Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
14-08-2010
Hi, I am a U.S. citizen being sponsored by my Canadian wife. We are filling out form IMM 1344A, and we got to section C question 6a). I am applying outland through Buffalo , but I am currently living in Canada on a study and then work permit. Should I use my address here in Canada or my "residential" address in New York? They say this is a way for them to know where to send the forms. It says above 6b) not to answer b and c if "you are sponsoring a member of the spouse/common-law partner in canada class"? Is this referring to our situation of family class spouse sponsorship? b and c seem relevent to answer. Thank you.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
OK, this part can be confusing, but it's actually rather simple. First of all, because you're a US citizen your application will go to Buffalo - regardless of which address you use. That's because all US applicants are processed through Buffalo AND any foreign national who is initially admitted to Canada for a period of at least one year is eligible to use their Canadian address as their residential address - and those applications are also processed through Buffalo. So, say you were from the UK and you were initially admitted to Canada on a one year work permit - you would qualify to use your Canadian address and have your application processed at Buffalo. Being you're from the States and you were admitted with what I'm assuming was probably a one year work permit, you could use your Canadian address as your residential address and your application would go to Buffalo . . . but it will go to Buffalo anyway. The only difference is whether it will get transferred at some point to one of the other US visa offices - and that can be an advantage. First, sometimes Buffalo transfers applications when they get backlogged to one of the other State-side visa offices (Detroit, NYC, Seattle or Los Angeles) to expedite processing. If your ap is being processed based on your Canadian address, it won't get transferred. In addition, if your ap stays in Buffalo and an interview is required, it will be held in Buffalo. If you're in Ontario, that could be good. If you're in BC, not so good. By using a US residential address, you have the option to have your application transferred for an interview to a visa office that you designate in the "Interview Location Preference" form in Appendix A of the US Region Specific guide. You also benefit from them sending your ap to the visa office closest to your US residential address if they do so to expedite processing. You can always use your Canadian address as your contact info - so you don't have to worry that if you use a US residential address, they'll try to contact you there and not find you. They won't. There is no residence requirement to outland aps - you could be in Siberia and still have your ap processed through Buffalo because you're American. Your ability to be in Canada is based on your work permit - and you're eligible to be processed for PR outland, as a US citizen through Buffalo, regardless of where you're living now. Hope that makes sense and answers your question.

leenicka06

Aug 7, 2008
Calgary, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
14-08-2010
Thank you so much for that, it really helped clear up that confusing part. I am still wondering about the next two questions where it says above 6b) not to answer b and c if "you are sponsoring a member of the spouse/common-law partner in canada class"? Does that apply to me considering I am being sponsored by my Canadian spouse? I'm not sure if "Canada class" and "family class" are the same thing? Should i put N/A next to those two questions or answer them?