+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ICT - US to Canada - Few clarification

sachin_us

Jan 10, 2011
I am on H1B in US and my company applied WP for me and my wife and it got approved. We will be receiving our passport with visa soon. I have following questions :-

1. I have kids born in US with US passport. While applying WP, my company said they don't need visa. I hope they are ok to travel with us without visa with just US passport. Please confirm. If yes, what will be there status - Visitor Visa?
2. Do we need medical insurance? Do my employer will provide or I have to buy it on my own?
3. While applying my wp, i had choice to apply open wp for my wife and I selected that option. Is just getting visa in passport enough for her to start looking for job while we plan to move to canada soon
4. Do we need some documents like SSN before we start working in Canada? Can we apply this from US?
5. We will be moving to Toronto....Can someone please provide the best schools in Toronto? My kids are middle and elementary. Middle one will move to High next year.
6. Can i rent home from here?

Thanks,
Sachin

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am on H1B in US and my company applied WP for me and my wife and it got approved. We will be receiving our passport with visa soon. I have following questions :-

1. I have kids born in US with US passport. While applying WP, my company said they don't need visa. I hope they are ok to travel with us without visa with just US passport. Please confirm. If yes, what will be there status - Visitor Visa?
2. Do we need medical insurance? Do my employer will provide or I have to buy it on my own?
3. While applying my wp, i had choice to apply open wp for my wife and I selected that option. Is just getting visa in passport enough for her to start looking for job while we plan to move to canada soon
4. Do we need some documents like SSN before we start working in Canada? Can we apply this from US?
5. We will be moving to Toronto....Can someone please provide the best schools in Toronto? My kids are middle and elementary. Middle one will move to High next year.
6. Can i rent home from here?

Thanks,
Sachin
1. Yes, that fine. They will have visitor status.
2. You'll be covered by OHIP immediately.
3. She can start looking for a job now however employers may not be willing to consider her application until she is in Canada and has a SIN.
4. Yes, you need a SIN to start working. Your work permits need to be activated at the border before you can apply for a SIN. No, you cannot apply now. You have to wait until you are in Canada.
5. Which schools your children are allowed to attend will depend on where you are living / your address in Toronto. You can run a google search to find school rankings. For the schools you are interested in, you'll then need to research what geographic boundaries you need to be living within in order to qualify to have your children attend that school.
6. Yes. I would go through a licensed realtor to avoid scams. The realtor can also help you find places to rent within the district for the school(s) you want.

Reactions: usna

sachin_us

Jan 10, 2011
Perfect, thanks for quick response. I am Ok to live anywhere in Toronto and will make decision based on school. Do you know the site where I should be looking for school ranking?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Perfect, thanks for quick response. I am Ok to live anywhere in Toronto and will make decision based on school. Do you know the site where I should be looking for school ranking?
Google "Toronto school rankings".