+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I need advice regarding immigration of a 16 year old.

SerpentStare

Apr 5, 2009
I notice that the child travel laws state children under 16 need a passport and imply that persons aged 16 or older are considered adult. However, in other places, the website seems to state that only persons aged 18 or above are considered adults for the purposes of some visas.

I am a Canadian citizen, inquiring after advice as to how I might help a friend of mine who lives in the U.S. and is 16 years of age to come to Canada, hopefully as a permanent resident, this year.

Her situation, as I understand it, is this: She lives in the Southern U.S. and has changed mode of residence often within the past year. She suffers abuse at home and is currently carrying twins, likely to be born sometime in July, as the result of rape. She has for periods lived on her own by supporting herself with transport (driving) work, and for periods lived with family or friends.

I don't think she would qualify as a refugee, as she is not facing persecution.

I wish to present her with the option of coming to Canada, because I know of people there who would be willing to help support her and her (yet unborn) children.

However I don't know what (if any) visa she would be entitled to considering her current status, or whether moving her would require her to be classified as a dependent child and adopted, or whether there is another way for the people who would support her to vouch for her admittance to the country.

Can anyone give me some advice on how to best handle this matter?

Emily Rivleau