+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I DONT UNDERSTAND THE EDUCATION DIFFERENCES IN CANADA

Urgonnabeokme

Sep 20, 2020
Hello
what is the difference between diploma programs and certificate programs (im talking about the ones you do after high school ?
Is diploma program seen as a lower education degree compared to bachelor?
Are all the 2 year programs in canada called diploma programs?
And is a further education needed after completing a diploma program?
What is a post diploma certificate? Do i have to do my bachelors first to apply to this?
Thank you

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
There are college diplomas, which are below a bachelor's degree, and then post-graduate diplomas/graduate certificates, which are above a bachelor's but nowhere near as good as a master's degree.

Urgonnabeokme

Sep 20, 2020
There are college diplomas, which are below a bachelor's degree, and then post-graduate diplomas/graduate certificates, which are above a bachelor's but nowhere near as good as a master's degree.
But some diploma programs last 3 years so whats the difference between them and bachelors programs? And is it hard to find a job after obtaining a diploma ? Is a further education needed
Thank you for your reply btw

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
3 year diplomas are most likely in trades or other fields where a bachelor's is not expected. But for any other field I would advise doing a bachelor's or master's as appropriate. It's usually much more difficult to find a job in Canada if you only have a diploma or certificate.

Urgonnabeokme

Sep 20, 2020
but is it still possible to find a job with a 2-year diploma even if it is underpaid?
also, postgraduate diploma sounds very reasonable to me. Do you know the duration of these programs? and is it hard to get accepted?
thank you

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
At some moment I had the same doubts and after researching I came up with this summary.

College diploma:
- Requirements: high school.
- Taken in colleges.
- Usually 2 years.

Advanced college diploma:
- Taken in colleges.
- Usually 3 years.

Bachelor degree:
- Taken in university, although some colleges have them as well.
- Usually 4 years.

Graduate diploma:
- Requirements: college diploma, advance diploma or bachelor degree.
- Taken in college, although several universities have them as well.
- Usually 1-2 years.

Master degree (thesis, course or project based):
- Requirements: bachelor degree.
- Taken in university.
- Usually 1-2 years.

PhD:
- Requirements: master degree (thesis based).
- Taken in university.
- Usually 4 years.

If there's something wrong or missing, please let me know.

cilin

Star Member
Sep 3, 2019
Already has a Bachelor and works for several years, then study a 3 years Advanced college diploma for profession, is that help for find a job?

cilin

Star Member
Sep 3, 2019
Not really, you're going backwards
But someone said colleges have coop program and their course is more closely to labor market, while bachelor focus on theory, so college students can find job more quick. is that true?

Urgonnabeokme

Sep 20, 2020
@tapperb thanks for the info.
is it possible to find a job with a 2-year diploma? or should I go for a graduate diploma after bachelor? tbh a graduate diploma seems reasonable too, i can get my bachelor's from a different country but would this matter for Canada? would they recognize a bachelor's from Europe?

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
But someone said colleges have coop program and their course is more closely to labor market, while bachelor focus on theory, so college students can find job more quick. is that true?
That's what people say to market colleges. The truth is all capable people who can go to university go to university. Employers trust university programs more as well. Obviously, if the field is cooking, plumbing or other trade jobs then college is the better option since universities don't teach that.

Reactions: YVR123

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
is it possible to find a job with a 2-year diploma? or should I go for a graduate diploma after bachelor? tbh a graduate diploma seems reasonable too, i can get my bachelor's from a different country but would this matter for Canada? would they recognize a bachelor's from Europe?
If your long term goal is to come to Canada, get a Canadian credential

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
Choosing a college diploma after accomplishing a bachelor degree is normally not well seen by immigration agents. These cases tend to have a higher chance of study permit rejection. If you still want to go for it, you must justify very well why are you seeking that specific career and how it'll improve your professional development.

Urgonnabeokme

Sep 20, 2020
Choosing a college diploma after accomplishing a bachelor degree is normally not well seen by immigration agents. These cases tend to have a higher chance of study permit rejection. If you still want to go for it, you must justify very well why are you seeking that specific career and how it'll improve your professional development.
What about going for a post-grad diploma after completing my bachelor's? it is not as expensive as masters which costs around 20k, and its duration is 1-2 years. Would there be a visa problem also?