+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I want to change job, do I need to resign before or after renewing my work permit?

Wilf777

Jan 30, 2020
Hi,

I have been living and working in Quebec under a Work Permit for the last 2,5 years.
I applied and got approved for the CSQ and applied to Permanent residency last August.

I am in the process of changing my employer. I have received and signed the new offer letter. My new employer is flexible regarding my start date so I can get my paperwork sorted.

Because I have the CSQ I have seen on the government website that I can renew my work permit by going to the border. This way I can do it immediately instead of waiting 3 months with the online form.

I have a two week notice period with my current job for when I will quit.
My question is what should I do first? Send my resignation and go directly to the border to renew my work permit? I am afraid that it would make me at odd with the two weeks notice period as technically I wouldn't be able to work for my current employer anymore.
But I am afraid that if I wait to be unemployed before to go to the border, the immigration official might not let me re-enter the territory. What does the law say? How should I proceed?

Thanks,