Category........
Visa Office......
Ghana / Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Hello everyone,

I need help tackling this issue. When I landed in 2009, I was pregnant. My family was not ready to move permanently then, so we went back to the USA. I had my baby in the USA, and returned to Canada at the beginning of 2010 to live permanently. My infant child is being sponsored by us right now. We are all eligible for healthcare as PR card holders but I am not quiet sure of the health care status of my infant who is not a PR yet.
I need information on what to do as per her healthcare issues, especially immunizations. Would I have to pay for her at the clinics for her immunization? Or buy her insurance? Specifically, does anyone know any laws that address issues that have to do with children of permanent residents and their status and benefits while being sponsored?
Any help, suggestions or experience in this regard? Thanks.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't think your child is getting covered by health care until the sponsorship goes through.

First talk to the health care in your province to make sure if that is the case. If that is the case, get an emergency medical insurance for your child. Vaccinations you can pay for but if your child becomes seriously ill or has an accident and is not insured, you could be out thousands of $.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Is your child still covered under a U.S. health insurance policy? If so, you might consider returning to the U.S. for care if you live close to the border. If it is a $ issue, there are various state based insurance programs your child may be eligible for in the U.S. (depending on the state). Perhaps you might want to consider returning to the U.S. until your child's PR status in Canada comes through?

Deeone

Dec 22, 2006
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ghana / Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Thank you for your suggestions. Leon, I did call my province's health service yesterday and the advice was to fill out the notice of change form and add my baby on as a dependant. I was advised to take the form to any of the Alberta Health Service agents with proof of her status in Canada and some other requirements such as proof of address etc.

When we returned to Canada this year, I asked the immigration officials at the airport about my baby's situation and a document was attached to her passport allowing her to stay in Canada for 12 months , thus enabling her to stay for more than 90days, which would have been the case with her American passport.
She was also given a client ID for her PR application right there at the airport and we were advised to start the filing process before the expiration of the 12 months.
We willl use this document and all other proof that we have and see how it works out. Meanwhile, we are also exploring the option of an emergency medical insurance. Any suggestions on insurance companies?

@Links18. Thanks for your reply too. Unfortunately,our insurance in the USA was employer based and was tied to a work visa. The work visa ended and all other benefits ended too. The closest US state to us in Calgary , I believe is Montana.I think it might be better to simply buy an emergency medical insurance instead of travelling back and forth. Many thanks for your suggestions.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If she does qualify for Alberta Health, she will be covered from day 1 of moving to the province so no need for emergency insurance so try AB health first. If you do need emergency insurance, it's best to look up an insurance broker, tell them what you need and they will find you a good deal.

Deeone

Dec 22, 2006
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ghana / Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........

magiqhand

Oct 7, 2008
I will be in a similar situation. What do you need to get a 12 month stay for the baby. Have you applied for a visa in the USA?
Per my understanding as long as the baby has a document showing that he can stay at least 12 month in alberta, you can add him as a dependant on your health care plan. If you have any useful information please share.
Thanks