+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

help please!! I have only one question!

manu_pena

Jun 27, 2011
Hello, this is my 1st post, so let me start by introducing myself. My name's Manuel and I want to go to school in Toronto but the tuition fee doubles for international students. My "situation" is that as child I legally lived in Canada for 4 years and just a few months away from the government granting us our Canadian citizenship's the civil war afflicting my home country ended and my parents decided to go back ASAP! I was only 10 at the moment so it was completely out of my hands. So here comes my question/doubt: is there any type of "program" or anything of the sort that I would have access to, or is there an immigration process of the many options that the Canadian government offers that would apply to my situation? Please keep in mind that I do not seek a citizenship or financial aid, just for some financial relief. I'm asking for some guidance for the best option from someone that knows about these matters.

thank you.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are saying that you were a permanent resident as a child? How old are you now?

It is possible for a PR child who has lost its PR to appeal their PR status based on their parents having removed them from Canada through no fault of their own. Ask the Canadian embassy where you are about applying for a travel document based on this. It would allow you to go to Canada as a PR and apply for your PR card and therefore re-gain your PR status.

manu_pena

Jun 27, 2011
You are saying that you were a permanent resident as a child? How old are you now?

It is possible for a PR child who has lost its PR to appeal their PR status based on their parents having removed them from Canada through no fault of their own. Ask the Canadian embassy where you are about applying for a travel document based on this. It would allow you to go to Canada as a PR and apply for your PR card and therefore re-gain your PR status.

- Thank you so much for answering, and yes back then it was called "landed-immigrant" now referred to as permanent resident. So yes, I was a permanent resident. I'm 28 years old at the moment. So that being said can you explain a bit better your knowledge in this matter.? Thank you so much.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can read the operational manual for PR residency determination at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op10-eng.pdf Look at page 23 where it says:

14.1. Examples of factors to weigh and consider
The extent of the non-compliance:
• How long beyond three years in the last five-year period was the person outside of Canada?
• Was the person employed outside Canada by other than a "Canadian business" as
described in the Regulations? If so, why and for what length of time?
• Was the person outside of Canada for more than three years in the last five-year period
because of a medical condition or the medical condition of a close family member?
• Could alternative arrangements have been made or was it the applicant’s choice to remain
outside Canada?
Circumstances beyond the person’s control:
• Are the circumstances that led to the person’s remaining outside of Canada compelling and
beyond their control?
• Was the person prevented from returning to Canada? Why? By whom or by what event?
• Are they now returning to Canada at the earliest possible opportunity?
• Did the person leave Canada as a child accompanying a parent?
• Are they now over 22 years of age and are returning at the earliest opportunity since
becoming 22 years of age?

• Is the person over 22 years of age dependent on the parent they are accompanying because
of a mental or physical disability?
So ok, you are still young but I don't know if they would consider that you are returning to Canada at the "earliest possible opportunity". It depends on what you have been doing for the last few years. You should definitely try to appeal for your PR. You have nothing to lose.

You can find the form to apply for a PR travel document here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/English/information/applications/travel.asp

manu_pena

Jun 27, 2011
Thank you so much for your help! I cant believe that this is the 1st time finding out about an appeal. Trust me that if I would have known about this I would have done it when I turned 18. Ignorance is my only sin in this matter. I wonder if I have shot ? ... I'm fully bilingual in Spanish and English, no criminal records, single, great health, no debt etc. Would you advise me to hire someone ( lawyer ) to assist me, would it make any difference if someone fills out the application for me? I'm well educated and have no problem filling out the form myself but sometime's bending the truth a little, actually improves your chances and you have no idea how this would change my life, so I really don't want to screw this up in any way,shape or form. So I don't mind hiring a lawyer to improve my chances. I've notice that the application is basically me asking them to allow me to re-gain my status not based on any type of educational or financial proof. So its a story that I have to put together and hope that the person who reviews it, likes it or believes it. So thanks for any tips.

Manuel

thank you.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't know if a lawyer is necessary but if you want one, you can try the one who runs this website :)