Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
How to Order CAIPS Notes?

Note:
It is still CAIPS... not yet merged with GCMS.

Our CAIPS can be ordered thru either of the following three [3] methods:
1. By our Consultant [if u have one] --usually a Free service provided by the good ones, or charge $5
2. Thru a Friend/Relative [who's in Canada] --s/he can obtain it under your authorization. Fees $5
3. From Websites [offering CAIPS Service] --discussed below. Costs $30-40.

How to fetch the CAIPS thru friend/relative [in Canada] ?

Under the Privacy Act, one of our friends/relatives, who reside in Canada, can order the CAIPS under our authorization. There is a CIC fee of only $5 to be incurred for that purpose. Here's what we should do:

1. Download the form here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5563B.pdf
2. Fill the specified colums/fields, viz:
- a) Visa post [ND, Buffalo, London etc.]
- b) Your File number [Bxxxxxxx]
- c) Date of Birth [applicant's, not the rep's]
- d) The requester's Postal address [Canadian Address only]

3. Tick the box "for CAIPS Notes request" on the form.
4. Enclose copies of the rep's [not yours] PR Card/visa/COPR etc. [Canadian ID].
5. Attach the Consent Form [signed by each applicant for "use of a representative"].
6. Enclose a Money Order/Draft for $5.
7. Send (Mail or Courier 'only') all the documents to:
Citizenship and Immigration Canada
(Access to Information and Privacy Coordinator)
Narono Building 360 Laurier Avenue West, 10th Floor
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 1L1
Tel.: (613) 957-6512

8. Your CAIPS Notes should return by 4-6 weeks [usually].

Obtaining our CAIPS thru the websites:

There r many websites who offer such services, usually charging anything between $30-40. However, in that 'basic' price they'd only send u the retrieved CAIPS Notes; and would charge u furthermore for explaining them. Nonetheless, it's not a bad idea to yet take their services. Most applicants use either of the following websites for obtaining their CAIPS:

a) http://www.caips.ca/
b) http://caipsnotes.com/index.shtml
c) http://www.caipsretriever.com/2006/03/immigrants-life-in-toronto-canada-ii.html

When will my CAIPS arrive?
As our request application reaches CIC, they'd take a week+ to retrieve it. Despatching takes another week+. While the postal duration could again be one more week. Oh yes, it is send by CIC thru regular postal mail. Thus, overall we r looking at 4-6 weeks to receive our CAIPS notes.

When I'm reading my CAIPS, is it "current" information?
No. As there's a gap between the CAIPS printing [by CIC] & receiving [by us], we would be getting the picture around 3-4 weeks back dated. Things might change in between... some BF'Ds gone by, some addnl Codes logged.

When should I obtain my CAIPS?
It's only required when things have gone overboard... when there's much delay in case progress.... or when we have received an interview letter. Our CAIPS could elicit some info on the perception of our VO/s towards our case... why an interview was required... What stage we r currently in... points calc... when would be the next review date.... next BF'D etc. Thus, we could fetch our CAIPS "after" 8-12 months of case processing.

When should I obtain "another" set of my CAIPS?
It's unwise to frequently apply for our CAIPS notes. Anything between 6-8 months is Ok... 'coz before that nothing much would have been logged on it anyway.

How do I "read" my CAIPS?
Most of the info on our CAIPS r 'coded'. Member FinPro graciously have deliberated on these codes during his 6th Oct 2006 post in this very forum. Pls read it here: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/caips-codes-t2988.0.html

NOTE:
As we 'land' our case logging continues by CIC/CBSA - but thereon it's recorded in "FOSS".

Hope that helped!
Qorax
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

CAIPS:
CAIPS is short for "Computer Assisted Immigration Processing System". It is the computer system historically used by CIC to process visa applications, and holds all the information on the current status of every immigration application being processed by overseas offices (ie. those outside of Canada), other than new applications at offices which have switched to using the "GCMS" system.

FOSS:
FOSS is short for "Field Operations Support System". It is the computer system historically used by CIC offices in Canada to track all immigration-related information of "in-Canada" applicants - as well as continue to do so for all applicants post 'landing'. The FOSS database is a central repository of information on all persons who have been, may be or are wanted to be seen by Immigration staff. FOSS comprises numerous components including query functions, status entry, docs creation, refugee monitoring, medical profiles, client name and address, airport inspection, access & security, and records maintenance. All Immigration staff that work with the public and the staff that support these officers use FOSS. It is also used by Canadian consulates in various locations in the United States. And like the CAIPS system -it is being superceded by GCMS as well.

GCMS:
GCMS is short for "Global Case Management System", and is the newer computer system that CIC is rolling out across their offices around the globe. Once fully incorporated it would supersede CAIPS & FOSS; and manage all info under one umbrella - Mother of All. It's still under implementation in many overseas CHCs. And expected to be fully operational by 2012.

Reactions: Samlawgray

canadaforall

Champion Member
Aug 11, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30th January 2009
Doc's Request.
February .12 .2009
AOR Received.
30. 08.2009
IELTS Request
no
File Transfer...
Med's Request
march 27th 2012
Med's Done....
5 april 2012
Interview........
waved
Passport Req..
March 27th 2912
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Thanks very much Captain. For those who want to order caips, Captain has made it so easy here.

Thanks for being here for us all.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Thanx C-for-all & "I-Care"...
Qorax

*I chose to write this thread 'coz of the repetitive PMs.

fariza

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2010
Australia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Great work once again Captain. In fact it had to be from you to be able us to refer to almost everyday query for many who need.... As the processing system gets with beyond anticipated delays... CAIPS/GCMS...increasingly considered to be the next to satisfactory evidences/accessible trust of notes to rest hopes on!! Salutes for keep doing all the good directives for the forum....

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
Qorax: Could you please tell us a little more about WHEN the best time is to order our notes? For example, is there anything written in them before the app goes into processing at the VO? Would someone who gets NER benefit from ordering them? Thanks +

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Pippin said:
Qorax: Could you please tell us a little more about WHEN the best time is to order our notes? For example, is there anything written in them before the app goes into processing at the VO? Would someone who gets NER benefit from ordering them? Thanks +
Ma'am,

It's unlikely that anything would be logged into our CAIPS prior to RBVO. 'Coz, all [useful] notes will be based on the VO's work.

Qorax

smiling_face

Champion Member
Apr 20, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 2012
LANDED..........
Landed
Good>>better>>best!!!

You are the BEST of the BESTS, Qorax!!!

Simply awesome......many many thanks for sharing such a good resource with us.

smiling_face :)

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
smiling_face said:
Good>>better>>best!!!

You are the BEST of the BESTS, Qorax!!!

Simply awesome......many many thanks for sharing such a good resource for us.

smiling_face :)
Thanx Bro !

Chami

Mar 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
WOW you've read my mind..! I've started to think to get my caips notes and here - the whole process became so simple...

You are an amazing person qorax, God bless you!

sushilmuna

Star Member
Jul 10, 2009
Nepal
Category........
Visa Office......
Seoul, South Korea
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2009
Doc's Request.
10-02-2010
Nomination.....
not yet
IELTS Request
09-09-2010
File Transfer...
18-02-2010
Med's Request
waiting
Interview........
don't know
Passport Req..
waiting
LANDED..........
waiting
qorax said:
How to Order CAIPS Notes?

Note:
It is still CAIPS... not yet merged with GCMS.

Our CAIPS can be ordered thru either of the following three [3] methods:
1. By our Consultant [if u have one] --usually a Free service provided by the good ones, or charge $5
2. Thru a Friend/Relative [who's in Canada] --s/he can obtain it under your authorization. Fees $5
3. From Websites [offering CAIPS Service] --discussed below. Costs $30-40.

How to fetch the CAIPS thru friend/relative [in Canada] ?

Under the Privacy Act, one of our friends/relatives, who reside in Canada, can order the CAIPS under our authorization. There is a CIC fee of only $5 to be incurred for that purpose. Here's what we should do:

1. Download the form here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5563B.pdf
2. Fill the specified colums/fields, viz:
- a) Visa post [ND, Buffalo, London etc.]
- b) Your File number [Bxxxxxxx]
- c) Date of Birth [applicant's, not the rep's]
- d) The requester's Postal address [Canadian Address only]

3. Tick the box "for CAIPS Notes request" on the form.
4. Enclose copies of the rep's [not yours] PR Card/visa/COPR etc. [Canadian ID].
5. Attach the Consent Form [signed by each applicant for "use of a representative"].
6. Enclose a Money Order/Draft for $5.
7. Send (Mail or Courier 'only') all the documents to:
Citizenship and Immigration Canada
(Access to Information and Privacy Coordinator)
Narono Building 360 Laurier Avenue West, 10th Floor
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 1L1
Tel.: (613) 957-6512

8. Your CAIPS Notes should return by 4-6 weeks [usually].

Obtaining our CAIPS thru the websites:

There r many websites who offer such services, usually charging anything between $30-40. However, in that 'basic' price they'd only send u the retrieved CAIPS Notes; and would charge u furthermore for explaining them. Nonetheless, it's not a bad idea to yet take their services. Most applicants use either of the following websites for obtaining their CAIPS:

a) http://www.caips.ca/
b) http://caipsnotes.com/index.shtml
c) http://www.caipsretriever.com/2006/03/immigrants-life-in-toronto-canada-ii.html

When will my CAIPS arrive?
As our request application reaches CIC, they'd take a week+ to retrieve it. Despatching takes another week+. While the postal duration could again be one more week. Oh yes, it is send by CIC thru regular postal mail. Thus, overall we r looking at 4-6 weeks to receive our CAIPS notes.

When I'm reading my CAIPS, is it "current" information?
No. As there's a gap between the CAIPS printing [by CIC] & receiving [by us], we would be getting the picture around 3-4 weeks back dated. Things might change in between... some BF'Ds gone by, some addnl Codes logged.

When should I obtain my CAIPS?
It's only required when things have gone overboard... when there's much delay in case progress.... or when we have received an interview letter. Our CAIPS could elicit some info on the perception of our VO/s towards our case... why an interview was required... What stage we r currently in... points calc... when would be the next review date.... next BF'D etc. Thus, we could fetch our CAIPS "after" 8-12 months of case processing.

When should I obtain "another" set of my CAIPS?
It's unwise to frequently apply for our CAIPS notes. Anything between 6-8 months is Ok... 'coz before that nothing much would have been logged on it anyway.

How do I "read" my CAIPS?
Most of the info on our CAIPS r 'coded'. Member FinPro graciously have deliberated on these codes during his 6th Oct 2006 post in this very forum. Pls read it here: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/caips-codes-t2988.0.html

NOTE:
As we 'land' our case logging continues by CIC/CBSA - but thereon it's recorded in "FOSS".

Hope that helped!
Qorax
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

CAIPS:
CAIPS is short for "Computer Assisted Immigration Processing System". It is the computer system historically used by CIC to process visa applications, and holds all the information on the current status of every immigration application being processed by overseas offices (ie. those outside of Canada), other than new applications at offices which have switched to using the "GCMS" system.

FOSS:
FOSS is short for "Field Operations Support System". It is the computer system historically used by CIC offices in Canada to track all immigration-related information of "in-Canada" applicants - as well as continue to do so for all applicants post 'landing'. The FOSS database is a central repository of information on all persons who have been, may be or are wanted to be seen by Immigration staff. FOSS comprises numerous components including query functions, status entry, docs creation, refugee monitoring, medical profiles, client name and address, airport inspection, access & security, and records maintenance. All Immigration staff that work with the public and the staff that support these officers use FOSS. It is also used by Canadian consulates in various locations in the United States. And like the CAIPS system -it is being superceded by GCMS as well.

GCMS:
GCMS is short for "Global Case Management System", and is the newer computer system that CIC is rolling out across their offices around the globe. Once fully incorporated it would supersede CAIPS & FOSS; and manage all info under one umbrella - Mother of All. It's still under implementation in many overseas CHCs. And expected to be fully operational by 2012.
Thank you very much for exploring such useful information dear captain Qorax.