+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Holding VJO & CSQ filed but Employer is releasing from the job (Covid19)

chandan1225

Jul 8, 2020
I have a validated job offer since Dec2018 but because of mandate French language confusion I have not applied. After I have gone thru different links and realized that it is not mandatory then I applied on 25Nov2020 ( very late :-( ). Now I have a situation, I have been asked to leave because of covid as they don't have budget. I checked with my employer and asked them to provide some time as my daughter school is in middle and I also agreed to work on less, on which it seems like he agreed ( will come to know finally on monday). I also asked him to put me on temp lay off so that my LMIA & CAQ will be valid and my daughter's full year will be saved.

My priority is to get the job back even on less package so that I can secure my daughter's full year as well as CSQ application. At the same time my wife is also trying as she lost her job in the very beginning of covid and did not get one as I have wp renewal issue. I also checked with CIC and they said I can apply for open permit as I have valid 2 year work permit as of now.

1- I calculated my points in grid and score is 74 (minimum required 59). I want to know how long it takes to get CSQ invite thru Aarima (eagerly waiting) ?
2- Is it necessary to work with same employer after getting CSQ call?
3- Can me and my wife both hold open WP?
4- If I get temp lay off and go on CERB program then will it effect my CSQ profile?

Kindly assist.

Last edited:

Lazymon82

Jan 9, 2020
Toronto
Category........
CEC
I have a validated job offer since Dec2018 but because of mandate French language confusion I have not applied. After I have gone thru different links and realized that it is not mandatory then I applied on 25Nov2020 ( very late :-( ). Now I have a situation, I have been asked to leave because of covid as they don't have budget. I checked with my employer and asked them to provide some time as my daughter school is in middle and I also agreed to work on less, on which it seems like he agreed ( will come to know finally on monday). I also asked him to put me on temp lay off so that my LMIA & CAQ will be valid and my daughter's full year will be saved.

My priority is to get the job back even on less package so that I can secure my daughter's full year as well as CSQ application. At the same time my wife is also trying as she lost her job in the very beginning of covid and did not get one as I have wp renewal issue. I also checked with CIC and they said I can apply for open permit as I have valid 2 year work permit as of now.

1- I calculated my points in grid and score is 74 (minimum required 59). I want to know how long it takes to get CSQ invite thru Aarima (eagerly waiting) ?
4- If I get temp lay off and go on CERB program then will it effect my CSQ profile?

Kindly assist.
To the best of my knowledge...

74 is good score and you should get an invite in weeks time if you have VJO in hand at time of application. (VJO filed by employer is a must right now to get an invite, it might change in the coming draws)

Yes, you need to be with the same employer until you get CSQ because your invitation was based on the VJO provided by that employer. I'm not 100% sure but if you are lucky and can find another job (employer) who can upfront do an VJO for you, you can update your profile with new VJO and employment information i think (this might get you into trouble of reapplying as it new job profile altogether, MIFI could ask you to file a fresh application and wait for new invitation)

If your question was regarding spousal open work permit then it is pretty clear that spouse open work permits are issued based on either of your closed work permit that is valid at the time of applying. If you are a student who got an open work permit after your graduation in canada then until that is valid your spousal work permit is also valid.

I do not think so as you are still a employee of the current employer and whose VJO is still valid though you are on temp layoff assuming you will be hired back. God forbid If you are let go before your CSQ processing is done, you will have to update MIFI about your job and legal status at the time of permanent layoff.

Rest assured and fingers crossed if you do get an invitation in the coming days then be relieved that CSQs are being processes in 2-3 months time now as we saw couple of posts from lucky applicants on this and other threads. CANNOT gaurantee the the processing time as it all depends on multiples factors as per MIFI and also..........THE POSTS WE SEE ON THIS FORUM ARE NOTORIOUS FOR SPREADING MISINFORMATION.....IMO

Reactions: chandan1225

Lazymon82

Jan 9, 2020
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Regarding CERB program it ended in September 2020 and a new program called Recovery Benefits started since October 2020. The problem with it is that you can apply for recovery benefit only after the period for which you are applying has ended. Which in your case is when you find a new job (i pressume).

If you are on temp layoff and still an employee you can access Employment Insurance program for 6 months during which your work permit needs to be valid. Your wife could be eligible for CERB and EI if you had not already applied for it as you said she was working before COVID situation.

Canada provided a huge relief for temp workers stuck in canada with expired work permits. They can continue staying in canada until August hoping they can secure another job.

Accessing EI and Recovery benefits with expired work permits is a tough question with no concrete answer from me but lets hope others will have some answer.

chandan1225

Jul 8, 2020
To the best of my knowledge...

74 is good score and you should get an invite in weeks time if you have VJO in hand at time of application. (VJO filed by employer is a must right now to get an invite, it might change in the coming draws)

Yes, you need to be with the same employer until you get CSQ because your invitation was based on the VJO provided by that employer. I'm not 100% sure but if you are lucky and can find another job (employer) who can upfront do an VJO for you, you can update your profile with new VJO and employment information i think (this might get you into trouble of reapplying as it new job profile altogether, MIFI could ask you to file a fresh application and wait for new invitation)

If your question was regarding spousal open work permit then it is pretty clear that spouse open work permits are issued based on either of your closed work permit that is valid at the time of applying. If you are a student who got an open work permit after your graduation in canada then until that is valid your spousal work permit is also valid.

I do not think so as you are still a employee of the current employer and whose VJO is still valid though you are on temp layoff assuming you will be hired back. God forbid If you are let go before your CSQ processing is done, you will have to update MIFI about your job and legal status at the time of permanent layoff.

Rest assured and fingers crossed if you do get an invitation in the coming days then be relieved that CSQs are being processes in 2-3 months time now as we saw couple of posts from lucky applicants on this and other threads. CANNOT gaurantee the the processing time as it all depends on multiples factors as per MIFI and also..........THE POSTS WE SEE ON THIS FORUM ARE NOTORIOUS FOR SPREADING MISINFORMATION.....IMO

Thanks and really appreciate for your reply, I have applied for CSQ on 25th Nov20 and still waiting for the call. Also, I did not understand "(VJO filed by employer is a must right now to get an invite, it might change in the coming draws) "

I have a LMIA and CAQ with me that means it's validated. Do you mean that my employer has to file CSQ for me? I am really afraid, if apart from VJO, is there any role of employer in this process?

Also, just by chance do you have any idea about, how long it will take to get the CSQ after i submit my documentation. I have gone thru few threads and seems like as soon as I submit documents then with in a week, I will get the CSQ. Some one also mentioned about some 'value test' he has given after CSQ call. Do you have any idea about that?

Thanks.

Lazymon82

Jan 9, 2020
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Thanks and really appreciate for your reply, I have applied for CSQ on 25th Nov20 and still waiting for the call. Also, I did not understand "(VJO filed by employer is a must right now to get an invite, it might change in the coming draws) "

I have a LMIA and CAQ with me that means it's validated. Do you mean that my employer has to file CSQ for me? I am really afraid, if apart from VJO, is there any role of employer in this process?

Also, just by chance do you have any idea about, how long it will take to get the CSQ after i submit my documentation. I have gone thru few threads and seems like as soon as I submit documents then with in a week, I will get the CSQ. Some one also mentioned about some 'value test' he has given after CSQ call. Do you have any idea about that?

Thanks.
VJO (Verified Job Offer) is a seperate document that needs to be filed by the employer with MIFI which confirms you are a permanent employee (not always, as some employers are applying for this document even when the employee is on temporary contract)

Check with your HR if they can file a VJO for you. When you fill your arrima profile it must've asked for a VJO number. Not sure what you entered there. It is not CAQ or WP number. Which could also be the reason for the delay for invitation through Arrima.

CSQ processing times are application specific. For some it took couple of months and for me it took almoat a year. I'm a July 2019 applicant and received it in May 2020.

chandan1225

Jul 8, 2020
VJO (Verified Job Offer) is a seperate document that needs to be filed by the employer with MIFI which confirms you are a permanent employee (not always, as some employers are applying for this document even when the employee is on temporary contract)

Check with your HR if they can file a VJO for you. When you fill your arrima profile it must've asked for a VJO number. Not sure what you entered there. It is not CAQ or WP number. Which could also be the reason for the delay for invitation through Arrima.

CSQ processing times are application specific. For some it took couple of months and for me it took almoat a year. I'm a July 2019 applicant and received it in May 2020.
I checked on customer care as well as with one of my friend who applied using VJO and he told me that the number which I entered "N* REF. IND.:" is the one he specified in his file. This number i found on my CAQ document.

I am not sure whether I should call it CAQ number or Ref number.

Lazymon82

Jan 9, 2020
Toronto
Category........
CEC
I checked on customer care as well as with one of my friend who applied using VJO and he told me that the number which I entered "N* REF. IND.:" is the one he specified in his file. This number i found on my CAQ document.

I am not sure whether I should call it CAQ number or Ref number.
It is not CAQ. Your employer will apply for VJO using this form...

https://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/fr/formulaires/formulaire-titre/validation-emploi-permanent.html

How to apply -

https://www.canadim.com/blog/how-to-get-validated-job-offer-quebec-immigration/