+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help needed regarding PGWP (part time in last 3 semesters)

S.A.7

Star Member
Feb 28, 2012
Hi everyone. I know this issue has been discussed here in the past but i feel that my situation is a bit different so here i am looking for advice. So a little background. I have had to change 3 universities since i came to Canada in 2012. So i first came to a College called FIC and enrolled in a university transfer program. It is a transfer college located at SFU campus in Burnaby, British Columbia. After 2 years at FIC, i finally transferred to SFU in BA Economics program. After a couple of terms at SFU, i realized that i wanted to get into Accounting so I moved to another university after Fall 2015 (December) term at SFU and enrolled in 2 years Accounting Diploma. But since the international admissions take a while, i had to take Winter 2016 (January) semester off because i did not get the admission in time. Moving on, i completed my diploma just after 2 terms and graduated in Fall 2015 since i transferred most of my courses from FIC. At this point, I could have applied for a post graduate work permit but after consulting friends and family i decided to complete full Bachelors degree and moved to another university since it was cheaper. Again, this time i could not make the deadline and had to take Winter 2016 (January) semester off. During my time at this new university, there was this one course that i could not pass after 2 attempts and the problem is that it is a pre requisite for 2 more required courses that i have to take. Since i completed all of the other courses, i had to be a part time student in my previous term Fall 2018 (December) and was enrolled in 7.5 credits. Currently i am enrolled in only one course at my previous university (course that i failed twice) because i could not take it at my current university because there is a limit of two attempts. Thank you so much for reading this. I'm almost done. Anyways, next semester Summer 2019 would be my last semester and i will take my remaining 2 courses after i transfer this prerequisite course to my current university.

(1) My question is that have i messed up my chances of getting a pgwp because i will have my last 3 terms as part time and taking 2 winter semesters off earlier in 2015 and 2016 even though i have a valid reasons for it.
(2) Would applying online or flagpole be better in my case. I am more inclined towards flagpoling since at least i could explain myself to the CBSA agent that all of these reasons were valid. In the online application, i just feel like even if i attach a letter of explaination, the immigration officer might not even give it a read.

I just found out about this rule this week and have been so stressed out and can't even focus on anything. After spending 7 years in Canada and paying over a 100 grand in tuition, i just might not be given the opportunity to stay. Just the thought of it is giving me chills. Why my school never told me about this rule when i was part time that you can't be a part time being an international student and if you do here are the consequences. No one thinks about a pgwp unless you're actually going to apply for it near graduation time. I appreciate everyone who read this and I apologize for going into detail but i thought it was necessary for understanding my situation. Waiting for advice from all the amazing people here. Thank You!

Last edited:

drajpoot

Champion Member
Aug 4, 2014
Hi
I am sorry, but after reading all your background history I have couple of logical question which you wont like but you must need to have strong justification to prove your self. I am sorry if you get offended from my questions, but if you find answers of these questions definitely you will find a solution. I am just trying to put you in immigration officer's shoes.

Hi everyone. I know this issue has been discussed here in the past but i feel that my situation is a bit different so here i am looking for advice. So a little background. I have had to change 3 universities since i came to Canada in 2012. So i first came to a College called FIC and enrolled in a university transfer program. It is a transfer college located at SFU campus in Burnaby, British Columbia. After 2 years at FIC, i finally transferred to SFU in BA Economics program. After a couple of terms at SFU, i realized that i wanted to get into Accounting so I moved to another university after Fall 2015 (December) term at SFU and enrolled in 2 years Accounting Diploma

After spending 2 years you realized that you have to go in accounting ….???? It does not make any sense, any special reason or what you find
Also even if you find any logical reason, Dint you ever think to finish one thing where you spend 2 years and then go for next what is that urgency that you stopped one program just in middle, Personally I dint get that and does not really make sense to me.

But since the international admissions take a while, i had to take Winter 2016 (January) semester off because i did not get the admission in time. Moving on, i completed my diploma just after 2 terms and graduated in Fall 2015 since i transferred most of my courses from FIC. At this point, I could have applied for a post graduate work permit but after consulting friends and family i decided to complete full Bachelors degree and moved to another university since it was cheaper

Whatever time is required for international admission is always defined cause semesters/classes for each course always scheduled prior to admission, and if in your case if it get delayed what was the reason ??? College was responsible ???
You said you discussed with your family so what they suggest that do not apply for PGWP ???? what was their approach? I do not understand what is the relation between " not to apply PGWP " and "to complete full bachelor degree" are these two things can not be done together ??

Someone is paying fees for 3 year program and then quit after 2 years and then saying he is thinking about a university where fee is cheaper....does not make any sense. Also people usually compare and chose university as per their ranking I never heard anyone want to go university and then thinking which one will be cheaper . Anyone will doubt your intention.....

Well I know its all happened and me , you or anyone can not change also everyone do mistakes but if you think your explanation will create sympathy or force officer to think about you , that will never happen cause the way you are telling even if its true shows your irresponsibility towards your career and life.. Seven years is not a small time and its not college or anyone's responsibility to tell you what you need to do.

I tried to be very honest and straight forward , may be you dont like whatever i mentioned above but this is what exactly anyone gonna think after reading your history and if you put yourself in other's shoes you will conclude the same.

My suggestion better have a logical and strong justification which will support you not the one which you described.

Thanks
D.