+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How much do I have to pay to process the application?

sniper09

Jun 29, 2009
CEC application requires family member’s information. So do I apply for all the family members for PR or do I have to wait until I get my PR and then sponsor my family? How much do I have to pay to process the application? Do I just pay for myself or for all the family members listed on the application?

My next question is critical, so I would give the details. I graduated last year, just before finishing my final exams; I was hired by a multinational company while they were recruiting graduates from school. I applied for post-grad work permit as soon as I received my final grades at the end of April. Considering the position in the company I did not want to miss that opportunity. So I notified the company HR that I applied for post grad work permit and should receive it in two- three weeks time (that was the expected time given on the website, I had also received my off-campus work permit in two weeks, even though that expired in April 2008 ). HR advised me to start the training and hand in the work permit as soon as I receive it. After consulting with the International Student Advisor in School, I started the training session some time in May and I was paid during that session. I kept calling immigration for application status; they said that they were doing some sort of racial/regional profiling. At last I received my permit at the end of July (almost 3 months later!!!)and turned it in to HR. I was hired as a permanent employee at the end of August. I have noticed that my friends (they are from different countries) who applied at the same time received their permit in two-three weeks.

Anyways, now my question is that if I am basically ‘screwed’ and no hope of getting PR?? I guess they will definitely look at my T4 slips and see I worked from May to July. Although I started in May, I was a trainee until August and I have to wait until this September to apply with one year experience.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

accreddy

Star Member
May 20, 2009
It is upto you, if you want you can apply for all the family members along with your application. In that case you have to pay for all the family members including yourself.

Did you have any valid work permit (or valid off-campus work permit) during the period (May - Jul, 2008)? If not, then you might face some problems as you worked (even training) without a valid permit. CIC clearly states that you should not work unless you have valid permit.

I am not sure how CIC will treat your case, I will let seniors respond to this question.

sniper09

Jun 29, 2009
Thank you very much for your reply accreddy.
No I did not have any off-campus work permit for May to July. It had expired in April 2008. So at that point I could not apply for off -campus work permit again. I had no intension to work illegally. Since it usually takes two to three weeks to receive the work permit, I was advised by the student advisor that I may start the training, and should receive it even before I get my first payment. anyways I don't think this will justify that I have worked illegally for 2 and half months and I should have waited until I received it.

I am just wondering if it would be wise if I wait until next April and apply then or I should stop thinking about applying for PR :(((((
Please advise.

accreddy

Star Member
May 20, 2009
I understand that you had no intention to work illegally.

You would have to take chances for PR. In the application you would have to mention about the period from May - Jul, 2008. If during the background checks CIC finds out that you worked illegally you will run into trouble.