+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTS score for CEC

Nervous

Aug 5, 2009
Hello,

Could anyone let me know what is the minimum IELTS test score needed to apply in CEC class for Skill Level A Occupation ?
Is 6 score enough in each testing ability in IELTS test ?

Thanks in advance always...

Nervous

Aug 5, 2009
I forgot to say this point, my first official language is English. Could anyone advice asap..

Thanks in Advance always..

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you read your application guide at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/5609E.PDF you will see at page 6 that for an A skilled job, you need benchmark 7. On page 7, they show you what that means in IELTS scores. Scoring 6 in each ability in IELTS would be enough. Since your first language is English, you don't have to take IELTS though. Write a letter stating that your first language is English and send some proof of education etc. and you should be fine.

onono

Jun 14, 2009
Normally, for immigration, people should take IELTS test Category GENERAL.

so is it the same for CEC? Score 6, 5 or 4 are for GENERAL? NOT ACADEMIC, right?

Thank you.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
onono said:
Normally, for immigration, people should take IELTS test Category GENERAL.

so is it the same for CEC? Score 6, 5 or 4 are for GENERAL? NOT ACADEMIC, right?

Thank you.
Yes, general, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/language-testing.asp

Note: IELTS has two options for the reading and writing tests: “General Training” and “Academic.” You must take the “General Training” option.

elp

Oct 17, 2009
Leon,

I just want to share my experience here in BC. My employer has been abusing us "Filipino workers". They promised us that they will nominate us for BC PNP. Since at that time we believe that they are the only one who can help us obtain a PR stautus, we just work and work but now its clear to us that they dont have any plans at all because we are working for them for more than 1 year and we did not hear anything. At some point, they told us that they will nominate us but they will let us sign a contract that we will work for them for 5 years in exchange of the BC PNP nomonation...Is that binding?

They promoted me to a manager position. I have been holding this position for 1 year, am I eligible to apply for the CEC or FSW? which would you advise?

Is it our right here in canada that we can get Certificate of Employment? I am just concern because my employer might not give me certificate of employment and the promotion letter.

it is just so sad to realize that there are employers who are using the BC PNP as their tool in abusing temporary workers. Contracts were not followed in exchange for the promise of the "nomination". Its not just me, more of us here are victims.

Thank you so much for the help.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't think they can make you sign a binding contract for PNP but talk to a lawyer or talk to the BC ministry of education and labour market, they govern over the immigration policy and might be able to help you, their contact at http://www.gov.bc.ca/aved/contacts.html You can also talk to the BC PNP at http://www.aved.gov.bc.ca/provincialnominee/strategicoccupations/contact.htm

The general rule about PNP is that you can not force your employer to nominate you and your employer can withdraw the nomination at any time. I do however not believe that they can use it to their advantage and make you sign a 5 year contract but if you find out that they can't and you say that, then they might not nominate you at all. If you want to go for PNP, you have to decide if you want to push for PNP through this company, even sign a 5 year contract if you have already found out it's illegal and will not stick or if you want to look for another employer and do PNP with them.

You can apply for FSW if you have enough points. If your only skilled work experience is as a manager by this employer in Canada and your work permit does not say manager but something else, you will need a letter from the employer to prove what you have been doing. You can apply for CEC after 2 years working in a skilled job and again, you would have to prove that. You still need the employer to co-operate with you so play nice.

elp

Oct 17, 2009
Leon, thanks for your inputs.

I have more than 10 years experience as manager back home in the Philippines...i am hoping this would suffice for my CEC or FSW application.

Thanks again.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you already have more than 1 years of skilled work experience, have enough points to apply as an FSW and have spent a year or more in Canada, you qualify to apply under category 3 for FSW.