+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Graduate Certificate course

shersingh

Oct 5, 2017
Hello Guys, I have a 4 years bachelors degree from India and WES evaluated it as Bachelors.

I am looking to improve my CRS and thinking of pursuing a certificate course here in the USA while I continue with my job. I have looked at many colleges that offer online option: Boston University, UMASS, Harvard Extension school. The typical course has 12-18 credits and takes 8-12 months to complete.

So, my question is -
1. Will I have any issues evaluating my online certificate course, I see the college name in the WES drop-down list of colleges.

2. Will I be able to claim points for 2 or more certificates?

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Unless you get to know someone who has taken the exact route and got that evaluation, please avoid taking this route. Have you looked for cheap online Masters option? It would take additional 8-12 months, but you would have an guaranteed Masters evaluation as an outcome. Also it will add value to your career, no matter where you work, for all your life.

shersingh

Oct 5, 2017
Unless you get to know someone who has taken the exact route and got that evaluation, please avoid taking this route. Have you looked for cheap online Masters option? It would take additional 8-12 months, but you would have an guaranteed Masters evaluation as an outcome. Also it will add value to your career, no matter where you work, for all your life.
Thanks for responding... The same college allows to take 8 more courses in next year or up to 5 years and they would upgrade to a master in computer science. But, still it would be a online master's degree- will wes evaluate online master's course?

I m trying to find out anyone who has applied for bachelors and 8-12 months grad certificate

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Thanks for responding... The same college allows to take 8 more courses in next year or up to 5 years and they would upgrade to a master in computer science. But, still it would be a online master's degree- will wes evaluate online master's course?

I m trying to find out anyone who has applied for bachelors and 8-12 months grad certificate
As far as I know they should have no problems evaluating a online master degree. In US, it is seen at par with regular degree and recognized everywhere. Even uscis acknowledges online masters as long as it is from accredited university.

Good that you'll have options to upgrade it to masters if required. Let us see if there is someone who completed graduate course.

shersingh

Oct 5, 2017
As far as I know they should have no problems evaluating a online master degree. In US, it is seen at par with regular degree and recognized everywhere. Even uscis acknowledges online masters as long as it is from accredited university.

Good that you'll have options to upgrade it to masters if required. Let us see if there is someone who completed graduate course.
After some more research, I have found that colleges here don't specify on transcripts if the course was online/ blended/ in-classroom. So, that part should be good.

My only concern now is, how many credit course should suffice. I see some course with 12 credits, while some with 16. A 12 credit course is cheaper, so is my inclination. But. not sure what will IRCC/ WES threshold be.

leo_mcc

Aug 14, 2015
After some more research, I have found that colleges here don't specify on transcripts if the course was online/ blended/ in-classroom. So, that part should be good.

My only concern now is, how many credit course should suffice. I see some course with 12 credits, while some with 16. A 12 credit course is cheaper, so is my inclination. But. not sure what will IRCC/ WES threshold be.
Can you please update me your decision. I am also planning to take course with 12 credits but was doubting if it should be minimum 15. Eagerly waiting for your reply.
Also did you connect with Boston and asked if they mention online on transcripts

shersingh

Oct 5, 2017
Can you please update me your decision. I am also planning to take course with 12 credits but was doubting if it should be minimum 15. Eagerly waiting for your reply.
Also did you connect with Boston and asked if they mention online on transcripts
Here is what i found..
Almost all online colleges in USA do not write online on final degree.

I would recommend to not go ahead with graduate certificate. A 16 credit may end up as 1 semester equivalent.
U would want at least 2 full-time semesters worth of study - this is considered 1 academic year. So at least 30 credits. The only option seems a 30 credit online master's( I found most programs run 12 in fall, 12 in spring,6 in summer). I checked a few master's program from Canada and they also start at 30 credits and go up to 64 or so..
30 seems to be the threshold for 1 year program.

Here is one of the links for reference, I found many from USA and Canada. Both systems are pretty similar.....
https://www.mastersportal.com/articles/1110/what-you-need-to-know-about-academic-credit-systems-in-the-us.html

Last edited:

shersingh

Oct 5, 2017
Fyi...I m starting a MS starting Monday.hoping to study my ass and work full time and complete by same time next year...

Ram89

Star Member
Oct 5, 2018
Here is what i found..
Almost all online colleges in USA do not write online on final degree.

I would recommend to not go ahead with graduate certificate. A 16 credit may end up as 1 semester equivalent.
U would want at least 2 full-time semesters worth of study - this is considered 1 academic year. So at least 30 credits. The only option seems a 30 credit online master's( I found most programs run 12 in fall, 12 in spring,6 in summer). I checked a few master's program from Canada and they also start at 30 credits and go up to 64 or so..
30 seems to be the threshold for 1 year program.

Here is one of the links for reference, I found many from USA and Canada. Both systems are pretty similar.....
https://www.mastersportal.com/articles/1110/what-you-need-to-know-about-academic-credit-systems-in-the-us.html
Graduate certificate in Canada is 15 credits as well. Are you comparing master's degree ?