+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Home Child Care Provider -requirements

piscean5

Star Member
Nov 11, 2009
HI All.
I am planning to file an application for my sister under this program to take care of 2 kids-6 & 4. Few Questions

1. As a blood relative, any issues in me being the employer?
2. She has WES equivalency and IELTS (5 band)- What is the minimum requirement for IELTS?
3. She has 22 years of experience of teacher in government school (ongoing) plus she has 1.5 years of part time experience with a day care. --Is that good enough OR What are the minimum experience requirements?
4. She is married with 1 kid of 13 years ---Does that become a factor in her being a caregiver for my children?
5. What are the salary requirements - for inhouse or out of house stay? How much employer has to show in yearly salary to be able to pay salary?
6. What should be the duration of contract?
7. Job bank advertising required or not for this program?

Thanks in advance

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Have you set up your business registration number with CRA. This is so you can set up payroll, deduct taxes etc.

1. yes very much so. Since it is your sister, your application will be heavily scrutinized. VOs will wonder why your kids can’t go into daycare or after school programs. Why do your kids needs full time help if the kids are at school.
2. all information is on the website about IELTS.
3. On the website but she should be demonstrating 2 years of full time experience with responsibilities that match the NOC of caregiver. 1.5 years part time is not a lot of experience.
4. No
5. You have to offer a median salary for your regiion including vacation pay, sick leave, benefits etc. You have to show you can afford a full time, permanent caregiver.
https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/foreign-workers/caregiver/working-conditions.html
6. It is permanent full time so given that it will take years to process, and they get a work permit and need at least 2 years Canadian work experience, look at it long term.
7. you should be able to show that it is a genuine job offer and justify why you need to hire your sister.

piscean5

Star Member
Nov 11, 2009
Thanks Naturgrl for the reply

Yes, I do have a small business account which I can use for payroll (annual income >250k)

1. My justification is that my kids are small (1 will be in KG or not even going to school due to covid as KG is not mandatory for 1st grade where I live). and as we both parents are full time workers with a small business to run, they need help (non-education)

3. 2 years part time is at a daycare facility, along with that she teaches at school. Before 2 years there is part time experience available but at somebody's home, not daycare

7. Can you advise on the steps immigration department recommends for a genuine job offer?

Thanks

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks Naturgrl for the reply

Yes, I do have a small business account which I can use for payroll (annual income >250k)

1. My justification is that my kids are small (1 will be in KG or not even going to school due to covid as KG is not mandatory for 1st grade where I live). and as we both parents are full time workers with a small business to run, they need help (non-education)

3. 2 years part time is at a daycare facility, along with that she teaches at school. Before 2 years there is part time experience available but at somebody's home, not daycare

7. Can you advise on the steps immigration department recommends for a genuine job offer?

Thanks
Your sister can look at the Homecare Pilot program (people from 2018-19) but processing is long (years ) so Covid is not a reason. You can look at hiring as a temporary foreign worker but will need a LMiA and show that you posted the position and no one applied or could be found.

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/foreign-workers/caregiver.html