+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How soon must I land in Canada after receiving a PR?

MapleVivi

Star Member
Jan 21, 2020
Hello,

I currently live outside of Canada and has just applied for my PR after receiving an ITA.

I am aware that it is said that if there is no problem, PR will be granted within 6 months to a year.

The question is, after the PR has granted, how soon am I required to land in Canada?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
I see, thank you.
Do you know how long it usually is?
It's usually the expiration date of your medical exams.

For example, if your application is approved in August and your medicals were done in January, you'll have around 4-5 months.
It really depends because sometimes people are requested new medicals or the duration of their medicals are extended before the application is complete.

It's hard to predict what will happen in your case.

Best advice is get your upfront medicals done as close to submitting your application as possible.

Reactions: MapleVivi

MapleVivi

Star Member
Jan 21, 2020
It's usually the expiration date of your medical exams.

For example, if your application is approved in August and your medicals were done in January, you'll have around 4-5 months.
It really depends because sometimes people are requested new medicals or the duration of their medicals are extended before the application is complete.

It's hard to predict what will happen in your case.

Best advice is get your upfront medicals done as close to submitting your application as possible.
If my job won't let me leave for Canada by the expiry date stated on the visa, will I lose my PR?

I know a medical result is good for a year only. My job I'm starting soon is a year contract, so it's impossible for me to land with the exam result I just took....
It is my understanding that I'm going to have to take it again, if I am able to finish this contract job and go to Canada after.

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
If my job won't let me leave for Canada by the expiry date stated on the visa, will I lose my PR?

I know a medical result is good for a year only. My job I'm starting soon is a year contract, so it's impossible for me to land with the exam result I just took....
It is my understanding that I'm going to have to take it again, if I am able to finish this contract job and go to Canada after.
You might have to take your medicals again, you don't know. It really depends how long your application will take to process.

You don't need to. It depends how far your are, but you could travel to Canada on a Saturday then headback on the next flight. Or just stay overnight and leave the next morning. You'd just need an address in Canada where to ship your PR card. You can have then it shipped overseas so that you can travel back to Canada. Alternatively, you can apply for a PRTD from overseas and use this document to come back in.

MapleVivi

Star Member
Jan 21, 2020
You might have to take your medicals again, you don't know. It really depends how long your application will take to process.

You don't need to. It depends how far your are, but you could travel to Canada on a Saturday then headback on the next flight. Or just stay overnight and leave the next morning. You'd just need an address in Canada where to ship your PR card. You can have then it shipped overseas so that you can travel back to Canada. Alternatively, you can apply for a PRTD from overseas and use this document to come back in.
Sorry, what's PRTD? Do you have a link? Thank you.