+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigrating with a Senior Parent

SandyUSA

Apr 16, 2008
My Mom is originally from Scotland. Her brother went to Canada and she went to the States. She got married and I was born but unfortunately my Dad passed away when I was very young. Its been the 2 of us all these years with no family. She tried getting into Canada in the 70's but they did not accept her. Things were different back then. Anyway, years later she got notice that she could get in. By this time I was in High School having a great time and did not want to leave. Well, here I am married with 3 children and my husband and I would love to apply for permanent residence for our family. The only problem is my Mom who has worked hard to maintain her home and receives very minimum social security. She is 77 and in good health but has mild COPD and needs to be monitored. If we moved, what would her situation be like? Would she get health care? Could she apply for senior housing? Could she live with us? She has money in the bank, ect.. plus a home here that she would sell. She would receive her social security from the US and Scotland (both minimum). Please let me know what you think she would be entitled to. Any advise is appreciated.

Sandy

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

SandyUSA said:
My Mom is originally from Scotland. Her brother went to Canada and she went to the States. She got married and I was born but unfortunately my Dad passed away when I was very young. Its been the 2 of us all these years with no family. She tried getting into Canada in the 70's but they did not accept her. Things were different back then. Anyway, years later she got notice that she could get in. By this time I was in High School having a great time and did not want to leave. Well, here I am married with 3 children and my husband and I would love to apply for permanent residence for our family. The only problem is my Mom who has worked hard to maintain her home and receives very minimum social security. She is 77 and in good health but has mild COPD and needs to be monitored. If we moved, what would her situation be like? Would she get health care? Could she apply for senior housing? Could she live with us? She has money in the bank, ect.. plus a home here that she would sell. She would receive her social security from the US and Scotland (both minimum). Please let me know what you think she would be entitled to. Any advise is appreciated.

Sandy
1. First you and your spouse are going to have to apply for emigration to Canada. Take the assessment at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who.asp and read the information there to see if qualify.
2. If you qualify and apply, without a job offer in Canada or a skill that is in high demand, you will be looking at 3 years before the application would be processed. Your mother cannot be include in the application.
3. if you receive an Immigrant visa, once you have "landed" in Canada and have earned the Low Income Cut off Figure (2008 for 6 people it is $46779) from Canadian sources, you can sponsor your mother.
4. Canada put very little priority on sponsorship of parents/grandparents, so you are looking 23 months for processing at Mississauga and 5-12 months at London. She will have to pass the medical.
5. When/If she receives PR status, she will be eligible for health care after the 3 month waiting period (some provinces there is no waiting period) She would not be eligible for subsidized senior housing as you sign an undertaking for 10 years.
6. For more answers you should post in the skilled workers form.

PMM

SandyUSA

Apr 16, 2008
Thank you so much for replying. You actually replied to me before and I envy and appreciate your knowledge of this whole process.

I just want to make sure I understand. We can apply for PR and get it (hopefully) within 3 years. My husband is not in a high demand job (Claims Representative for Progressive Auto Insurance) although I am a legal secretary. Someone told me that they are in high demand in Toronto. Do you know if that is true? In any case, lets say 3 years start to finish. Okay, so in the meantime, I can also apply for a visa and live in Canada (or is PR and Visa the same thing)? I know I am totally ignorant. I am trying desperately to educate myself. Finally, as far as my mom, she can get in (again hopefully) within 2 years of us receiving PR. Now, the whole time that we are waiting for our PR and her PR - can we all be in Canada living? Finally, what is Low Income Cut Off and what is the meaning behind it? My mom can support herself with her social security. We can buy a house together and she can have a section of it. If so, can we pay for her dr. visits if she needs them? I am sorry to bombard you. You really just seem to know your stuff.

Thanks for the patience.

Sandy

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

SandyUSA said:
Thank you so much for replying. You actually replied to me before and I envy and appreciate your knowledge of this whole process.

I just want to make sure I understand. We can apply for PR and get it (hopefully) within 3 years. My husband is not in a high demand job (Claims Representative for Progressive Auto Insurance) although I am a legal secretary.

Legal Secretary is considered a skilled job level B in the NOC. see: http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC-CNP/docs/Matrix_Poster_English.pdf
to get the full points you must have worked at this trade for 4 years in the past 10. You really should take the assessment.

Someone told me that they are in high demand in Toronto. Do you know if that is true? In any case, lets say 3 years start to finish.

Okay, so in the meantime, I can also apply for a visa and live in Canada (or is PR and Visa the same thing)?

Permanent Residence (PR) and Immigrant visa are the same thing, you cannot live/work in Canada until you get the Permanent Residence Visa.

I know I am totally ignorant. I am trying desperately to educate myself. Finally, as far as my mom, she can get in (again hopefully) within 2 years of us receiving PR.

Not quite, you and your spouse have to earn at least $46779 in Canada before you can submit the application for your mother. Then it will take about 2.5 years to process her application.

Now, the whole time that we are waiting for our PR and her PR - can we all be in Canada living?

No

Finally, what is Low Income Cut Off and what is the meaning behind it? My mom can support herself with her social security. We can buy a house together and she can have a section of it. If so, can we pay for her dr. visits if she needs them? I am sorry to bombard you. You really just seem to know your stuff.

When you sponsor her, you have to sign an undertaking to basically ensure that she doesn't end up on the public purse for 10 years. Medical Insurance, depending on the province is about $45 per month, which covers Drs/Hospitals care, but doesn't cover perscriptions or dental. The Low Income Cut Off figure is the amount that the Government says is required to live in Canada for a year, in your case it is the $46779 for a family of 6. There isn't a hope in h**l that you could live on that in Toronto. Job prospects might be hard as it is a different criminal code and laws.

Thanks for the patience.

You should post in the above skilled worker section, will get more answers

Sandy
PMM