+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I got 1 year PGWP, how can I extend it further?

kaushikjjj

Mar 11, 2020
Hi

I studied a 1 years masters degree from the University of Victoria, Masters in data science.
Thus I received only 1 year of PGWP.

I have 2 years of overseas workexp as well.

What are my pathways for work visa extension or PR.

How likely is it for employers to support international students on a work visa for visa extension? do they have to process a lot of paperwork?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi

I studied a 1 years masters degree from the University of Victoria, Masters in data science.

How likely is it for employers to support international students on a work visa for visa extension? do they have to process a lot of paperwork?
Not able to extend PGWP. Your employer would have to apply for a LMIA
4-6 months time frame , fee of $1000
No guarantees

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi

Your employer needs to obtain an approved LMIA in order for you to be able to keep working in Canada beyond the expiry of your work permit. Yes - this is a long and expensive process. (typically 4-6 months to complete and with no guarantee of approval). Generally speaking, employers are not willing to go through the LMIA process.

In terms of PR, have you looked into the Express Entry program? Have you calculated how many points you have? Right now you need 470+ points to be selected. If you haven't researched this yet, suggest you start right now.