+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

how to find work as a counselling psychology graduate and how to get certified as a counsellor in CA

Urgonnabeokme

Sep 20, 2020
Hello, I am interested in studying master's program in counseling psychology or something related. However, I have some concerns regarding the possibility of becoming a counselor upon graduation. I have some questions regarding the requirements to be a certified counselor in Canada and I would be glad if you can answer them.

2) There are 8 courses one must take during the graduate program in order to get certified by CCPA, these courses are outlined in the certification guide. The courses are as follows: 1) Counselling Theories 2) Counselling and Communication Skills 3)Professional Ethics 4)Supervised Counselling Practicum 5) four elective courses which meet CCPA’s coursework areas. Does every counselling program provide these courses? (detailed coursework areas and descriptions are in appendix 3 pages (29-31) certification guide
2) Can I do direct client counseling hours before graduating? If not would the institution help to find a place to do direct client counseling upon graduation?
3) In order to work as a counselor in Canada (mental health, family, or addictions) should I get certified by CCPA?
4) Having 150 hours of direct client, counseling hours is a requirement just to apply for certification from CCPA but how can I obtain DCC hours if I'm a new graduate? How many months generally would it take to complete it?
5)would it take me at least 1 year to get certified? whats the duration of receiving your approval?

Thanks