+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long I can drive my Car with US Tag??

canadiann

Star Member
May 3, 2009
I arrived in Ontario and converted my US driving license to Canadian, got my car inspected from Canadian Tire too. was ready to get Ontario tag, but the insurance companies here, are not providing me insurance right away. According to them, it takes about 15 days to get it. Also, in the mean time, I need to get them driving history and insurance claim history. Anybody has idea about how long I can drive my Car with US insurance and US Title/Tag in Canada? For RIV inspection, it is 45 days, but I am not sure about for the Title/ Tag change. Please help me.
Also, please suggest me insurance co. that can provide me insurance right away.

I appreciate your help.

Canadiann

zap0ne

Jan 14, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
24-07-1998
canadiann said:
I arrived in Ontario and converted my US driving license to Canadian, got my car inspected from Canadian Tire too. was ready to get Ontario tag, but the insurance companies here, are not providing me insurance right away. According to them, it takes about 15 days to get it. Also, in the mean time, I need to get them driving history and insurance claim history. Anybody has idea about how long I can drive my Car with US insurance and US Title/Tag in Canada? For RIV inspection, it is 45 days, but I am not sure about for the Title/ Tag change. Please help me.
Also, please suggest me insurance co. that can provide me insurance right away.

I appreciate your help.

Canadiann
You will need to consult the MTO for your answers. I think that the link is mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/visiting.shtml to get to the right page.

"New Residents
If you are a new resident in Ontario and have a valid driver's licence from another province, state or country, you can use it for up to 60 days after you move to Ontario. If you want to keep driving in Ontario, you must get an Ontario driver's licence. You must use your Ontario licence when you are issued one. New Ontario residents have 30 days before they have to register their vehicles and get Ontario licence plates and vehicle permit. Click here for more information on Getting an Ontario Driver's Licence or Licensing a Vehicle in Ontario. "

You should call around some insurance brokers to see what they can do.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
The answers to a lot of the questions people post with exclamation marks are probably readily available on the internet or through one simple phone call to the local agency in question. In Manitoba, you have 3 months to register your car after you establish residence. You need to keep your vehicle registered and insured in your previous jurisdiction during that time.

kumbu.bumbu

Jan 13, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-06-2014
It is one month in Ontario. They relax it a bit due to drive test unrest. Because of unrest you cannot get Ontario licence. without Ontario license no Canadian Insurance. Without Insurance no registration.
I registered after 2.5 months.
But since Jan unrest was over, so things could be different. But as previous poster said a simple phone call to service ontario or registry will give all answers.