+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to renew OHIP while I am outside of Canada

v4x

Star Member
May 3, 2010
Hello,forum members
I am a landed immigrant who's currently living outside of Canada and won't be back in a short period.
but my OHIP will get expired in half year,is there any way to renew it without going back to Canada?
If it's not, can I still apply a new one when I get back? also the driver license?
Does anyone familiar with this...?
Thank you!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
OHIP doesn't cover you while you are outside Canada anyway so it will be fine to apply for a new one when you get back. They do however have residency requirements for OHIP so if you are outside Canada for a certain amount of time, you may have to do the 3 month waiting period again.

v4x

Star Member
May 3, 2010
Thanks so much for the answer, Leon
so...what about the driver license...?
I've been working so hard to get my G license, really don't want to lose it
anyway to renew it while im out of Canada?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can find the information about renewing your license here: http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/renewal.shtml

If you already have a G license, it can be expired for up to one year for you to renew without a problem. Expired 1-3 years means you need a vision test.

v4x

Star Member
May 3, 2010
Leon said:
You can find the information about renewing your license here: http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/renewal.shtml

If you already have a G license, it can be expired for up to one year for you to renew without a problem. Expired 1-3 years means you need a vision test.
Great news!
Thank you so much for this information,Leon!
Also thank you for the website! HA! 8)

jamshad

Star Member
Apr 13, 2010
v4x said:
Hello,forum members
I am a landed immigrant who's currently living outside of Canada and won't be back in a short period.
but my OHIP will get expired in half year,is there any way to renew it without going back to Canada?
If it's not, can I still apply a new one when I get back? also the driver license?
Does anyone familiar with this...?
Thank you!
I have applied for OHIP, but now i m outside, how can i check from outside canada, my health card is ready or not yet. Is there any phone no for checking the status.

Saghar80

Mar 16, 2011
Hi,

I'm a Canadian Citizen living in Dubai for past 6 years. My Health Card got expiered on Sept 2008. I'm pregnant with my first child and due in July 13th. If I come back to give birth to my daughter will I get free care or I have to pay since I was gone for that long?

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Saghar80 said:
Hi,

I'm a Canadian Citizen living in Dubai for past 6 years. My Health Card got expiered on Sept 2008. I'm pregnant with my first child and due in July 13th. If I come back to give birth to my daughter will I get free care or I have to pay since I was gone for that long?
Eligibility
Ontario residents are eligible for provincially funded health coverage (OHIP). Generally, to be eligible for Ontario health coverage you must :

be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or among one of the newcomer to Canada groups who are eligible for OHIP as set out in Ontario’s Health Insurance Act ; and
be physically present in Ontario for 153 days in any 12-month period; and
be physically present in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after establishing residency in the province; and
make your primary place of residence in Ontario.
OHIP coverage normally becomes effective three months after the date you establish residency in Ontario.
The ministry strongly encourages new and returning residents to purchase private health insurance in case you become ill during the OHIP waiting period.

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/ohip/

kw1997

Oct 5, 2011
Guys

Health cards are for residents only. It is illegal to hold to a card if you are a non-resident. Don't want to sound sanctimonious but You should return the cards immediately.

fangcai

Jul 22, 2018
Guys

Health cards are for residents only. It is illegal to hold to a card if you are a non-resident. Don't want to sound sanctimonious but You should return the cards immediately.
I have the same situation. I became a non-resident of Ontario several years ago with my OHIP in hand but never use it. It will be expired soon, do I need to write an explanation to OHIP or just leave as it is till my returning as the resident of Ontario?

Thanks for your attention!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have the same situation. I became a non-resident of Ontario several years ago with my OHIP in hand but never use it. It will be expired soon, do I need to write an explanation to OHIP or just leave as it is till my returning as the resident of Ontario?

Thanks for your attention!
You were suppose to call a OHIP before you left and advise them that you were leaving Canada for an extended period of time. A card doesn’t mean that you have coverage if you haven’t met the residency obligations for OHIP. If you return to Ontario you must apply and and go through the 3 month waiting period again.

skundu73

May 17, 2019
Could anyone tell me whether PR card is needed to apply for health insurance card in British Columbia? I plan to land in the month end. I am wondering whether I could apply it right away or will need to wait until I get the PR card in hand.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Could anyone tell me whether PR card is needed to apply for health insurance card in British Columbia? I plan to land in the month end. I am wondering whether I could apply it right away or will need to wait until I get the PR card in hand.
The website will list all documents necessary. Your landing can be used no matter when you apply.