+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Import my car from Canada to US

ardalanjavadi

Mar 5, 2019
Hello everybody,
I am going to permanently import my 2016 Nissan Altima registered in Ontario to the US.
I bought it here in Canada and own it more than 1 year.
What do I need more than EPA, HS7 and CBP forms?

Can anybody help me?
Thanks,
Ardalan Javadi

justinline

May 19, 2009
Get Bill of Sale and documents to prove taxes paid already.
Also get no recall letter and car meeting the safety standards.

greencard14

Star Member
Jan 31, 2014
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with app
Med's Request
13-11-2014
Med's Done....
11-12-2014
I have the same question. I bought the car in the US, imported to Canada, now want to take it back to US for good.
When bringing it to Canada, there is a lot of process in terms of first exporting it and then importing it. Paying RIV fees, etc. Where can I find that info for the US side?
And do you know if we can get the original title back from Ontario DMV?

justinline

May 19, 2009
I have the same question. I bought the car in the US, imported to Canada, now want to take it back to US for good.
When bringing it to Canada, there is a lot of process in terms of first exporting it and then importing it. Paying RIV fees, etc. Where can I find that info for the US side?
And do you know if we can get the original title back from Ontario DMV?
I have small post in this section of the forum regarding importing vehicles to US.
I don't think you can get the original title back. The ON registration part is enough, there are two sections to it one it title other is registration. When you import the car, at the border they will give you importation form(I forgot the name). You take the form and the ON registration to DMV, they will mail you a new title from the DMV.

Reactions: greencard14

greencard14

Star Member
Jan 31, 2014
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with app
Med's Request
13-11-2014
Med's Done....
11-12-2014
@justinline thank you very much. I will try to find your post. Did you import your car to a bordering state like Michigan or it shouldn't matter in terms of any state's DMV in the US would just understand the process, correct? I mean registering in the states with ON registration?

justinline

May 19, 2009
Process may vary state to state, they might have to call head office to confirm what else is needed depending on the state. If its Michigan, you would not have much issue. I am in mid-west, when I went to DMV, I had to go talk to the supervisor, then she called up the head office, to understand the process. In my state all the importation is handled at central location, so in the DMV they just took all the documents and mailed to that office. Then after month I got query to show that I owned the vehicle for long time and already paid taxes when I bought it. After another month I was given a new title.

greencard14

Star Member
Jan 31, 2014
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with app
Med's Request
13-11-2014
Med's Done....
11-12-2014
Process may vary state to state, they might have to call head office to confirm what else is needed depending on the state. If its Michigan, you would not have much issue. I am in mid-west, when I went to DMV, I had to go talk to the supervisor, then she called up the head office, to understand the process. In my state all the importation is handled at central location, so in the DMV they just took all the documents and mailed to that office. Then after month I got query to show that I owned the vehicle for long time and already paid taxes when I bought it. After another month I was given a new title.
got it. Thank you.

bluecheese123

Feb 24, 2021
@justinline , did you move back to the U.S. after the oath ceremony or did you move back after mailing you application?
I was wondering if it is okay to move back to the U.S. a few weeks after mailing in the citizenship application? And assuming we maintain the PR Residency Obligation until we get citizenship?

justinline

May 19, 2009
@justinline , did you move back to the U.S. after the oath ceremony or did you move back after mailing you application?
I was wondering if it is okay to move back to the U.S. a few weeks after mailing in the citizenship application? And assuming we maintain the PR Residency Obligation until we get citizenship?
I would advice against leaving Canada before citizenship ceremony, lot of people do that. I would not recommend that.