french or english)

anything else?

my hubby thinks its strange to be translating ID cards... can someone let me know if we must do this?

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's a new policy across the board. Re-read the first line:

ANY document that is not in English or French.....

Remains to be seen how VOs will look at uncertified translations of proof of relationship. They may continue to accept them or totally discount them.

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I seem to recall that exact language in the checklist since the time I applied, so how do we know that this is really an operational change and from what (I presume from any document that was issued by a legal or governmental authority....)? I didn't see it in the operational bulletins for 2011 like with the change affecting counterfoils for visa-exempt countries.
rjessome said:
Noticed this change in ALL guides on December 16, 2011:

Translation of documents

Any document that is not in English or French must be accompanied by:
•the English or French translation; and
•an affidavit from the person who completed the translation; and
•a certified copy of the original document.

Note: An affidavit is a document on which the translator has sworn, in the presence of a commissioner authorized to administer oaths in the country in which the translator is living, that the contents of their translation are a true translation and representation of the contents of the original document. Translators who are certified members in good standing of one of the provincial or territorial organizations of translators and interpreters of Canada do not need to supply an affidavit.

Important information. Translations by family members are not acceptable.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ddobro2 said:
I seem to recall that exact language in the checklist since the time I applied, so how do we know that this is really an operational change and from what (I presume from any document that was issued by a legal or governmental authority....)? I didn't see it in the operational bulletins for 2011 like with the change affecting counterfoils for visa-exempt countries.
Because it is now in each and every Guide pertaining to immigration to Canada which are published by the government of Canada. It has it's own separate heading. The former Immigrant's Guide in the Family Class stated:

The checklist at Appendix A will tell you which documents you must submit with your application and which require translation and/or certification (notarization).

The current Guide now specifically describes what is required with respect to translations and certified true copies:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/3900ETOC.asp

They don't HAVE to do an OB to change things up in their instructions depending on what the changes are. This latest guide was updated November 16, 2011. I can't even say for sure if it was published on the website at that time because I only noticed it last week. And the old checklists stated: "If your documents are not in English or French, send a notarized (certified) translation with a copy of the originals." Who knows why they are specifically stating this now? As I said, it remains to be seen what kind of impact this will have on spousal applications. It has a bigger impact on economic class applications as many procedures have recently changed, especially for PNP applicants. The VOs may continue to accept things in the family class as they did previously. However, if this ever became an issue at appeal or judicial review where a visa officer discounted evidence that was not properly translated, the Appellant would lose.

I'm just reporting what has been revised in the most recent Guides.

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Super, thanks for the info :)
rjessome said:
Because it is now in each and every Guide pertaining to immigration to Canada which are published by the government of Canada. It has it's own separate heading. The former Immigrant's Guide in the Family Class stated:

The checklist at Appendix A will tell you which documents you must submit with your application and which require translation and/or certification (notarization).

The current Guide now specifically describes what is required with respect to translations and certified true copies:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/3900ETOC.asp

They don't HAVE to do an OB to change things up in their instructions depending on what the changes are. This latest guide was updated November 16, 2011. I can't even say for sure if it was published on the website at that time because I only noticed it last week. And the old checklists stated: "If your documents are not in English or French, send a notarized (certified) translation with a copy of the originals." Who knows why they are specifically stating this now? As I said, it remains to be seen what kind of impact this will have on spousal applications. It has a bigger impact on economic class applications as many procedures have recently changed, especially for PNP applicants. The VOs may continue to accept things in the family class as they did previously. However, if this ever became an issue at appeal or judicial review where a visa officer discounted evidence that was not properly translated, the Appellant would lose.

I'm just reporting what has been revised in the most recent Guides.

pelipeli

Champion Member
Sep 30, 2011
Calgary Alberta CND
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 25, 2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Dec 19,2011
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
oh boy ,our proof is rel'p is all printed and ready, i dont wanna have to get the affected ones officially translated and notarized again coz there are lots. I hope somebody could clarify this with the call centre maybe? If only I'm in Canada now i would call them up..

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pelipeli said:
oh boy ,our proof is rel'p is all printed and ready, i dont wanna have to get the affected ones officially translated and notarized again coz there are lots. I hope somebody could clarify this with the call centre maybe? If only I'm in Canada now i would call them up..
Well I've been thinking about this and since no one knows for sure how visa offices will view proof such as chats and emails that may be voluminous and informally translated, what I suggest you do is this:

Send the proof with your uncertified translations as is. In your cover letter reference this proof with the statement:

Please find enclosed proof of our communications via email, chat, etc. These communications have been translated by me (for example) to the best of my ability to provide a guide to our discussions. If you require certified translations of these documents, we would be happy to provide them at a later date if requested.

Then leave it to them to decide whether or not they want the certified translations. HOWEVER, I would only use this for this type of proof, NOT for any other kind of document.

pelipeli

Champion Member
Sep 30, 2011
Calgary Alberta CND
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 25, 2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Dec 19,2011
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
rjessome said:
Well I've been thinking about this and since no one knows for sure how visa offices will view proof such as chats and emails that may be voluminous and informally translated, what I suggest you do is this:

Send the proof with your uncertified translations as is. In your cover letter reference this proof with the statement:

Please find enclosed proof of our communications via email, chat, etc. These communications have been translated by me (for example) to the best of my ability to provide a guide to our discussions. If you require certified translations of these documents, we would be happy to provide them at a later date if requested.

Then leave it to them to decide whether or not they want the certified translations. HOWEVER, I would only use this for this type of proof, NOT for any other kind of document.
thanks so much! yes that is what we did, i put a cover letter stating that. :)