+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How much money should I take with me

jaffaral

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2014
Category........
Other
Hello I became PR in 2019 July and planning to go to Canada in feb 2022.
I want to to know how much money should I secure in my Canadian account if I assume that for 1.5-2 years I am not going to find job , I will live in one bedroom apartment, have my own internet , electricity, and phone and send at least 300 $ to my wife and son and every month. My province of destination is Edmonton Alberta. I don’t drink, don’t smoke, don’t gamble, and committed to remain monogamous.

50K is decent amount ?

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
One bedrooms in Edmonton start at about $850 monthly, then add $125 for utilities and $150–200 for food, so yeah, $50,000 should be enough for two years.

Reactions: Human Errer

cic86

Star Member
Feb 26, 2018
I want to to know how much money should I secure in my Canadian account if I assume that for 1.5-2 years I am not going to find job , I will live in one bedroom apartment, have my own internet , electricity, and phone and send at least 300 $ to my wife and son and every month. My province of destination is Edmonton Alberta. I don’t drink, don’t smoke, don’t gamble, and committed to remain monogamous.

50K is decent amount ?
Why not take a minimum wage job like Walmart or Uber? You'll easily get such jobs and they'll cover your living expenses till you find a job in your field?

Reactions: hyong1991

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

50K is decent amount ?
You will need internet and mobile so that may be 150-200. Is there a reason you are moving to Edmonton? It's unclear if you are trying not to work. If so, there are othef less expensive options. Are yoi not trying to hqve your family join you in Canada. If you are trying to find a job in your field I would not lock yourself into a lease in any city and apply throughout Canada. The Alberta economy was struggling even before covid. Edmonton is in better shape than Calgary

jaffaral

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2014
Category........
Other
You will need internet and mobile so that may be 150-200. Is there a reason you are moving to Edmonton? It's unclear if you are trying not to work. If so, there are othef less expensive options. Are yoi not trying to hqve your family join you in Canada. If you are trying to find a job in your field I would not lock yourself into a lease in any city and apply throughout Canada. The Alberta economy was struggling even before covid. Edmonton is in better shape than Calgary
Actually I was mentioning the worst case. I am planning to actually change my field of study. Alberta economy I guess is struggling since 2015 when the oil prices first crashed down and sure I won’t sit idle rather I will try to find any low paying jobs that can help me pay my expenses if not in full then at least to greater extent . Thanks dear for your valuable input!!