+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How do I concurrently submit citizenship and passport application?

phaeo

Apr 27, 2017
Hello all. Apologies if this isn't all that clear an explanation, but I’m at the stage of pulling my hair out so hoping that people can help me out with this. I’m a dual citizen (UK/Canada) currently living in the US. I have to travel to Canada this July to work with some collaborators, but only have a UK passport. Because of the whole thing with introducing eTA, I need a Canadian passport to enter the country. Unfortunately, we seem to have lost my citizenship card (was with dad in England, but many moves over the years etc), so ALSO have to apply for a new certificate. There is a page on the CIC website about urgent processing (won't let me post link), and there’s a blue notice box on there that says the following:

"NOTICE – Effective until fall 2017
Dual Canadian citizens impacted by eTA can apply for a proof of citizenship urgently. To qualify, the Canadian citizen must:
• also be a citizen of another visa-exempt country,
• have proof of air travel to Canada within 6 months following the date of application, and
• have submitted concurrently a complete Proof of Canadian citizenship and Canadian passport application."

I qualify for this and have filled in both my citizenship application (declaring old one lost), and passport application and got all my documents/photos ready. But it’s not clear to me what “concurrently” actually entails. Do I send both applications to Case Processing in Sydney, NS? Or do I still have to send the passport application to passport services? If so, how do I let them know my proof of Canadian citizenship is currently processing? I’m at a loss here, and CIC does not have a number you can call if you’re outside of Canada (I’ve tried, won’t connect), and the passport helpline doesn't even seem to know this is on CIC's website (and I've called probably 5 times). Anyone have experience/knowledge of this? Thank you in advance to whoever can help!!!

cprak0

May 25, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
21-05-2011
phaeo said:
Hello all. Apologies if this isn't all that clear an explanation, but I’m at the stage of pulling my hair out so hoping that people can help me out with this. I’m a dual citizen (UK/Canada) currently living in the US. I have to travel to Canada this July to work with some collaborators, but only have a UK passport. Because of the whole thing with introducing eTA, I need a Canadian passport to enter the country. Unfortunately, we seem to have lost my citizenship card (was with dad in England, but many moves over the years etc), so ALSO have to apply for a new certificate. There is a page on the CIC website about urgent processing (won't let me post link), and there’s a blue notice box on there that says the following:

"NOTICE – Effective until fall 2017
Dual Canadian citizens impacted by eTA can apply for a proof of citizenship urgently. To qualify, the Canadian citizen must:
• also be a citizen of another visa-exempt country,
• have proof of air travel to Canada within 6 months following the date of application, and
• have submitted concurrently a complete Proof of Canadian citizenship and Canadian passport application."

I qualify for this and have filled in both my citizenship application (declaring old one lost), and passport application and got all my documents/photos ready. But it’s not clear to me what “concurrently” actually entails. Do I send both applications to Case Processing in Sydney, NS? Or do I still have to send the passport application to passport services? If so, how do I let them know my proof of Canadian citizenship is currently processing? I’m at a loss here, and CIC does not have a number you can call if you’re outside of Canada (I’ve tried, won’t connect), and the passport helpline doesn't even seem to know this is on CIC's website (and I've called probably 5 times). Anyone have experience/knowledge of this? Thank you in advance to whoever can help!!!
Easy one first. Get a magicjack number to get a Canadian number and call the IRCC...
Don't have a personal experience but I would think you would still send each of the application to the respective agencies.
They have a way to know whether you have indeed filed in application concurrently. You can get the same info as well using ATIP.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Unfortunately, Passports are processed in Gatineau (in an office that belonged to "Passport Canada" which was recently merged into IRCC) whereas proof of citizenship is processed in Sydney, NS.

As someone else pointed out, ideally you would call IRCC and they can tell you what to do. There is a decent chance though that you will reach an agent who has no clue about these kinds of special cases.

If you are not able to get any information, I think the most reasonable thing to do is to fill out both applications. Then add a short and precise cover letter (try to keep it short so that they don't have to read like ten paragraphs to know what you want) explaining that as suggested on the IRCC website you concurrently apply for both proof and passport and that as soon as you receive proof of citizenship you will send it to the passport office. Then make a copy of the applications and send:

- The original proof of citizenship application and a copy of the passport application to Sydney, NS
- The original of the passport application and a copy of the proof of citizenship application to Gatineau
- Add the cover letter to both of them and make sure you follow the guidelines (e.g. writing "urgent" on the envelope)

Disclaimer: I have never done this myself. This is merely my interpretation of the situation based on how I (so far successfully) decipher instructions on the IRCC website. Hopefully someone else who is in the same situation as you has more/better advice.

phaeo

Apr 27, 2017
Thank you both for taking the time to respond. I think that I will probably just post the two applications to their respective offices, and include a cover letter in both (I have to have a cover letter for the citizenship one anyway to get it urgently processed) explaining the situation. I can't book my flights till Monday anyway, so I'll use those few days to try and get more info if I can, but based on my current experience I'm not hopeful haha. Hopefully someone with who has had some experience with this can weigh in before then! But otherwise I think you guys have outlined my best bet.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
phaeo said:
Thank you both for taking the time to respond. I think that I will probably just post the two applications to their respective offices, and include a cover letter in both (I have to have a cover letter for the citizenship one anyway to get it urgently processed) explaining the situation. I can't book my flights till Monday anyway, so I'll use those few days to try and get more info if I can, but based on my current experience I'm not hopeful haha. Hopefully someone with who has had some experience with this can weigh in before then! But otherwise I think you guys have outlined my best bet.
Good luck! :)

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Since you're overseas, you would apply at the nearest Canadian Consulate or Embassy that offers citizen/passport services.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
canvis2006 said:
Since you're overseas, you would apply at the nearest Canadian Consulate or Embassy that offers citizen/passport services.
No, the OP is living in the United States. Passport Applications for US residents are handled at the same office as (mailed in) Passport Applications from within Canada.

See here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/passport/apply/new/apply-how.asp

phaeo

Apr 27, 2017
Well, I found out that IRCC has a Twitter account, and tweeted them my problem! This morning they got back to me, I'll copy and paste their response for the benefit of anyone else who might be in my position:

"Hi there. Since you are applying from the US, you can send your application for a citizenship certificate to the processing centre in Sydney, Nova Scotia with your proof of air travel to Canada in the next six months. Be sure to include confirmation that you’ll be in Canada for work, and a letter explaining why you require urgent processing, along with any other required documents. Don’t forget to write Urgent – Citizenship Certificate (Proof) on the outside of the envelope. Once you receive your citizenship certificate, send your passport application, including a copy of your citizenship certificate at the nearest Canadian mission in the US or by mail, if time permits. To apply concurrently means to apply at the same time, but it will be faster to do them separately in this case."

So I guess the info on CIC's website is wrong or out of date. Sending my citizenship application asap, thanks for your help guys!