+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

help!

boujasim

Nov 12, 2008
hello all, iam a syrian citizen living in lebanon,infact my mother is lebanese,and i lived 15 years in leb and before i was in the gulf,i never lived in syria. iam married to a canadian\lebanese,and we just sent our sponsorship on 17-10-08 and still waiting for the approval from ontario.

i have a few questions that are really worrying me:

1- i did not serve in the syrian obligatory army service, iam actually requested to but i never did go because its very insulting,they treat u like an animal and its for 2 full years which is silly,my question here is : can the fact that iam requested to the army-service be the reason to refuse my PR application?? or even delay it??

2-my wife is a christian and iam a muslim,we got married without the approval of her family,but my family are fully aware of the marriage and they aprove it totally plus we could not do a ceremony because of the problem with her family,could this fact result in any refusal,delay or any sort of problems for us??

3-i have extra photos,phone bills,email and other documents i would like to send,can i send them when my application reaches the damascus office?

thanks in advance i really appreciate any help.

RPM

Star Member
Oct 2, 2008
Hi,
I am not sure about question 1.

2. I know another couple from my country (India) who were in some what same situation like you ( theirs was an inter-religion marriage 'without' approval from 'either' of the families) and still managed to get the PR. Of course they have clearly explained in detail why they could not marry in presense lot of friends and family. They had a marriage certificate and reference letters from the witness though.

3. Not sure about your case, but when we were submitting our application we submitted all the evidence (photos, mails etc) along with the initial submission. We didnt wait for the application to reach India. Maybe you are asking something else? Not sure if this answered your question.

NewYorker

Nov 4, 2008
boujasim said:
hello all, iam a syrian citizen living in lebanon,infact my mother is lebanese,and i lived 15 years in leb and before i was in the gulf,i never lived in syria. iam married to a canadian\lebanese,and we just sent our sponsorship on 17-10-08 and still waiting for the approval from ontario.

i have a few questions that are really worrying me:

1- i did not serve in the syrian obligatory army service, iam actually requested to but i never did go because its very insulting,they treat u like an animal and its for 2 full years which is silly,my question here is : can the fact that iam requested to the army-service be the reason to refuse my PR application?? or even delay it??

2-my wife is a christian and iam a muslim,we got married without the approval of her family,but my family are fully aware of the marriage and they aprove it totally plus we could not do a ceremony because of the problem with her family,could this fact result in any refusal,delay or any sort of problems for us??

3-i have extra photos,phone bills,email and other documents i would like to send,can i send them when my application reaches the damascus office?

thanks in advance i really appreciate any help.
It is good that you didn't serve in the army, you may have to be little bit concerned that when they ask you the police clearance report, then Syrian police don't pose any problems for you as you never serve the army.

If you are married to the Canadian and if either of your family is happy or not they (CIC) really don't care, the marriage needs to be genuine and legal. As long as the husband and wife are together and they are at the legal age of marriage AND legally married then it should be fine.

Send all the evidence if they asked you, or whatever is required, if you have a legal marriage certificate then notarize it and have translation done in English and send it to them - Also if you lived in any gulf country, get ready to get the police report from that country as well if you lived there for one or more than a year.

I am not a lawyer or a legal advise expert, please use common sense.

boujasim

Nov 12, 2008
thanks alot for the reply.

listen,my problem to be honest began when i started to read from this forum,about how some people got rejected for a stupid reason,i also read that article on cbc.ca about that pakistani who was rejected because of the diff in culture...so it all got me worried coz i honestly cant keep my wife waiting in canada.

concerning the police records from syria, i never lived in syria, i visted a few times when i was under 16,do u think they will still ask for a police record?? also,not serving in the army is not a crime,i cant be put into jail or anything they only drag me to the army to serve for 2 years,and for every month i was in default iam requaired to pay 120$,but iam sure it is not a crime.

NewYorker

Nov 4, 2008
Look it is simple, if the marriage is real, there are no problems and if it is not, they can ask pictures and all family formalities, they are not checking that if your family and the wife's family were happy with this marriage or not, all they are doing is verifying the marriage.

The Pakistani guy you are talking about must have lied somewhere in the application and they found out and get suspicious and start to investigate the marriage. Many people did this in the past that marry to a Canadian and get separated in Canada when they got the PR, therefore they became strict and investigate a little furhter.

About the Police report in Syria, yes you do need it no matter what, also you need police report from other countries you lived in while you was 18 years or aboive for more then six months or above.

Check here;
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/index.asp

I was not saying that serving Army is a crime, I was trying to say that it is good that you didn't serve, things may be easier for you.

boujasim

Nov 12, 2008
ummm, ill try to get the police record from syria before they ask it from the visa office.

btw why is it a good thing that i did not serve in the syrian army? plus my service is not postpond, iam wanted.

one more thing, is it possible that they refuse an application if they doubt the relation without even asking for an interview?

thanks alot mate,youre very helpfull

NewYorker

Nov 4, 2008
boujasim said:
ummm, ill try to get the police record from syria before they ask it from the visa office.

btw why is it a good thing that i did not serve in the syrian army? plus my service is not postpond, iam wanted.

one more thing, is it possible that they refuse an application if they doubt the relation without even asking for an interview?

thanks alot mate,youre very helpfull
Get the Police report for every country you lived for 6 or more months while you were 18 years old, it will be required. Also, in my perception as I am not a government official or a visa officer, not serving in Syrian Army is more good then serving, if you served, then the question may arise that where you was posted and what you did during in the Army and you may be required to get a no objection letter from the army, I don't know I am just guessing.

If your claims are solid, and you are legally married with a Canadian and your security clearance are OK, then there is no reason to think that you will be refused entry.