+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

h1 b status, expired visa. Can I re-enter USA?

grapz

Sep 1, 2014
Hey guys,

Just wanted to know what others experiences with this situation.

I am a PR holder of Canada. I have a current H1 B status in the states working in the medical profession. My previous F1B visa has expired but i would like to visit Canada to see my husband.

This would be for a short period of time less than 30 days. Will there be any issues when I try to re-enter the USA? given that I have an expired VISA but current H1 B status?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hey guys,

I am a PR holder of Canada. I have a current H1 B status in the states working in the medical profession. My previous F1B visa has expired but i would like to visit Canada to see my husband.

This would be for a short period of time less than 30 days. Will there be any issues when I try to re-enter the USA? given that I have an expired VISA but current H1 B status?
It should be fine while on reentry to US as long as:
1. You have valid I94 currently extended/issued by uscis or cbp.
2. You have few months+ left on your H1 approved petition.
3. (if asked) Have reason to explain your visit to Canada and within 30 days.
4. (if asked) Have recent payslips or letter from employer on your leave - basically proving that you still have job in US and employer is still supporting you.
Note: While moving my goods and returning to US via road (I kept my previously stapled I94 at home as i received newly stamped I94 upon my previous entry via flight), the officer was noticing that previously stapled area and asked where is that I94 and i said i dont have it as this stamped one is the recent one. Then he asked for my license to check if i live here. So carry some ID for your current address if you have. We get to encounter some new questions once in a while but this should not be a mandatory thing but he was just trying to clear his doubts if i was living in US.

While entering Canada side:
They might ask on why you are going, are you moving permanently, when are you moving permanently and why not, etc. Rest should be fine as long as you have been meeting residency requirements.

Last edited:

Bill922

Nov 26, 2018
Hey guys,

any updates? friend.
expired H1B stamp, valid I-94?

grapz

Sep 1, 2014
Works fine. No issues. Expect a bit longer time for processing once crossing boarder.