+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to fill in my tax obligations for 2019 (first time / new comer)

usthb

Star Member
Sep 18, 2017
Hello,

I landed in Canada in jan 2018 as PR, stayed in Canada (BC) for 5 months or so. By nov 2018 I moved outside Canada and I am now residing abroad to take care of parents being sick (in country of origin that have mutual tax agreement with Canada). I also plan to return to Canada by end of 2019.

Since I landed in Canada I have not received income (no salary, no benefits whatsoever from anywhere in the world) ; I have a spouse and a little baby.

I have a driving license in BC province and also bank / credit card account there, thus I am deemed as tax resident for 2018 if I am correct ; I understand I have to fill for taxes by 30 april 2019. But I am lost and I don't know where to start. I am reading the pamphlet, tax for newcomers. But if I look at the tax website (of BC province) there are plenty of forms and schedules/ attachments, that I got now really lost.

Can someone please points me to the correct form(s) that I have to fill and that I have to send back to CRA? I am willing to do so by mail.

Thanks in advance for your understanding.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi my wife and child are abroad of Canada (that is to say, they are with me)
You said you stayed in Canada for 5 months or so. It is important to know whether you stayed for 6 months or more.

Assume you have also cancelled CCB as soon as you and you child left Canada or the child left on their own. You also need to notify MSP (your provincial health care) that you are out of the country.

Was your son born in Canada?

usthb

Star Member
Sep 18, 2017
By the way, just in case it happens that my filling for taxes occurs after 30 april (say a week or so).

First is this doable, to fill with some slight delay?
I understand that I will face penalities. Any other consequences one would expect?

I am sure I will match the 30 April but just for my information.

usthb

Star Member
Sep 18, 2017
@canuck78,

I stayed for 5 months and 1 extra week to be more precise. My wife and child stayed 4 month.
I did not claim for child benefit, so there was no need to cancel that one.
The MSP was notified and they cancelled the healthcare plan for the family, so this one was all sorted.
My child was not born in Canada, all our family moved as new PR from abroad to Canada as new migrants.

While I am abroad, the only one I am stuck with now is the tax filling as I want to keep all things in good order in Canada. But again, I am really confused by all the forms. I have at least identified that we do need to fill for taxes based on our ties to Canada in 2018, more exactly secondary ties (like driving license; credit card etc). ; I continue to read through the info and links received.

I would have travelled to Canada to sort things out, but the health condition of my parents is a big constraint for me at this moment. So I try to solve things online as much as I can

What would you advise to fast track this problem? contact a tax consultant?

Other question ...is it mandatory for first filling (new comer) to send the forms by mail? can I use some software instead (e.g. turbotax website)?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
@canuck78,

I stayed for 5 months and 1 extra week to be more precise. My wife and child stayed 4 month.
I did not claim for child benefit, so there was no need to cancel that one.
The MSP was notified and they cancelled the healthcare plan for the family, so this one was all sorted.
My child was not born in Canada, all our family moved as new PR from abroad to Canada as new migrants.

While I am abroad, the only one I am stuck with now is the tax filling as I want to keep all things in good order in Canada. But again, I am really confused by all the forms. I have at least identified that we do need to fill for taxes based on our ties to Canada in 2018, more exactly secondary ties (like driving license; credit card etc). ; I continue to read through the info and links received.

I would have travelled to Canada to sort things out, but the health condition of my parents is a big constraint for me at this moment. So I try to solve things online as much as I can

What would you advise to fast track this problem? contact a tax consultant?

Other question ...is it mandatory for first filling (new comer) to send the forms by mail? can I use some software instead (e.g. turbotax website)?
Doesn’t seem like you are a resident for tax purposes. Would confirm with CRA but you don’t need to file for taxes.

usthb

Star Member
Sep 18, 2017
Regarding tax residency, I was told that having driving license and credit card makes sufficient ties to Canada for tax purposes.
I am trying to call CRA, it's been total 3 hours on hold now with retransfer from agent to agent. Not easy. I keep on trying.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Regarding tax residency, I was told that having driving license and credit card makes sufficient ties to Canada for tax purposes.
I am trying to call CRA, it's been total 3 hours on hold now with retransfer from agent to agent. Not easy. I keep on trying.
I would think that would be a stretch. Obviously it would be easier without the credit card but your ties are minimal so that’s why I would get CRA to confirm. Would try to call a different times of the day to see if you can reach someone. On a positive note you won’t owe taxes so you aren’t going to accumulate fines if you file a day late.

usthb

Star Member
Sep 18, 2017
In the meantime, I tried to find out how to proceed if I have to do things on my own.

1- FORMS: It seems I have fill the following forms / applicable to BC province (one filling for the complete family):
-> T1 form General
-> T1 form Federal Tax
-> Form-428
-> T4 Not Applicable (no income)

2- NETFILE: it seems it is not available for newcomers (need to have an account with CRA). The only available option is by mail.

Am I on the right track?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
A home in Canada or spouse/children in Canada are primary ties. A DL and CC are secondary ties; in and of themselves, they do not make you a resident for tax purposes.

Reactions: canuck78

usthb

Star Member
Sep 18, 2017
Thanks for the answer. I am still trying to reach CRA over the phone to confirm that. No luck.

What if I file for taxes while in fact - based on my situation - It turns out I am not required to do so ? I expect it should be no problem right ? should be the reverse that might be an issue ?

usthb

Star Member
Sep 18, 2017
Some update..

Called to CRA agent. They advised me to fill in as tax resident that is to cover the "max case" and that is by 30 april 2019.
In parallel, they provided me reference to a form I have to fill in and return to CRA so they will determine what my exact status is. After CRA will determine my status, they will either confirm that I am tax resident, in which case I will have already filed for tax for that so matter closed, or advise different status whatsoever in which case an adjustement can be done at later stage.

The problem I am faced with now is how to fill Federal Tax and Province Tax forms, because those are for "real" tax resident, that is to say those who normally have primary ties in Canada, etc. When I asked CRA they said they will need to transfer me to another agent.

My question if you could help out here, if I just fill the Federal tax and province tax with zero's everywhere and attach to the ,main T1, would that be okay?