+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H1B stamping in Canada?

cvaib

Star Member
May 19, 2017
Hi, I have my H1 renewed for 3 years. I plan to move to Canada and continue working for my US job with travel 1-2 times a month.
Can I gt my H1B stamped in Canada, so that no trips to India have to be made before moving. I know about the AVR process, but sometimes the travel gap can be longer than 30 days so need to be prepared.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hi, I have my H1 renewed for 3 years. I plan to move to Canada and continue working for my US job with travel 1-2 times a month.
Can I gt my H1B stamped in Canada, so that no trips to India have to be made before moving. I know about the AVR process, but sometimes the travel gap can be longer than 30 days so need to be prepared.
https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-ca/niv

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/h1b-visa-stamping-in-canada.621324/

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
You can certainly apply for H1B Visa at a US consulate in Canada. However, if you plan to travel for a 'few' days, you need to apply for B1/B2 Visa for business visits. H1B Visa is for actually working on US payroll from a US location. Consult with an attorney.

cvaib

Star Member
May 19, 2017
You can certainly apply for H1B Visa at a US consulate in Canada. However, if you plan to travel for a 'few' days, you need to apply for B1/B2 Visa for business visits. H1B Visa is for actually working on US payroll from a US location. Consult with an attorney.
Thanks. The problem with B1/B2 visa is that the company wont allow me to do 'billable' work. So, H1B was an option for that. I understand your point. Let me confirm with the attorney.

aspirant9

Nov 8, 2018
Thanks. The problem with B1/B2 visa is that the company wont allow me to do 'billable' work. So, H1B was an option for that. I understand your point. Let me confirm with the attorney.
Hi there,
Could you please share the advise given by your attorney? I am in a similar situation. Thanks in advance.

aspirant9

Nov 8, 2018
Hi, my company advised me to be in Canada and travel very infrequently such as once in 2-3 months.
Thank you so much for replying! Is your company fine with paying you in USD while on H1B and working from Canada remotely in this arrangement? My LCA application has company’s US address and I was not sure how my company can justify this if USCIS officer visits for inspection.

Thanks!

cvaib

Star Member
May 19, 2017
Thank you so much for replying! Is your company fine with paying you in USD while on H1B and working from Canada remotely in this arrangement? My LCA application has company’s US address and I was not sure how my company can justify this if USCIS officer visits for inspection.

Thanks!
No,I will be paid in CAD and my H1 will be surrendered before they can apply for my B1. they cant pay H1 employees on foreign address

aspirant9

Nov 8, 2018
No,I will be paid in CAD and my H1 will be surrendered before they can apply for my B1. they cant pay H1 employees on foreign address
Ok great, do you know how they made arrangement to pay you in CAD? I am assuming they don’t have Canada branch.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Actually, the currency of the salary does not matter. What matters is whether taxes are paid to US or Canada. If the US company has payroll function that can handle Canadian taxes, that will be fine.

dauntless84

Sep 25, 2017
Guys,

I hope to get some answer here from you in regard to H1B's consular processing. I will be honest with you guys, I'm quite tired of trying for the H1B program, been in the US from the last decade and no change on my H1B Luck.

Right now I'm on F1 Visa and wanted to know if I have to leave the country if my H1B gets approved under Consular Processing? Or, can I continue to complete my Masters and then go outside the country for the H1B Stamping?

I dont wish to pay for premium processing.

Dan

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Guys,

I hope to get some answer here from you in regard to H1B's consular processing. I will be honest with you guys, I'm quite tired of trying for the H1B program, been in the US from the last decade and no change on my H1B Luck.

Right now I'm on F1 Visa and wanted to know if I have to leave the country if my H1B gets approved under Consular Processing? Or, can I continue to complete my Masters and then go outside the country for the H1B Stamping?

I dont wish to pay for premium processing.

Dan
If H1B petition gets approved without change of status (as consular notification), then your current status remains valid. You can continue to hold it as long as you wish. If you want to change to H1B at some time in future, while the petition remains valid, you can leave the US, obtain H1B Visa and return in H1B status. However, practically it will be better if you don't delay it too much. Assuming H1B petition is valid for 3 years, I would recommend changing to H1B status within the first year.

dauntless84

Sep 25, 2017
If H1B petition gets approved without change of status (as consular notification), then your current status remains valid. You can continue to hold it as long as you wish. If you want to change to H1B at some time in future, while the petition remains valid, you can leave the US, obtain H1B Visa and return in H1B status. However, practically it will be better if you don't delay it too much. Assuming H1B petition is valid for 3 years, I would recommend changing to H1B status within the first year.
Thank you very much!

Dan