+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IEC to Common Law Sponsorship

IceQueenFiona

Sep 30, 2019
Salutations lovely people [and apologies if I am in the wrong sub forum].

To start, I have spent an enormous amount of time trying to piece my way through the abundance of information regarding this subject that, to state it flatly, I have not begun to fully undertake yet. [The opening for the IEC pool in 2020, doesn't open until late December/early January].

Specifically my situation is as follows:
  • I am looking to obtain an open work permit through the IEC program and take residence in Quebec City with my boyfriend for one year [he will add me to his current lease to establish that we've been together for a year as required].
  • As the year begins to end, we want to file for him to sponsor me under the common-law partner sponsorship [and I hope to continue working under the implied status as allowed].
  • For what its worth, I plan to try for at least part-time (if I can't balance full time) French classes while working and staying there.
  • Another detail if its worth anything, I'd be working under a B class job - Administration as its what I currently do in the US.
So my questions are these:
  1. Can we even do this? I can't find any specific restrictions to say that "no, we can't" but obviously they wouldn't be outlined like that so I am hoping someone here can provide some clarity to potential issues.
  2. How exactly do I begin to try and obtain the CSQ given that I am not applying under an economic factor [which is how it seems to be typically presented under the links I've found]?
I may have others that I'm currently drawing a blank on but mostly I'm trying to find some more tailored knowledge since some of the information I've found can be very vague in some regards.

I appreciate any and all help. <3

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You couldn’t apply for common law sponsorship until you have the full year of living together. You will end up with a period of time where you will likely have to switch to visitor status until you can file your inland sponsorship application plus OWP and then receive an OWP.

Reactions: IceQueenFiona

IceQueenFiona

Sep 30, 2019
This is what I suspected as well and that's fine.

[Nix'd this question because it's too early for deep thinking apparently.]

What do I need to do about the CSQ thou?

Edited to Added: Would it be best to apply for a temporary visitor visa to continue my stay and not be forced back home?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
This is what I suspected as well and that's fine.

[Nix'd this question because it's too early for deep thinking apparently.]

What do I need to do about the CSQ thou?

Edited to Added: Would it be best to apply for a temporary visitor visa to continue my stay and not be forced back home?
Yes you can change your status to visitor before your IEC expires. It is easy to do. Would specify that you are trying to establish common law and you will be applying for sponsorship. This is a very common thing to do. Give yourself at least a day. It is important to remain in status in order for you to qualify for the OWP pilot program when you apply for sponsorship.

IceQueenFiona

Sep 30, 2019
Give yourself at least a day. It is important to remain in status in order for you to qualify for the OWP pilot program when you apply for sponsorship.
Can you elaborate to this point? Give myself at least a day on my original visa to change over or?

And in status, meaning? Is legal status?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Can you elaborate to this point? Give myself at least a day on my original visa to change over or?

And in status, meaning? Is legal status?
People tend to wait until the evening on the day their Visa expires to apply to change their status to visitor. Often change is only recorded on the next day and they end up out of status.

IceQueenFiona

Sep 30, 2019
People tend to wait until the evening on the day their Visa expires to apply to change their status to visitor. Often change is only recorded on the next day and they end up out of status.
It can really be that quick? Where would I need to apply to change this?

All the information online seems to say that I need to apply for a visitor's visa at least 30 to 60 days before my work permit/visa expires.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It can really be that quick? Where would I need to apply to change this?

All the information online seems to say that I need to apply for a visitor's visa at least 30 to 60 days before my work permit/visa expires.
Yes that fast. Online. The the 30 days is to apply to extend your permit.

IceQueenFiona

Sep 30, 2019
Yes that fast. Online. The the 30 days is to apply to extend your permit.
Do you mind pointing me specifically?

I apologize but I can't find the greatest direction online and I am basically stock piling information and links at this point. [Ha.]

Also, once the full year has passed, there is no other kind of period my partner and I need to wait for before we apply for sponsorship is there? And I'm guessing you don't have information about the CSQ and where it comes in during this sponsorship?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

I apologize but I can't find the greatest direction online and I am basically stock piling information and links at this point. [Ha.]

Also, once the full year has passed, there is no other kind of period my partner and I need to wait for before we apply for sponsorship is there? And I'm guessing you don't have information about the CSQ and where it comes in during this sponsorship?
The CSQ will be requested by IRCC after you apply for sponsorship.

corincan

Star Member
Apr 2, 2019

I had an IEC open work permit then applied for common law spousal sponsorship so I can help you out here!
I applied for the spousal sponsor 2 weeks after our 1 year of cohabitation, as that was when we had the documents ready to go, and I've had no issues at all. I assume though there should be no issue applying at one year and one day, as long as the year requirement has been met. GIven you don't already live together, get as many bills with both of your names on them as possible, from day 1. Electricity, internet, phones, gas, lease, shared credit cards/bank accounts, insurance etc. The more you have, the better. Remember you need PROOF of cohabitation for 1 year, not just the fact you live together, so add your name to everything from day 1 to be safe.

We hit one year Jan 31st 2019, IRCC received my application Feb 13 2019 and my IEC expired end of March 2019, so I was still in status when I sent the application, but I had not received my work permit at the point when my IEC expired. I changed my status to visitor in case my application was returned to me, so I was always in status.
I applied for visitor status 2 weeks before my IEC expired, and it took 30ish days to be approved, giving me "assumed" status between when my IEC expired and when the visitor status was approved.

You should apply to change your status to visitor before your IEC expires, just to give you peace of mind that everything is good. I'd recommend not leaving it until day of to change it, in case something is wrong.

In your case, you will have a few months that you will only have a visitor status (so you cannot work) until your Open Work Permit is approved through the PR (this can take 4-5 months after you apply), so be prepared to be out of work for a few months at least.

After you apply to the federal common law sponsorship, they will then ask you to apply to MIDI to get your CSQ. You only apply for the CSQ first if you are going through the economic or express entry streams.

Hope I helped a little bit.